Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In at yale, oh my god

Friends!!! I just had a paper on dynamics of embodied race in Kate Chopin's "Desiree's Baby" accepted for publication in an undergraduate research journal! I am OVER THE MOON! My first academic public

I would very much like to know where/if I am going to graduate school !!

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, dilby said:

723722956_ScreenShot2019-01-17at12_56_03PM.png.4b518b34b7ebedc41a955540d1809ccf.png

The first poem of hers that I fell in love with and one that basically encapsulates what made her so special to me

This was also the first poem of hers that I fell in love with. 

Today, I am thinking on this one--"Death at a Great Distance" https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?volume=152&issue=4&page=9

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2019 at 11:04 PM, rxing963 said:

@jadeisokay dude r u and i the same person? i was just watching the colts v. chiefs playoffs and love hockey lol... i try to hit the gym 3-4 days of the week but usually end up working out nearly every day bc i love sweat and adrenaline

what's everyone been reading?  i've been reading a lot, too, currently finishing up the three-body problem by liu cixin and will move onto some music oral history books.  what are some good book recs y'all have?

EDIT: does anyone use goodreads?  i could really use some friends on there for recs

I totally missed this post. we do appear to be the same person, hah. who you rooting for on sunday? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone been watching Tidying Up on Netflix?  I found a new hobby to get me through the next few weeks- throwing things away!  I've already done my closet and all of my makeup.  I'm telling myself I'm making it easier to move wherever I end up getting in ?

Edited by kendalldinniene
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Welp, the fact that I didn't get an interview email from Chicago has officially activated A New Level™ of decision anxiety. Catch me deploying the dubious coping mechanism of reading and rereading Sedgwick for the next several hours while eating cookies!

I'm right there with you, @Bopie5

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, illcounsel said:

YES! I am loving the positivity in the series and the articles about gender dynamics / the invisibility of women's labor

It makes me think of this article "I Stand Here Limpiando: Maternal Knowledge, Chicana Subjectivity, and Mother-Daughter Bonding" by Christina Herrera.  It's all about recognizing the communicative, inter-generational power of women's labor.  Super cool stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kendalldinniene said:

It makes me think of this article "I Stand Here Limpiando: Maternal Knowledge, Chicana Subjectivity, and Mother-Daughter Bonding" by Christina Herrera.  It's all about recognizing the communicative, inter-generational power of women's labor.  Super cool stuff

I'll add that to me reading list! Sounds wonderful!

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Anyone been watching Tidying Up on Netflix?  I found a new hobby to get me through the next few weeks- throwing things away!  I've already done my closet and all of my makeup.  I'm telling myself I'm making it easier to move wherever I end up getting in ?

I’m being the balance in the universe. 

I’ve been hitting up the thrift stores buying the books and treasures that don’t spark joy in others! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Bopie5 said:

Welp, the fact that I didn't get an interview email from Chicago has officially activated A New Level™ of decision anxiety. Catch me deploying the dubious coping mechanism of reading and rereading Sedgwick for the next several hours while eating cookies!

im running on less than three hours of sleep today but this certainly jolted me awake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bopie5 said:

Welp, the fact that I didn't get an interview email from Chicago has officially activated A New Level™ of decision anxiety. Catch me deploying the dubious coping mechanism of reading and rereading Sedgwick for the next several hours while eating cookies!

Welp, off I go to the liquor store lol. Hopefully reading some good ol' Celine or Platonov will make me feel better.

Whilst on that subject, what books do you guys turn to cope with the world?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

what books do you guys turn to cope with the world?

The Winter's Tale, pretty much always

Here is a top-notch full audio production that I have listened to probably five times, including once today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06d27b2

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Much to my shame, I've never read James Baldwin! Any suggestions for which of his works I should read first?

No shame!  I was able to take a class on his work in undergrad and fell in love.

If Beale Street Could Talk is excellent and there's now a movie on it that I highly recommend.

Giovanni's Room is my favorite, I wrote my undergrad capstone on it, and Go Tell it on the Mountain is excellent (his first novel and semi-autobiographical).  

He also wrote a billion essays which are phenomenal, there's one in particular about his good friend Lorraine Hansberry right after she died called "Sweet Lorraine" that is just lovely.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

No shame!  I was able to take a class on his work in undergrad and fell in love.

If Beale Street Could Talk is excellent and there's now a movie on it that I highly recommend.

Giovanni's Room is my favorite, I wrote my undergrad capstone on it, and Go Tell it on the Mountain is excellent (his first novel and semi-autobiographical).  

He also wrote a billion essays which are phenomenal, there's one in particular about his good friend Lorraine Hansberry right after she died called "Sweet Lorraine" that is just lovely.  

 

Thanks for the suggestions! I've heard a lot of people love Giovanni's Room, so maybe I'll start there

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Whilst on that subject, what books do you guys turn to cope with the world?

Tove Janssen’s stories are such a warm, idyllic comfort from the world. (But right now, i’m just playing Florence and the Machine’s Big God on repeat because I’m feeling a bit ghosted by Chicago.)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.