5 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

anyone read some good poem lately?

I've been digging back into the work of Czeslaw Milosz, who is a particular fave of mine. 

Also, I bought Ocean Vuong's Night Sky with Exit Wounds at a Planned Parenthood used book sale in the fall, and just now got around to reading it. It's AMAZING.

I'm also a huge fan of Chen Chen. These three are probably my favorites of his:

Poplar Street: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/58154/poplar-street

Poem in Noisy Mouthfuls: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/143242/poem-in-noisy-mouthfuls

I'm Not A Religious Person But https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/58152/im-not-a-religious-person-but

Also recommend signing up for the poets.org Poem-A-Day thing--sends one poem every morning to your email!

Edited by Bopie5

4 minutes ago, pdh12 said:

@kendalldinniene oooo ever read her Ode to the Douche? It breathes new life onto anyone you then deem worthy of the term

I just watched her read it on youtube at the Crocker Museum in Sacramento, where I live!  So cool, thanks for the rec

@Bopie5 love poem a day!

Edited by kendalldinniene

Just now, stressbot3000 said:

I’m so jealous of the scientists rn 

Riiiigggghhhhtttt?  All those psych students getting their results in December made me positively green.

3 minutes ago, stressbot3000 said:

I’m so jealous of the scientists rn 

Yeahhh but I am not so jealous of how most have to apply separately to work in particular labs first, and then apply to the program!

Anyone been like tracking most likely times to get contact? Lol 

I feel like the earliest I’ve gotten was after 10am,  I got an email at 4am once, and several in the evening/night, after standard working hours. 

3 minutes ago, j.alicea said:

Yeahhh but I am not so jealous of how most have to apply separately to work in particular labs first, and then apply to the program!

Ok fair. But still...

7 minutes ago, j.alicea said:

Lol don't ruin my pity party with your science sympathizing and, you know, facts ? 

5 minutes ago, arbie said:

Anyone been like tracking most likely times to get contact? Lol 

This is some next level shit, and I respect it.

Also that new Washington U acceptance made my heart stop for a second thinking it was UW, which I shouldn't hear from for like a month.

5 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Also that new Washington U acceptance made my heart stop for a second thinking it was UW, which I shouldn't hear from for like a month.

YOU just made MY heart stop because I thought it was WSU for a second!!! When will this torture end?!

5 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

YOU just made MY heart stop because I thought it was WSU for a second!!! When will this torture end?!

Damnit, I'm a part of the problem ??

I grew up in Lewiston, Idaho, just down the hill from Pullman, if you have an questions about the area that could use some 14 year old answers ;) 

4 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

I grew up in Lewiston, Idaho, just down the hill from Pullman, if you have an questions about the area that could use some 14 year old answers ;) 

I might take you up on that if I hear from them!! I've lived in a big city for nearly a decade so Pullman would be a huge change of pace for me.

2 minutes ago, placeinspace said:

I might take you up on that if I hear from them!! I've lived in a big city for nearly a decade so Pullman would be a huge change of pace for me.

Fingers crossed for you.  I've heard Pullman has gotten a lot ~groovier~ over the last decade.  I'm assuming Lewiston is all still 80s bangs and weekends at the roller rink, but Pullman was always a lot cooler.

57 minutes ago, kendalldinniene said:

Fingers crossed for you.  I've heard Pullman has gotten a lot ~groovier~ over the last decade.  I'm assuming Lewiston is all still 80s bangs and weekends at the roller rink, but Pullman was always a lot cooler.

Haha this is good to hear!! I’ve also heard there’s more to do just across the border in Moscow, but because of the residency rules you can’t actually live there at WSU, which makes sense but is a bit of a bummer!

1 hour ago, arbie said:

I feel like the earliest I’ve gotten was after 10am,  I got an email at 4am once, and several in the evening/night, after standard working hours. 

I think you're one of the few of us that has this much information to track! A note on late emails--If it's a form email that automatically goes out when something is submitted in a system, then that might be why it was sent after standard working hours. At the university I work at, a lot of emails go out at after midnight when the system refreshes. 

Anyone else apply to WUSTL? Seems a little too early for people to be hearing results since apps were due on 7th--or is that just me trying to rationalize away the reality of another implied rejection?  ?

20 minutes ago, SomeoneAcceptMe said:

Anyone else apply to WUSTL? Seems a little too early for people to be hearing results since apps were due on 7th--or is that just me trying to rationalize away the reality of another implied rejection? 

I also applied to WUSTL (and Rice) and haven't heard from either. My mom asked if she should call to let them know how wonderful I am, but I'll leave that as a last resort.

34 minutes ago, beardedlady said:

I also applied to WUSTL (and Rice) and haven't heard from either. My mom asked if she should call to let them know how wonderful I am, but I'll leave that as a last resort.

Omg I love your mom

oh dang, i just realized---if anyone ends up going to Notre Dame and wants a lil info on housing, we could talk! (insert positive-self-fulfilling prophecy here)

((edit: mainly cuz i'm moving first thing in may))

Edited by pdh12