2019 Applicants

11 hours ago, jr246 said:

any updates from those who haven't heard from UVA?

8 hours ago, Ubah1 said:

I am yet to hear from UVA. My department said they will round up admission decision in March. Hopefully we hear from them by then.

7 hours ago, amphilanthus said:

still nothing here, too, and still going crazy over it! just want to officially be done.

@Ubah1 I hope you hear back from your department soon with great news! fingers crossed. sadly we’re on the English side of things here, and they’ve said all acceptances/waitlists are out - just rolling out bad news at a glacial pace for whatever reason :(

Just called UVA and asked because I remember the process. Really nice staff and faculty! Here's what I was told: The first round of offers have gone out at UVA. If you haven't heard by now, it's probable that you're on a waitlist and UVA is still waiting to hear back from their first round offers. It's also possible that your file is in the middle and they haven't quite determined what to do with it. The majority of rejections have gone out but not all of them have gone out.

12 minutes ago, Warelin said:

Just called UVA and asked because I remember the process. Really nice staff and faculty! Here's what I was told: The first round of offers have gone out at UVA. If you haven't heard by now, it's probable that you're on a waitlist and UVA is still waiting to hear back from their first round offers. It's also possible that your file is in the middle and they haven't quite determined what to do with it. The majority of rejections have gone out but not all of them have gone out.

thank you for being a saint as always and going to the trouble of getting this information! this is all so interesting... really helpful to have some context to the mysterious limbo. the maybe-unofficial-waitlist-maybe-not wait is not my favorite thing ever.

looks like we’ll be holding our breath for a little while longer! ‘til then, here’s to the UVA Mystery Gang. 

6 minutes ago, amphilanthus said:

thank you for being a saint as always and going to the trouble of getting this information! this is all so interesting... really helpful to have some context to the mysterious limbo. the maybe-unofficial-waitlist-maybe-not wait is not my favorite thing ever.

Ah yes, I remember husband being on the 'unofficial waitlist' at Brown last year. Very odd and anxiety-inducing! Lol.

2 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Ah yes, I remember husband being on the 'unofficial waitlist' at Brown last year. Very odd and anxiety-inducing! Lol.

And I told you that Harvard and Brown were just deciding who gets him!

2 minutes ago, punctilious said:

LOL and this is why everyone loves you here. You had faith when we didn't!

Let's just hope that teaching-focused colleges are as kind to me! 

This forum is great. We get a bunch of incredible people each year. I just wished more of them stayed after their application season. There is so much we could learn from each other and form really strong CVs together! The potential for joint scholarship and friendships are so powerful on this forum.

I love you all lol. I know I haven't talked a lot (and when I do I always feel like my stressed/anxious side comes out, haven't really expressed a lot of happy thoughts on here) but I just have to say that during my lurker years, reading applications/acceptances threads has been an absolute joy to read. I've rooted for so many of you behind the scenes, and I'm so happy for all good news that all of you received :) 

with admission season over for me and final decision made, that little tape recorder in the back of my head is finally off lol. I've finally gotten a good night's sleep after a January and February of anxious waiting.

I'll try to stick around for the next cycle and see if I can dole out whatever advice I can. Can't wait to start in the upcoming Fall.

1 hour ago, Warelin said:

Thank you for this. Not sure how to feel about potential invisible maybe waitlists. I need to add a new color in my signature for this.

43 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

@jadeisokay Honestly, same. Haven't posted or been on as much, but I've still been lurking all the topics! 

ah i was thinking about you the other day reading something about chicago and was hoping you're hanging in there! 

hi all! newcomer here! glad to have found this space, which seems a bit more inviting than those results boards.... yikes.

so i'm currently looking at one acceptance to my last choice school (i'm waiting to hear from two other schools, but not holding my breath any longer). the school i've been accepted to is a decent school - top 20, but not top 10 like the other schools i applied to. so, i'm not a shut out. but do people decline and apply again, even if they got into a decent school? i just let my hopes get raised and now feel confused about whether it was my materials that kept me from being accepted in more places, or if was truly just a numbers game that i lost (and lost, and lost, and lost). 

i know you only need one but... what if the one you get is the one you wanted the least? is it a pride thing for me to swallow, or do people really reapply next cycle and do better? these are my existential questions lmao

anyways, any insight would be great, my new internet friends!

On 2/28/2019 at 4:44 PM, sadgworl said:

hi all! newcomer here! glad to have found this space, which seems a bit more inviting than those results boards.... yikes.

so i'm currently looking at one acceptance to my last choice school (i'm waiting to hear from two other schools, but not holding my breath any longer). the school i've been accepted to is a decent school - top 20, but not top 10 like the other schools i applied to. so, i'm not a shut out. but do people decline and apply again, even if they got into a decent school? i just let my hopes get raised and now feel confused about whether it was my materials that kept me from being accepted in more places, or if was truly just a numbers game that i lost (and lost, and lost, and lost). 

i know you only need one but... what if the one you get is the one you wanted the least? is it a pride thing for me to swallow, or do people really reapply next cycle and do better? these are my existential questions lmao

anyways, any insight would be great, my new internet friends!

Hi there, welcome :) I was very caught up in this while I was getting rejected (UCI was my joint 2nd choice with Washington when I applied, and it was my one acceptance) and almost had flashes (I basically considered this not long ago. Getting my last rejection and taking a few hours to think helped me clear my head though, and I don't feel nearly as anxious now that there's a concrete Fall 2019 plan) where I ping-ponged between wanting to see if I should apply again for more options (up to and including taking a few years off to do other things) or commit to the program. I decided to do the latter, as I loved the school too much to resist it. There's no shame in having just one, sometimes it really takes just one program to launch you. If it's a top 20 program, it's nothing to sneeze at. PhD programs across the board are infamously difficult to get into, which means that school believes in you strongly and wants you as a student.

If it's the one you wanted the least, tbh there's a lot of dynamics and personal variables that play into the choice of being in a PhD program so if it's not the kind of school that will make you happy for the next 5-6 years (and personally happy/balanced as well), it's important that's considered. I'd say... take a look at the resources that the program has, your funding offer, and figure out what kind of 'fit' they saw in you that you may have missed. I was blindsided when I got my one acceptance, but taking a look at the faculty I didn't list in my SoP post-acceptance, I realized that the program had the kind of deep faculty strength that would allow flexibility for my research trajectory. You don't have to swallow though if the campus really rubs you the wrong way or if you can't imagine yourself the next 5-6 years in the department. Also, take a look at the placement record, the kinds of students that your PoIs have taken in, and what kind of opportunities there are. (have you visited the campus of your one acceptance yet?) Use the chance to get to know the department and for the department to woo you, and then approach from there.

The one thing I usually see and read from people visiting campuses is that's usually the moment that the final decision is made just a bit clearer. So I'd say, get the lay of the land of the program that accepted you in person and then decide after if you want to re-apply or if you're going to commit to the school.

1 hour ago, jadeisokay said:

ah i was thinking about you the other day reading something about chicago and was hoping you're hanging in there! 

That's wild because I was thinking about you the other day because someone in my class was talking about Russian film!!

I am hanging in there--applied to the Villanova funded MA, and am crossing my fingers. What about you? How are backup plans/second tries shaping up?

13 hours ago, spectrum-in said:

Still haven't heard! Ugh! I know they accept people into their MA program and I can't remember whether I asked them to or not...NYU...let me go.....

I didn't ask to be considered for the MA, so maybe you did and that's why you're in a later batch? 

48 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

That's wild because I was thinking about you the other day because someone in my class was talking about Russian film!!

I am hanging in there--applied to the Villanova funded MA, and am crossing my fingers. What about you? How are backup plans/second tries shaping up?

hah, it's a small and funny world. good luck and fingers crossed for you! i thought about applying there but ultimately didn't feel it was a good fit and instead applied for a teaching fellowship in nyc. i'm still waiting on a few decisions and waitlist movements but already thinking about 2020. it's too much. i'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and so, so ready.

2 hours ago, jadeisokay said:

hah, it's a small and funny world. good luck and fingers crossed for you! i thought about applying there but ultimately didn't feel it was a good fit and instead applied for a teaching fellowship in nyc. i'm still waiting on a few decisions and waitlist movements but already thinking about 2020. it's too much. i'm leaving for vacation tomorrow morning and so, so ready.

Yeah, I can definitely see that about Villanova in terms of your interests. There were a few good 20th/21st c fem/gen people there, and their summer theatre program in Ireland seemed really ideal for me. I had a phone call with the program director and he seemed great, so I'm hopeful!

Ooof I hope you enjoy that vacation. I'm leaving for vacation in a week and I'm feeling the exact same way. Keep us updated on the teaching fellowship!