2019 Applications Thread

On 2/11/2019 at 6:40 PM, Please100 said:

Hi, congrats to everyone who got acceptance!

Did anyone apply to UT Austin advertising? 

Hey I just wanted you to know, I got an email today requesting an interview for Friday. Have you heard anything from them?

I have a Temple funding update! I received the official offer by email this afternoon. It's a Presidential Fellowship with four years of funding, two with service requirements and two without, and a $32k stipend. I'm so happy and grateful! Wishing everyone great offers at their top choices!

On 2/17/2019 at 11:49 PM, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Got an email from a UT-Austin POI tonight saying that they had been told that I had received an acceptance email (I hadn't...) and they wanted to extend their congratulations! I emailed back almost instantaneously, to say thank you and I had yet to hear anything, but it seems like it's legit - I got into UT-Austin RTF/Media Studies! Absolutely over the moon. Sounds like they've either started notifying people, or will be emailing/calling accepts soon.

Congratulations!!!! :) 

4 hours ago, transrelativity said:

I have a Temple funding update! I received the official offer by email this afternoon. It's a Presidential Fellowship with four years of funding, two with service requirements and two without, and a $32k stipend. I'm so happy and grateful! Wishing everyone great offers at their top choices!

That is fantastic! Congratulations!! 

@transrelativity That is awesome news! Thank you for sharing. I think I am going to reach out to my adviser today as well but a little unsure how to navigate a "thank you for putting in a good word, not sure on your program yet" email!

So excited for you though! I will definitely keep an eye on the snail mail :D

24 minutes ago, bumblegumbees said:

Has anyone heard from the IU Media School PhD program? Additionally, does anyone know if they typically do interviews for the PhD program?

I contacted them because I hadn't heard from them either. They said admissions decisions come at the end of February! On the additional-being that they let people know so late in the game, it seems like they wouldn't do interviews, but idk..

Thanks so much, @DannieGirl and @jmc117!

I'm still figuring out details with Temple (how much can I work and when, what's the travel budget, etc. - I learned that fees aren't covered by the scholarship, unfortunately) but I'm strongly leaning towards accepting, since they are my top choice school. I asked if there is some kind of prospective students day, and there doesn't seem to be, but my adviser has agreed to meet with me and arrange for me to sit in on some classes and meet current students.

Dear Thread, please help!

Which of these schools, based on what you've seen/heard, has the best reputation for landing tenure track jobs at R-1's (in a Mass Comm Department) post-graduation?

1. U WISCONSIN MADISON 

2. UNC CHAPEL HILL 

3. U INDIANA BLOOMINGTON 

(Please assume that they are all offering a competitive financial packages, have faculty doing research I am passionate about, and that I will work my ass off.)  

Thank you in advance to anyone who can chime in. ❤️ -Dannie

Edited by DannieGirl

On 2/19/2019 at 3:29 PM, transrelativity said:

Thanks so much, @DannieGirl and @jmc117!

I'm still figuring out details with Temple (how much can I work and when, what's the travel budget, etc. - I learned that fees aren't covered by the scholarship, unfortunately) but I'm strongly leaning towards accepting, since they are my top choice school. I asked if there is some kind of prospective students day, and there doesn't seem to be, but my adviser has agreed to meet with me and arrange for me to sit in on some classes and meet current students.

Well, you have until April without any risk of losing your (amazing-32k-holy crap) offer if you wanna wait. Temple sounds awesome, but the visit is great idea-I went on two visits so far and both times everything was different than I imagined it (in a good way)...

Edited by DannieGirl

2 hours ago, DannieGirl said:

Dear Thread, please help!

Which of these schools, based on what you've seen/heard, has the best reputation for landing tenure track jobs at R-1's (in a Mass Comm Department) post-graduation?

1. U WISCONSIN MADISON 

2. UNC CHAPEL HILL 

3. U INDIANA BLOOMINGTON 

(Please assume that they are all offering a competitive financial packages, have faculty doing research I am passionate about, and that I will work my ass off.)  

Thank you in advance to anyone who can chime in. ❤️ -Dannie

I will vote for UW-Madison - especially if you are working on political comm

16 hours ago, DannieGirl said:

Well, you have until April without any risk of losing your (amazing-32k-holy crap) offer if you wanna wait. Temple sounds awesome, but the visit is great idea-I went on two visits so far and both times everything was different than I imagined it (in a good way)...

I'm definitely excited to visit Temple! I have a date set up to meet with my adviser, sit in on two classes, take a tour, and meet with the graduate director regarding work and funding. 

At this point the question I'm wrestling with is: if I visit Temple and like everything I see, should I still go to the Rutgers prospective students day on March 29, or should I matriculate right away at Temple and send Rutgers my regrets? On one hand, I feel like visiting Rutgers is part of due diligence; I should at least see both of my options before settling on one. On the other hand, Temple is a stronger offer, a better fit for my research, and more convenient to my home. As long as they'll let me keep teaching on the side in Year 1 (which is important because my wife is pregnant and won't be able to work during the first academic year), I can't see a reason why I would choose Rutgers at this point -- someone would have to make a very compelling case at prospectives' day. It seems unethical to delay my decision when someone else might be able to get the Rutgers fellowship if I decline.

What do you all think? If I like what I see at Temple, should I decide right away, or should I hold off until I see Rutgers too?

2 hours ago, transrelativity said:

I'm definitely excited to visit Temple! I have a date set up to meet with my adviser, sit in on two classes, take a tour, and meet with the graduate director regarding work and funding. 

At this point the question I'm wrestling with is: if I visit Temple and like everything I see, should I still go to the Rutgers prospective students day on March 29, or should I matriculate right away at Temple and send Rutgers my regrets? On one hand, I feel like visiting Rutgers is part of due diligence; I should at least see both of my options before settling on one. On the other hand, Temple is a stronger offer, a better fit for my research, and more convenient to my home. As long as they'll let me keep teaching on the side in Year 1 (which is important because my wife is pregnant and won't be able to work during the first academic year), I can't see a reason why I would choose Rutgers at this point -- someone would have to make a very compelling case at prospectives' day. It seems unethical to delay my decision when someone else might be able to get the Rutgers fellowship if I decline.

What do you all think? If I like what I see at Temple, should I decide right away, or should I hold off until I see Rutgers too?

I think if you’re really sure, then you can skip going, but I’m personally the type that wants to see everything just to be sure. Especially since I didn’t interview at either of the schools I’m having prospective weekends at. One offer is way better, but having visited a school I thought I would love and getting a not so great vibe from my potential POI, I just want to experience the school and see how I really feel about each, before I decide. If I were you, I would make sure that you can continue to teach before saying no to Rutgers. A lot of schools have very specific plans for first years and that might not work with your schedule.

Also, congrats on the baby!

Edited by Psyhopeful
Congratulations

On 2/19/2019 at 8:55 AM, kaithewriter said:

Did anyone in here apply to NYU MCC and get an interview? I saw someone posted about it on the results page, but I haven't heard a word from NYU myself...not that I'm expecting to get in, but I'm curious now. 

Hey, could you send the link to this results page? I'm waiting to hear from them too, and this set me off on a frenzy!

17 hours ago, transrelativity said:

I would definitely still go to both. I agree with @Psyhopeful - I also like to see all of my options before I make any decisions, and if getting to Rutgers is not a burden for you (I'm originally from your area, so I know how much it suckssss to drive through New Jersey sometimes! ;)), then you should certainly see what they have to offer! For me, this is just too big of a decision to make without fully exploring my options.

Best of luck with your decision! (And congratulations on the baby!) 

2 hours ago, snehamenon said:

Hey, could you send the link to this results page? I'm waiting to hear from them too, and this set me off on a frenzy!

Depending on how you’re looking at this site, on the top of the page on a computer, click on “results”. If you’re on a phone or tablet, look to the three little lines for the menu drop down on the right, click that, and then click “results”.

7 hours ago, snehamenon said:

On 2/19/2019 at 11:31 AM, sanchxuan said:

I applied for MCC and haven't heard anything......

On 2/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, kaithewriter said:

Did anyone in here apply to NYU MCC and get an interview? I saw someone posted about it on the results page, but I haven't heard a word from NYU myself...not that I'm expecting to get in, but I'm curious now. 

Hey guys!

Just came across this thread and thought I would post an update regarding NYU Steinhardt MCC PhD. I got an interview. I was told that 12 people are on the shortlist and 6 will be selected. All the interviewees have been notified. Acceptances will be sent out in the next week or so and rejects, waitlist etc soon after. I am updating here because I would really want to know if I hadn't heard yet - I'm living in a hotbox of uncertainty regarding other schools I've applied to myself. If this comes as bad news I am so very sorry - and good luck with all the other applications!