Fall 2019 Phd Social Work /Welfare

Number4

Hi all, 

Do you know if Social Work PhD's do interviews for candidates or do they just accept or reject based on the app. 

Psychology programs do interviews before determining acceptance and I wasn't sure if it's the same in Social Work? 

Also, does anyone know of schools with MSW's that provide funding? 

1 hour ago, 9 of cups said:

Hi all, 

Do you know if Social Work PhD's do interviews for candidates or do they just accept or reject based on the app. 

Psychology programs do interviews before determining acceptance and I wasn't sure if it's the same in Social Work? 

It depends on the program. There are a lot of Social Work Ph.D. programs that will admit without an interview. Some programs I believe interview all applicants, while others may interview a strong applicant if they want to learn more about them through an interview.

There are defintely a lot of MSW programs that offer some form of scholarship funding.

6 minutes ago, 9 of cups said:

thanks, 

anyone know anything about Rutger's Phd process? 

I have a ton of experience and would want full funding for an MSW--are there specific programs folks know of that offer this? 

I'm unsure of any specific programs that offer full-funding for an MSW, but I do know that UT Austin recently received a 25 million dollar endowment, where a large chunk of it will go to funding MSW students. I would also look at any schools, or their affiliated field partners, who have secured HRSA funding because it is a $10,000 grant/scholarship you receive for doing a placement in integrated health care (the type of funding is going to depend on the place--for example, I received it from a school who wrote in their proposal that they wanted to give it to students as a check, which was great but you'll have to pay taxes on it when you file the following year). Otherwise, it's probably best to call programs specifically and also to look through the scholarships/grants/awards they offer to students--some are automatic depending on how competitive a candidate and some you may have the opportunity to apply for. 

Best of luck!

9 hours ago, 9 of cups said:

Hi all, 

Hey, 

All of the programs I applied for required interview, unfortunately ?. And I didn't receive " funding" for my MSW but was able to attend for free with a Graduate Research Assistantship. I know there are some schools that may offer scholarships though, but not in the same vein as Phd funding 

3 minutes ago, Number4 said:

Hey, 

All of the programs I applied for required interview, unfortunately ?. And I didn't receive " funding" for my MSW but was able to attend for free with a Graduate Research Assistantship. I know there are some schools that may offer scholarships though, but not in the same vein as Phd funding 

Would you mind saying what school you attended for your MSW? Or could I PM you if you don't want to share publicly?

I just saw on the results tracker that three people have received acceptances from the University of Chicago. They are my top choice school and I have good relationships there so expect I would at least receive a waitlist decision. I'm crossing my fingers that someone is just very busy and hasn't gotten around to calling me since results seem to have initially gone out via phone calls on 2/6/19.

So much anxiety...

1 hour ago, ChiNative said:

I just saw on the results tracker that three people have received acceptances from the University of Chicago. They are my top choice school and I have good relationships there so expect I would at least receive a waitlist decision. I'm crossing my fingers that someone is just very busy and hasn't gotten around to calling me since results seem to have initially gone out via phone calls on 2/6/19. 

So much anxiety...

I hope you get in!

Hello everyone, 

I am an international student and applied to lot of schools (U of Michigan, U of Wisconsin, Columbia, Boston University, U of Penn, U of Chicago, Boston College, U of Washington, etc.)

This Friday I was requested an interview from Boston Univetsity. They told me they are planning this interview early next week. Is anyone having an interview with BU? Is this only for international studetns?

I caved and created a profile. I have been checking in over the past few months. I have applied to UT Austin, Uni of Maryland Baltimore, and Rutgers. I have not heard anything yet and I am getting anxious. ? I know I am very capable and have potential for success in a PhD program but my application is definitely not as pretty as some of yours. My focus is substance use, including policy, treatment industry regulation, and intervention research and dissemination. Let's get this show on the road!

Edited by QueMono

1 hour ago, QueMono said:

I caved and created a profile. I have been checking in over the past few months. I have applied to UT Austin, Uni of Maryland Baltimore, and Rutgers. I have not heard anything yet and I am getting anxious. ? I know I am very capable and have potential for success in a PhD program but my application is definitely not as pretty as some of yours. My focus is substance use, including policy, treatment industry regulation, and intervention research and dissemination. Let's get this show on the road!

Hello, welcome to the forum, and hope you get in all of your schools!

On 2/5/2019 at 11:28 AM, AlexandraF said:

Did u hear anything from Nyu?

Yes, I heard back from NYU regarding the interview time slots matching. 

However, I am not sure when will they make the final decision (It seems there will be around 1 month between the interview and final decision)

I don't know if anyone else applied to University of Denver (DU) but the Associate Dean for Doctoral Education emailed me Friday letting me know that the PhD Committee is meeting Feb. 20th to make final decisions and that we should hear back shortly after. Fingers crossed! 

On 2/9/2019 at 10:35 PM, SocialwelfarePHD said:

Hello everyone, 

I am an international student and applied to lot of schools (U of Michigan, U of Wisconsin, Columbia, Boston University, U of Penn, U of Chicago, Boston College, U of Washington, etc.)

This Friday I was requested an interview from Boston Univetsity. They told me they are planning this interview early next week. Is anyone having an interview with BU? Is this only for international studetns?

Hey!

I applied to BU but haven't heard anything yet. I'm not an international applicant- I'm not sure about the interviews. Good luck, hope it goes well!

On 2/9/2019 at 7:35 PM, SocialwelfarePHD said:

Hello everyone, 

I am an international student and I got the interview email on Thursday. They asked me to submit an availability form and said the meeting will be scheduled on today or tomorrow, but I didn't hear back from them after I submitted that form last week. Did you have the interview already?