Jump to content
Number4

Fall 2019 Phd Social Work /Welfare

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Gradlife718 said:

Thanks! I got traditional PhD funding (GA, tuition waiver, health insurance, ect.). 

sweet! 

did you accept? 

 

what is the deadline to accept? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

looks like Rutgers accepted folks last week and the week before for social work PhD—anyone know if they are still putting out offers

 

how does waitlisting work? Do they tell you if you are on one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Number4 said:

What is you all’s opinions on sending a thank you letter after an interview ? 

I always send a follow-up thank you email after an interview. Usually something along the lines of:

"Dear X,
 
I appreciated the opportunity I had to interview with you last week. I thoroughly enjoyed discussing the emphasis on the collaborative learning and teaching environment [program name] has cultivated, as well as the program's commitment to social justice informed research. 

Thank you again for your time and consideration. I look forward to the next step in the application process. 

Best,"

Short, sweet, and to the point. Anecdotally, I've always received a warm response back. 

Edited by MCC778

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys Anyone else get accepted to UChicago and will be attending amditted day next week March 7-8?? I have a few other offers plan on making a decision in 2 weeks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 2:16 PM, wonderingcosmo said:

I was accepted to UChicago & Columbia but I'm declining UChicago's offer because my advisor and I heard there may be new problems with the new Dean & accreditation process!

When I took a visit to UChicago in October i met with several faculty memebers allnwere excited about the new Dean. As. Graduate of Columbia there is a huge disconnect between the Dean (probably won’t be there when you arrive and the students) Columbia does have many supportive faculty memebers i must say who will make the experience great

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2019 at 4:36 PM, MCC778 said:

I always send a follow-up thank you email after an interview. Usually something along the lines of:

"Dear X,
 
I appreciated the opportunity I had to interview with you last week. I thoroughly enjoyed discussing the emphasis on the collaborative learning and teaching environment [program name] has cultivated, as well as the program's commitment to social justice informed research. 

Thank you again for your time and consideration. I look forward to the next step in the application process. 

Best,"

 Short, sweet, and to the point. Anecdotally, I've always received a warm response back. 

Writing this thank you note was almost as nerve-racking as the interview itself lol. But thank you ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 9:41 PM, QueMono said:

Looks like I'm fried. Zero out of three. *Bows out*

I talked to someone at Maryland today and they said that more notifications will be sent out in 7-10 days. There is still hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Gradlife718 said:

I talked to someone at Maryland today and they said that more notifications will be sent out in 7-10 days. There is still hope!

No way!? Damn. I have accepted defeat. Nothing like getting a puppy after you've finished opening all your shitty Christmas presents (socks and sweaters) though, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Results page shows an acceptance via website from Penn. Radio silence on my end and my application page looks the same.

Any one in the know care to share any details or intel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, QueMono said:

No way!? Damn. I have accepted defeat. Nothing like getting a puppy after you've finished opening all your shitty Christmas presents (socks and sweaters) though, right?

I got mine early because I told them I had multiple offers; they told me they still had a bit to go through so no fret, you may hear good news!

Also, I will probably decline UMB (I promise not to wait too long, just waiting on counter offers for more funding from another school) so hopefully that opens an additional spot too.

Edited by MCC778

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MCC778 said:

I got mine early because I told them I had multiple offers; they told me they still had a bit to go through so no fret, you may hear good news!

Also, I will probably decline UMB (I promise not to wait too long, just waiting on counter offers for more funding from another school) so hopefully that opens an additional spot too.

Touche' my friend. Touche'. Here's to a successful last inning comeback for me. Congratulations to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, briefinterviews said:

Results page shows an acceptance via website from Penn. Radio silence on my end and my application page looks the same.

Any one in the know care to share any details or intel?

I heard back from them two weeks ago, received an email to check the portal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, a.s. said:

I heard back from them two weeks ago, received an email to check the portal. 

Hi! I just heard back from U of Penn and was waitlisted. Were you accepted to U of Penn two weeks ago? Did you make your final decisions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, a.s. said:

I heard back from them two weeks ago, received an email to check the portal. 

Congratulations! Thanks so much for the information.

I am presuming a denial on my end, though I am not surprised. There was really only one faculty member whose research interests aligned with my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, briefinterviews said:

Congratulations! Thanks so much for the information.

I am presuming a denial on my end, though I am not surprised. There was really only one faculty member whose research interests aligned with my own.

I was denied actually. The letter stated it was due to no faculty member with available space for my research interests. I'm unsure if that's a generic part of the letter but with very specific interests I wouldn't be surprised if that had a significant impact on the denial.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a.s. said:

I was denied actually. The letter stated it was due to no faculty member with available space for my research interests. I'm unsure if that's a generic part of the letter but with very specific interests I wouldn't be surprised if that had a significant impact on the denial.

My bad for presuming; I am very sorry to hear about the denial and hope you are hearing better news elsewhere this season!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denied at Penn. Received email to check the website this morning. Like previous poster, my decision letter cited faculty fit and availability. Not surprised -- onward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 10:25 PM, QueMono said:

Touche' my friend. Touche'. Here's to a successful last inning comeback for me. Congratulations to you.

Looks like decisions are out for Maryland. Did you get good news? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gradlife718 said:

Looks like decisions are out for Maryland. Did you get good news? 

Rejection. I'm 0 for 3 babies!!! Have fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.