2019 App Cycle

19 hours ago, newyorkmets188 said:

Got into UMass with full funding. 

Hey congrats! I got the email from them last night, and a call this morning too for the campus visit. This was only the second response I got from my applications so I was getting really antsy. 

On 3/8/2019 at 3:00 PM, MillionthMike said:

Hey congrats! I got the email from them last night, and a call this morning too for the campus visit. This was only the second response I got from my applications so I was getting really antsy. 

Yay!!!! Good for you! Is that your choice?

I wanted to make a post to summarize my application results, since I liked reading them from previous years. 

Undergrad GPA: 3.96, GRE: 159V/157Q/5.5W. I had about 3 years of various research experience when applying. I graduated in spring 2018. I did not have any publications and I only presented a senior capstone project at an undergrad research conference. My letter writers presumably wrote some kick ass letters also. 

I applied to 5 schools, all criminology/criminal justice programs: U of Maryland, SUNY Albany, UC Irvine, George Mason University, and John Jay. I received acceptances from the first 4 and am currently wait-listed by John Jay. I have not decided on where I'll be attending! 

I don't really have any special advice. Although, I did wish that I started the apps earlier. I very much procrastinated and submitted some the day after the deadline! 

3 hours ago, EGerbran said:

Has anyone heard back from Toronto yet? Still waiting...

University of Toronto - Criminology PhD? I got my rejection from them early Feb. I'm an American though, and they essentially have no funding for international students so its possible they just reject us pretty quickly.

22 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

University of Toronto - Criminology PhD? I got my rejection from them early Feb. I'm an American though, and they essentially have no funding for international students so its possible they just reject us pretty quickly.

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, Crim PhD. I haven't heard a peep yet from them (emailed them a few days ago and still nothing) and my other schools are getting antsy for a response.

32 minutes ago, EGerbran said:

I'm sorry to hear that. Yes, Crim PhD. I haven't heard a peep yet from them (emailed them a few days ago and still nothing) and my other schools are getting antsy for a response.

I wasn't very impressed with the program's response to my emails. The grad coordinator was impossible to reach, and no one even told me they have no funding for international students until a few days before the application was due. Admittedly, it was partly my fault for not reading the international student page, but what can I say, as an American I just didn't really think of myself as an international student going to Canada ?

I hope you get an answer one way or another soon! I assume you've logged into the portal and it doesn't show a response there?

On 3/16/2019 at 3:37 PM, RipCityBaby said:

I wasn't very impressed with the program's response to my emails. The grad coordinator was impossible to reach, and no one even told me they have no funding for international students until a few days before the application was due. Admittedly, it was partly my fault for not reading the international student page, but what can I say, as an American I just didn't really think of myself as an international student going to Canada ?

I hope you get an answer one way or another soon! I assume you've logged into the portal and it doesn't show a response there?

Hm, perhaps I should call them then. That lack of communication is unfortunate. Thank you for your help! I have logged into the SGS portal and it still says my application is “under review”

5 hours ago, EGerbran said:

Hm, perhaps I should call them then. That lack of communication is unfortunate. Thank you for your help! I have logged into the SGS portal and it still says my application is “under review”

Given you are in Alberta, you hopefully have better luck getting in than I did! Hope they haven't made decisions or you are waitlisted and imminently getting an offer letter. Keep me posted and good luck!

12 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

Given you are in Alberta, you hopefully have better luck getting in than I did! Hope they haven't made decisions or you are waitlisted and imminently getting an offer letter. Keep me posted and good luck!

I hope so too, thank you! I will update with any news! Thanks for all of your help :)

10 hours ago, LisKis said:

Has anyone heard from Old Dominion? They are the last school I am waiting on. I emailed but no response.

I have. Pm me if you have any questions! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...