2019 App Cycle

Hi All! I just received an email from Northeastern saying that they will be reviewing applications into February and March. He said from my application he knew I applied to other programs and to please let him know if I get admitted to another program and want to know where I stand in their applicant pool. I got admitted to George Mason but with no funding as of yet. It may be totally normal, but to me it seems like a strange thing to ask if I got admitted elsewhere? 

What do you think is in my best advantage to do?

8 hours ago, hlyden said:

Hi All! I just received an email from Northeastern saying that they will be reviewing applications into February and March. He said from my application he knew I applied to other programs and to please let him know if I get admitted to another program and want to know where I stand in their applicant pool. I got admitted to George Mason but with no funding as of yet. It may be totally normal, but to me it seems like a strange thing to ask if I got admitted elsewhere? 

What do you think is in my best advantage to do?

From when I got into masters programs I was transparent with the fact I was still evaluating my options and they made slightly better offers with a paid research position on top of it. Some schools when they really want you will spend money for you.

Has anybody heard from Penn State? There's a couple of submissions on the results page but I've not heard anything. I'm starting to become doubtful about my chances...

Did anyone apply to Simon Fraser in BC Canada? We were told a week ago that decisions would be announced at the end of last week...and then nothing. I'm sure they just ended up taking longer than expected but its making me crazy! 

39 minutes ago, RipCityBaby said:

Did anyone apply to Simon Fraser in BC Canada? We were told a week ago that decisions would be announced at the end of last week...and then nothing. I'm sure they just ended up taking longer than expected but its making me crazy! 

My classmate in my masters program applied there and she is saying the same thing. You’re not alone.

9 minutes ago, HighStrangeness said:

My classmate in my masters program applied there and she is saying the same thing. You’re not alone.

Tell your classmate one of my professors, an alumni of Simon Fraser, just flagged me down and said she called and asked them what was up, and they are just behind, anticipating letters go out this week. Good luck to your classmate! This waiting stuff is so stressful!

6 hours ago, Etholder17 said:

Has anybody heard from Penn State? There's a couple of submissions on the results page but I've not heard anything. I'm starting to become doubtful about my chances...

I think they are going to be sending out acceptances/rejections all this week and maybe even further out. I wouldn't give up hope quite yet! I was about to give up hope and then I got accepted into a Sociology program with full funding so you'll just have to keep waiting and see. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere!!

1 hour ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

I think they are going to be sending out acceptances/rejections all this week and maybe even further out. I wouldn't give up hope quite yet! I was about to give up hope and then I got accepted into a Sociology program with full funding so you'll just have to keep waiting and see. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere!!

Congrats!! That's wonderful! 

2 hours ago, beautifuladrenaline said:

Thank you I am very excited! I don't think I'm going to get accepted anywhere else so I will take that acceptance! I really hope you get into a program that you like, I believe you will!

I’m still hoping for the best from Temple. My mentor really would love for me to go there, and I have an in, but I thought I had an in at UCI and it turns out I did not.

I got accepted from PhD program in GMU and ASU with full funding, and I'm waiting for decision of U of Cincinnati.

As my I've interested in policing and crime prevention, GMU is wonderful school for me because of professors such as Drs. Weisburd and Cynthia Lum!! Therefore, I am leaning toward GMU. On the other hand, some professors and mentors advised me to enter ASU or U of Cinicinnati(if I got admission) because of higher reputation, ranking and tradition. How do you think guys? Which factors are more important between the reputation of school and research fit & professors?

13 hours ago, HighStrangeness said:

I’m still hoping for the best from Temple. My mentor really would love for me to go there, and I have an in, but I thought I had an in at UCI and it turns out I did not.

I applied to Temple as well and haven't heard anything back from them yet so we're both on the loop but I don't think I was a good fit for the program so I probably did not get accepted, but I heard they are still going to be sending out notices through the first week of February so don't give up hope yet!

15 hours ago, Police50 said:

I got accepted from PhD program in GMU and ASU with full funding, and I'm waiting for decision of U of Cincinnati.

As my I've interested in policing and crime prevention, GMU is wonderful school for me because of professors such as Drs. Weisburd and Cynthia Lum!! Therefore, I am leaning toward GMU. On the other hand, some professors and mentors advised me to enter ASU or U of Cinicinnati(if I got admission) because of higher reputation, ranking and tradition. How do you think guys? Which factors are more important between the reputation of school and research fit & professors?

Hmm, while I think reputation is certainly important, I would think of the production trade-off. If you know that your research interest aligns with specific faculty (and GMU definitely has great rep!), then I would think you would probably be more productive overall at school where you know you'll be able to do research. That being said, I'm a potential PhD student like you so that take that into consideration xD. Congrats on those admissions, btw! Those are certainly schools to be proud of!

Need advice! I'm visiting a school in late February, but got asked to interview at another one on the day I would fly back home. They offered to do a skype interview, which I will probably end up asking for. However, should I include in the email that the reason I'm asking for a skype interview is that I would be just coming back from another school, or should I just keep it vague and say I'll be out of town?

2 hours ago, MMan16 said:

Need advice! I'm visiting a school in late February, but got asked to interview at another one on the day I would fly back home. They offered to do a skype interview, which I will probably end up asking for. However, should I include in the email that the reason I'm asking for a skype interview is that I would be just coming back from another school, or should I just keep it vague and say I'll be out of town?

Don't tell them anything. Do the Skype interview and have it set up. They are aware that you could have scheduling conflicts. If they ask during the Skype interview you can tell them then. It is also a good way to see how they react when they hear it the first time if they ask via video. 

For everyone who got into GMU - have you received information on the open house yet, (outside of the RSVP link?) 

Have you been communicating with the professor you want to work with, or another professor? 

You can PM me! I'm just confused about what's going on over there. 

1 hour ago, aaustin said:

For everyone who got into GMU - have you received information on the open house yet, (outside of the RSVP link?) 

Have you been communicating with the professor you want to work with, or another professor? 

You can PM me! I'm just confused about what's going on over there. 

I checked,  and I don't think I've received additional information about the Open House, but a professor emailed me today, saying congratulations, and another professor did the same last week. I only RSVP'd today though, so maybe they reached out because I hadn't responded fast enough. I'm in the DC area, so I'll be going. Neither of my POIs have reached out.