2019 Applications Thread

8 minutes ago, halcyonday said:

Ugh, I really hope that doesn't mean they're gonna wait another whole week to release decisions..... what program did you apply in?

I applied to RPC for the MA/PhD. I submitted a cluster statement as well, if that adds anything. Also, for what it's worth, i saw on the 2018 comm forum on gradcafe that some were accepted/denied on March 21/22. I don't know how to feel about my chances without an interview, but @transrelativity 's experience (not interviewing at a school but getting accepted) gives me hope!

On 3/6/2019 at 10:33 PM, CommQueen said:

Anyone who was admitted to UC Davis - have you heard back about funding?

I reached out to to the graduate coordinator (cc'ed the faculty graduate advisor) and have had no response!

I got an e-mail that my application status was updated, went to go look, and it was just a formal acceptance letter with no mention of funding.

Does this mean they haven't sent out funding decisions or that I'm just not being offered any?

I got the same e-mail, I am quite nervous about the funding package but I hope it is out soon. I am currently sitting on another offer and it is not fair to the waitlisted candidates of that University eother.

2 hours ago, AndrewJake said:

I'm trying to get a handle on interviews.

If you spend any time on GC you get the impression every program does interviews, but I've had department heads and program directors (well one anyway) tell me that they only talk to people after they have more or less decided they want them.

I did not interview or have any contact with anyone at Michigan before I was admitted with a fellowship. I didn’t interview at Michigan State before acceptance and I don’t believe they do them, although I’m undergrad there so my situation is different. From what I understand Amherst doesn’t interview and I don’t think Penn does either. At UCSB interviews seem to be sort of a formality. If you’re invited to their weekend I think they have pretty much made up their mind and just want to make sure you fit. I think in general though interviews only happen if a school is strongly considering you. Also, some schools that don’t interview still do English proficiency chats with international students sometimes. 

Edited by Psyhopeful

19 hours ago, ceruleanpeach said:

@MadsGrad Have you gotten any news from Florida State? Hope everything is going your way! 

Yes! I got accepted a few weeks ago! Just waiting to hear about financial aid now.  What about you? Hope you've had some good news too!

Anyone applied for NYU MCC and has not received any notifications (interview, rejection, acceptance) like me?

I emailed them on Wednesday but no response up to now and it's approaching mid-March......I personally don't expect any good news but still want to know the result whatever it is.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:47 AM, IndianGirl2019 said:

I got the same e-mail, I am quite nervous about the funding package but I hope it is out soon. I am currently sitting on another offer and it is not fair to the waitlisted candidates of that University eother.

Me too! Very stressful ?

Hi! Curious if anyone applied to Boston University Communications and has any updates. Nothing in the results page. Can’t believe I’m stilling waiting ... Also if anyone  is waiting for funding info on Temple I have news (not happy sadly).

Welp, shut out at Northwestern so that's a wrap on application results for me.

I'm deciding between University of Illinois (ICR PhD) and UCSD (dual Comm/Science Studies PhD). Coming from another field I've been having trouble figuring out the reputations of different programs, so I'd be interested to hear your opinions here. Illinois seems to place their students better, but I don't know much beyond that. My work is broadly media/cultural studies (and my MA is culture studies) but I do science texts, if that makes a difference.

On 3/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, halcyonday said:

Welp, shut out at Northwestern so that's a wrap on application results for me.

I'm deciding between University of Illinois (ICR PhD) and UCSD (dual Comm/Science Studies PhD). Coming from another field I've been having trouble figuring out the reputations of different programs, so I'd be interested to hear your opinions here. Illinois seems to place their students better, but I don't know much beyond that. My work is broadly media/cultural studies (and my MA is culture studies) but I do science texts, if that makes a difference.

Have you gone out to Illinois yet? I have a friend who also got accepted to ICR and he got very mixed reviews from students there when he visited. FWIW he's coming from a more Media Studies than Mass Comm perspective

1 hour ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

Have you gone out to Illinois yet? I have a friend who also got accepted to ICR and he got very mixed reviews from students there when he visited. FWIW he's coming from a more Media Studies than Mass Comm perspective

I didn't visit (I'm from that area originally, so hard to justify time off), but I had some very nice Skype/phone interviews with faculty. Would you mind sharing some of your friend's concerns? I'd appreciate hearing them (or by personal message if they're too sensitive for the open forum!) 

Edited by halcyonday

I got my official offer from UCSB with a surprise competitive fellowship and had my last two prospective weekend visits and now it’s decision time! I did not expect to be in this position, or for the decision process to be so hard. I think it’s probably going to come down to finances for me, which is a shame, because I really liked everything about the programs I’m choosing between. 

Would any of you consider less financial stability (and therefore stress) to go somewhere where a POI really wants you and you think it’d be a good experience if your other option was much better financially and you also felt like it would be a good fit?

On 3/19/2019 at 4:44 PM, halcyonday said:

I didn't visit (I'm from that area originally, so hard to justify time off), but I had some very nice Skype/phone interviews with faculty. Would you mind sharing some of your friend's concerns? I'd appreciate hearing them (or by personal message if they're too sensitive for the open forum!) 

Sure! I'll send you a DM. 

On 3/20/2019 at 5:35 PM, Psyhopeful said:

I got my official offer from UCSB with a surprise competitive fellowship and had my last two prospective weekend visits and now it’s decision time! I did not expect to be in this position, or for the decision process to be so hard. I think it’s probably going to come down to finances for me, which is a shame, because I really liked everything about the programs I’m choosing between. 

Would any of you consider less financial stability (and therefore stress) to go somewhere where a POI really wants you and you think it’d be a good experience if your other option was much better financially and you also felt like it would be a good fit?

Yeah, I'm considering it right now--UCSD offered nearly double what Illinois did (also thanks to a competitive fellowship surprise) and either would be a good fit, but I'm seriously considering Illinois because their institutional resources/position could really mean a lot for my project in a way UCSD doesn't. I also have strong ties to that area, though, and the personal/familial support I feel like would counterbalance (some of) the financial issues at play. If you think your stress would be noticeably more/quality of life noticeably less with the stipend difference, don't feel ashamed in making a choice based on finances if that's what's right for you--when you think about the burnout rate in academia, prioritizing those concerns isn't selfish or petty or whatever, it's thoughtful and practical. 

• 2 weeks later...

Off the waitlist and was offered a spot at Cornell! Still in shock, had to make sure it wasn't an April Fools days joke! But its true! 

Also just kinda wondering if anyone has heard from Maryland, thats the only program I have still yet to hear from? Thanks y'all!

@transrelativity Maybe I missed a post in this long line of posts but did you sway one way or the other in terms of schools? :) 

I am attending Temple-sent the papers in Monday!

Anyone else attending Temple in the fall?

22 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

So we're getting down to the wire. Where is everyone going? I'm still trying to decide, but hoping to finalize my choice this weekend.

I've accepted a position in IU's Media Studies Ph.D. program. The plan is to develop skills in games user research and study gender, racial diversity, and prosocial behavior in video games. Hopefully I'll also be able to side-dabble in using video games as a therapeutic tool to treat PTSD or similar anxiety disorders.

If anyone else is going to IU, please feel free to reach out to me. I did my M.A. in psych here and so I can help out with information on finding housing etc.

Edited by bumblegumbees

On 4/3/2019 at 2:40 PM, Psyhopeful said:

So we're getting down to the wire. Where is everyone going? I'm still trying to decide, but hoping to finalize my choice this weekend.

Leaning UCSD, but going to approximately 1000 more meetings to solicit more unhelpful opinions. I love the program, but I'm struggling with how far away it is... so if anyone has any thoughts on moving 30 hours from family and support I'd be interested to hear it. 

On 4/3/2019 at 11:40 AM, Psyhopeful said:

I accepted UW Madison's Rhetoric, Politics, & Culture PhD. It's a huge leap of faith, what with leaving California and all, but I think it's going to be worth it! The program looks perfect and the people are awesome so...here goes nothin'. :)

5 hours ago, kaithewriter said:

I accepted UW Madison's Rhetoric, Politics, & Culture PhD. It's a huge leap of faith, what with leaving California and all, but I think it's going to be worth it! The program looks perfect and the people are awesome so...here goes nothin'. :)

Lol I'm having exactly the opposite problem leaving the Midwest for California... good luck to the both of us :)

edit: or, perhaps, exactly the same :) 

Edited by halcyonday