2019 App Cycle

1 hour ago, MMan16 said:

Thought I'd start this now since the time is approaching...anyone planning on applying to PhD programs in Criminology/Criminal Justice?

Yes! Applying to George Mason, Maryland, American and SUNY-ALBANY! 

Edit: and possibly Northeastern

Edited by Justiscj726

1 hour ago, MMan16 said:

yeah definitely! I haven't done anything for my applications yet, gotta start soon

All I have done is talk to some professors and the graduate coordinator at Mason, American and UMD. Mason and American have both been awesome so far, UMD said to get back to them closer to September which is understandable as well.

39 minutes ago, Justiscj726 said:

All I have done is talk to some professors and the graduate coordinator at Mason, American and UMD. Mason and American have both been awesome so far, UMD said to get back to them closer to September which is understandable as well.

Did you talk to professors/grad coordinators to just put your name out there or did you specifically ask if the professors were looking for students? That's something I've gotten advice on - and different answers.

40 minutes ago, MMan16 said:

Did you talk to professors/grad coordinators to just put your name out there or did you specifically ask if the professors were looking for students? That's something I've gotten advice on - and different answers.

At Mason I spoke to professors to ask them specific research related questions and about advisors taking on students, other colleges I’ve just kind of been in contact with an assistant dean or a coordinator to get my name out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys! I'm graduating in the spring with my master's in criminal justice and hoping to start next fall. I'm applying to at least three programs- GA State, MSU, and UMD. I'm thinking about Cincinnati or Northeastern too. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is anyone attending ASC in Atlanta this year? I'm doing a poster presentation of my in-progress thesis, and hoping to meet professors at the programs I'm looking at. I thought perhaps other prospective PhD applicants might also be there.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm applying! To Suffolk and Northeastern for their dual-degrees with JDs. Suffolk is a JD/MS in Crime and Justice Studies and Northeastern is a JD/PhD in Criminology and Justice Policy. This is all on my way to being a law librarian! 

I graduated undergrad in 2014 with a double-BA in History and English. In May 2019 I will finish my MLIS (Masters of Library and Information Science). In August 2019 I will finish my MA History.

Just signed up to take the GRE (again) and the LSAT. Can't believe I am doing grad school apps again!

What does everyone else want to do with their degree? I know I'm an outsider with my law librarian track!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 7:25 AM, Exhausted said:

I'm applying to ASU, Northeastern, Delaware, Penn State, IUB, ASU, UCI, and WSU ... totally nervous. 

My research interests are violence against women and children, family violence, sex trafficking, and juvenile justice.

I am a current graduate student at IUB. Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about the program or the application process! 

On 11/23/2018 at 8:54 PM, Exhausted said:

Anyone know which schools interview and which ones don't?

You should be able to tell by reviewing the info on the results page and see if there were interviews or not. 

George Mason doesn't do interviews from what I could tell. 

Also, wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I'm applying to George Mason - with a focus on correctional policy. If anyone wants my stats, let me know. 

I'm only applying to two programs this cycle (mason for criminology, and southern miss for counseling psych) because I'm in an interesting boat where my eventual goal isn't concrete and I could get there by one of three ways. 

@ElizabethIsGolden - I graduated with my JD and a master's in CJ last December through a self-created program I was able to work out with my school and one of my friends from law school is currently getting her MS in library sciences, so message me if you have any questions. :) 

54 minutes ago, aaustin said:

You should be able to tell by reviewing the info on the results page and see if there were interviews or not. 

George Mason doesn't do interviews from what I could tell. 

Also, wanted to throw my hat in the ring. I'm applying to George Mason - with a focus on correctional policy. If anyone wants my stats, let me know. 

I'm only applying to two programs this cycle (mason for criminology, and southern miss for counseling psych) because I'm in an interesting boat where my eventual goal isn't concrete and I could get there by one of three ways. 

@ElizabethIsGolden - I graduated with my JD and a master's in CJ last December through a self-created program I was able to work out with my school and one of my friends from law school is currently getting her MS in library sciences, so message me if you have any questions. :) 

I will message you now. Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...