Fall 2019 Phd Social Work /Welfare

Number4

On 2/12/2019 at 12:09 PM, MCC778 said:

I applied to UMB as well--thanks for that update! I know a few people who graduated from their program and loved it (one of them works at UT Austin with me), so I hope you get in! I got great vibes from talking with the associate dean for doctoral education and the program coordinator there. :) 

I see an admission result for UMB. Strange. They said by the end of the month. Perhaps they are admitting AS they complete the applications?

8 minutes ago, QueMono said:

I see an admission result for UMB. Strange. They said by the end of the month. Perhaps they are admitting AS they complete the applications?

Possibly (hope so!). I haven't received anything yet, nor does my portal show any changes. Although, I don't know if it makes much sense to admit people as they complete applications, especially if they only have a certain number of spots (they tend to have more available spots than many other schools). Fingers crossed we both hear some good news soon--I know I could use it!

I know this question has been answered (I just can't seem to find it right now), when you are accepted into a joint msw/phd program, is that just the program title? Meaning... I have my MSW but was accepted into the "joint msw/phd program". I am assuming I will not be repeating my MSW again but I wanted clarification. 

1 minute ago, Bso415 said:

I know this question has been answered (I just can't seem to find it right now), when you are accepted into a joint msw/phd program, is that just the program title? Meaning... I have my MSW but was accepted into the "joint msw/phd program". I am assuming I will not be repeating my MSW again but I wanted clarification. 

I'm sure it's not just a title; you actually will get both your MSW and PhD in a joint program. So, if you already have a MSW, you wouldn't be applying to such a program.

19 minutes ago, Noegenesis said:

I'm sure it's not just a title; you actually will get both your MSW and PhD in a joint program. So, if you already have a MSW, you wouldn't be applying to such a program.

They have both the joint MSW/PhD and the PhD. Hmm. I'll have to email back to clarify. The irony is I was ABD for a DSW back in 2017. Switched my path... so not only do I have a MSW, but I was told I could petition to have some of my doctoral credits transfer. Which is why I am EXTRA confused by the acceptance letter.

1 hour ago, Bso415 said:

They have both the joint MSW/PhD and the PhD. Hmm. I'll have to email back to clarify. The irony is I was ABD for a DSW back in 2017. Switched my path... so not only do I have a MSW, but I was told I could petition to have some of my doctoral credits transfer. Which is why I am EXTRA confused by the acceptance letter.

Sounds like a good idea. Hope you won't have to do your MSW all over again...

3 hours ago, TK1ninenine4 said:

Would be interested in what you have heard about this as well?

I have worked with the new UChicago SSA dean and she is absolutely wonderful as a collaborator. I have no idea about her skills as a dean, but I do know there was some controversy because she does not have her PhD in Social Work.

Also @wonderingcosmo glad to hear you got into a good school (Columbia) and are turning down UChicago because I am still waiting to hear about my application!!

9 hours ago, ChiNative said:

I have worked with the new UChicago SSA dean and she is absolutely wonderful as a collaborator. I have no idea about her skills as a dean, but I do know there was some controversy because she does not have her PhD in Social Work.

Also @wonderingcosmo glad to hear you got into a good school (Columbia) and are turning down UChicago because I am still waiting to hear about my application!!

The University of Pittsburgh had a new dean came last August, who does not have her PhD in social work and alumni and fellow faculty also have controversy, however, it turns out that she is an awesome dean and the school is getting better and better now. 

11 hours ago, Noegenesis said:

Sounds like a good idea. Hope you won't have to do your MSW all over again...

It was an error in his email initial email, but the formal acceptance letter has the correct program listed. My stomach was in knots. I obviously didn't apply to a joint msw program... but then I was looking at my application proof last night and looking through my emails wondering if I made a mistake. Rough night... now I'm going to try and enjoy this. 

I also applied in September / October and this has been the longest wait ever ! I had an interview for a counseling program recently but have not heard anything at all from any social work programs . Why are they taking soooooo loooonnnggg

43 minutes ago, cookiemonster_ said:

Anyone waiting on/ aware of updates on U of Michigan, Berkeley and Pittsburgh? 

Waiting game is so draining...

Still waiting on U of M as well. When I emailed the admission office all they told me is that we would all hear by March 1st. Takes forever with U of M cause you gotta basically get past two admission committees.  

6 hours ago, Bso415 said:

It was an error in his email initial email, but the formal acceptance letter has the correct program listed. My stomach was in knots. I obviously didn't apply to a joint msw program... but then I was looking at my application proof last night and looking through my emails wondering if I made a mistake. Rough night... now I'm going to try and enjoy this.  

Bummer... I wonder if there's a way to fix this. You would obviously save the school some money if you didn't go through the MSW courses again, right? ?

3 hours ago, Number4 said:

I also applied in September / October and this has been the longest wait ever ! I had an interview for a counseling program recently but have not heard anything at all from any social work programs . Why are they taking soooooo loooonnnggg

It definitely varies by program! I've had one acceptance, one rejection, and I'm still waiting to hear from three schools...

40 minutes ago, Noegenesis said:

Bummer... I wonder if there's a way to fix this. You would obviously save the school some money if you didn't go through the MSW courses again, right? ?

Sorry, I didn't proof read or clarify :) my fault! What I meant was... he emailed back apologizing for writing "joint msw/phd". That was a typo. I was accepted to just* the PhD program- no msw. Then he attached the formal acceptance letter where everything is accurate. No msw classes... and if I'm lucky, I will be able to petition out of a few PhD courses because of my DSW course work. Boom. 

3 hours ago, TK1ninenine4 said:

Still waiting on U of M as well. When I emailed the admission office all they told me is that we would all hear by March 1st. Takes forever with U of M cause you gotta basically get past two admission committees.  

I am losing my mind waiting on Michigan! Historically acceptances have been released on the 15th for the most part, so I had really gotten my hopes up for the waiting game to end today.

44 minutes ago, anthroetc said:

I am losing my mind waiting on Michigan! Historically acceptances have been released on the 15th for the most part, so I had really gotten my hopes up for the waiting game to end today.

Oh jeez, I'm glad I never heard that or I would have had a terribly anxious day today (more then I was already having at least). Hopefully we will all know by next week. It has been brutal!

15 hours ago, Bso415 said:

Sorry, I didn't proof read or clarify :) my fault! What I meant was... he emailed back apologizing for writing "joint msw/phd". That was a typo. I was accepted to just* the PhD program- no msw. Then he attached the formal acceptance letter where everything is accurate. No msw classes... and if I'm lucky, I will be able to petition out of a few PhD courses because of my DSW course work. Boom.  

All's well that ends well!