Fall 2019 Phd Social Work /Welfare

Number4

Hey everyone ! 

I searched this topic and only saw a post for Phd applicants from Canada. I know that it's early but applications are opening in early August , and I was wondering if anyone was thinking of applying for the Fall 2019 cycle and what your research interest are/what is your background, etc.  !  

I am interested in researching: urban mental health, mental health disparities, and perinatal mental health.

Tentatively, I am planning on applying to:  Phd- U of Houston, U of Illinois- Chicago, DSW- Tulane, and UPenn 

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be throwing my hat into the ring.

My research interests center around young people experiencing homelessness and housing instability. My background includes work in direct services, local government, and applied research. MSW '14 in Management in Planning from UC Berkeley.

USC, UCLA, and UPenn are on my list.

• 1 month later...

Me too! Right now UNC-CH is my first choice, but also considering Penn and UW in Seattle. Research interests are international social development/use of technology to alleviate social and economic disparities in low-resource communities/participatory action research. 

My GRE score is just under 300. I've taken it twice and gotten the same exact score. I don't think I'm going to have time to study and take it again before this cycle, so we'll see how it goes. I have a BSW from the University of Vermont '14 and an MSW '17 from the University of Michigan. I did an independent research study as an undergrad and got published as a first author, hoping this counts more than the GRE. 

Does anyone have any insights on minimum GRE scores at these schools? 

Good luck all!

Count me in!

Interest areas: Military Social Work, Intervention Design and Research, Trauma/ Suicide Prevention and Intervention

Schools I am looking at/ applied to: University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, Florida State University, University of South Florida

Schools I considered: ASU, USC (CA), University of Georgia Athens

I’m OCD so I already have one application fully submitted and another one almost done. 

On 7/25/2018 at 4:03 PM, Number4 said:

Hey everyone ! 

I searched this topic and only saw a post for Phd applicants from Canada. I know that it's early but applications are opening in early August , and I was wondering if anyone was thinking of applying for the Fall 2019 cycle and what your research interest are/what is your background, etc.  !  

I am interested in researching: urban mental health, mental health disparities, and perinatal mental health.

Tentatively, I am planning on applying to:  Phd- U of Houston, U of Illinois- Chicago, DSW- Tulane, and UPenn 

I created a thread already...

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I will also be applying to schools this fall. Previous background in research with suicidal adolescents followed by policy and research with the Philadelphia Mayor's anti-poverty office. My GRE scores: Writing-5, VR-157, QR-148 (so not that strong, but I have extensive research experience and decent statistical skills). I am currently getting my Master's at the University of Pennsylvania. My research interests can be summed up into: Researching and utilizing systems that provide efficient access to services for local city governments

The schools I will apply to in order of preference: University of Washington, Denver University, University of Chicago, University of Southern California, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, University of Maryland, Rutger's University

On 9/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, CurseTen said:

Count me in!

Interest areas: Military Social Work, Intervention Design and Research, Trauma/ Suicide Prevention and Intervention

Schools I am looking at/ applied to: University of Alabama Tuscaloosa, Florida State University, University of South Florida

Schools I considered: ASU, USC (CA), University of Georgia Athens

I’m OCD so I already have one application fully submitted and another one almost done. 

Is  USF’s program up and running again? The last time I checked it was on a hiatus 

On 10/1/2018 at 8:53 AM, Number4 said:

Is  USF’s program up and running again? The last time I checked it was on a hiatus 

I corresponded with one of the professors in the program, they are accepting applications for the 2019 cohort. 

I'm applying this season as well! Interested in child welfare and trauma. I'm planning on applying to UC Berkeley, UCLA, University of Washington, University of Chicago, and University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. I might cross one or two off my list before the end of the application season, though.

I have a BA in Psychology with a minor in Sexuality Studies from UC Davis and an MSSW with a concentration in Administration and Policy Planning from University of Texas at Austin.

No clinical experience post-LMSW, but a few years-ish of research experience.

GRE scores: 162 V 155 Q 5.5 AWA.

Right now I'm in the middle of securing my letters of recommendation and I still have a LOT of work to do on my statements of purpose.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Number4 said:

? I know priority application deadlines for a lot of schools have passed, so I wonder if anyone else has applied yet for this cycle !

I finished both of my applications last month. UCLA was also originally on my list, but I decided not to apply. Now we play the waiting game.

1 hour ago, briefinterviews said:

I finished both of my applications last month. UCLA was also originally on my list, but I decided not to apply. Now we play the waiting game.

I am on the waiting game too. Frankly speaking, I am very nervous because I heard many of other applicants have at least 2 publications or 1 first-author publication..... Also, my GRE is not strong enough... 

I am applying to clinical psych phds and added one phd sw as a backup since my masters in social work. The school is stating that the statement should be up to 12 pages. My psych statements were 2 pages so Im freaking out. 12 pges?? I think mine will be around 5. I hope to submit it tom. How many pages were your statements? It seesm lie they do want a lot of personal info as opposed to the psych statements.

16 minutes ago, AlexandraF said:

I am applying to clinical psych phds and added one phd sw as a backup since my masters in social work. The school is stating that the statement should be up to 12 pages. My psych statements were 2 pages so Im freaking out. 12 pges?? I think mine will be around 5. I hope to submit it tom. How many pages were your statements? It seesm lie they do want a lot of personal info as opposed to the psych statements. 

No more than two pages for all of my SW SOPs.

2 hours ago, AlexandraF said:

The longest SOP I wrote is around 7 pages. But most of my SOPs are set as less than 5 pages (in "double space" condition)

Edited by royerful0

21 hours ago, royerful0 said:

I am on the waiting game too. Frankly speaking, I am very nervous because I heard many of other applicants have at least 2 publications or 1 first-author publication..... Also, my GRE is not strong enough... 

I am sure your application is strong in other ways; the important thing is that you are giving yourself the opportunity to succeed by applying. I know PhD students whose GREs weren't great or who had little to no formal research experience before matriculating, but they brought other strengths to the table and demonstrated potential. One professor I spoke with said the GREs are essentially a formality and that programs don't expect applicants to be published (although it doesn't hurt). I get a sense that programs try to bring a diverse cohort together -- you may very well be one program's missing piece.

On 1/2/2019 at 4:19 PM, royerful0 said:

Don't worry, the GRE is just a measure of how well you take the test. I think your research statement and "fit" are far more important.

Thank you, Noegenesis & briefinterviews !

Your positive feedback is really helpful for people like me in the waiting game.  

PS: The school I am applying to includes: Uni of Minnesota, Michigan State U, CUNY, & NYU

(Which school did you apply for? Thx u so much)

Edited by royerful0

On 1/2/2019 at 8:30 PM, AlexandraF said:

12 pages for a statement? Are you sure this isn't for a writing sample separate from the statement. The maximum statement I wrote was 3 pages, but one school also asked for a 8-10 page writing sample 

On 1/3/2019 at 4:30 AM, AlexandraF said:

My statement for UNC's PhD SW was 13 pages including 3 pages of references. They had like 8-9 questions I think. And I basically had to outline all prior research in the area I'm interested in and then what exactly I'd want to do my research in during the program. 

On 1/6/2019 at 5:05 PM, Number4 said:

12 pages for a statement? Are you sure this isn't for a writing sample separate from the statement. The maximum statement I wrote was 3 pages, but one school also asked for a 8-10 page writing sample 

It said up to 12 pages so I wasn’t sure what that meant. Thanks to the lovely folks here I kept it at what felt natural to me which was maybe about 4 pages double spaced? Or was it 3? I’d need to check.