2019 Applications Thread

I have noticed there are TONS of "hard science" updates in the results page. Are Social Sciences (and our discipline) generally later than others? Any vets noticed this? Is our discipline just tiny? lol

Humanities programs take longer to send out admissions decisions because they have to review long writing samples, and the nature of the decision is more complicated in general I think. Hard sciences have the advantage of relatively straightforward research proposals, easier to quantify applicants.

These are my speculations of course.

@Dares That actually makes a lot of sense. It also seems like the Ivy Leagues are rolling out decisions rather quickly. Have yet to see a decision from any of my schools, really. In any discipline

Is anyone applying straight out of undergrad? Especially to Amherst? I contacted my POI there because it wasn’t clear on the website if you needed a master’s or not and they said that just recently they started accepting people with only a bachelor’s. They expressed interest in working with me but aren’t on the admissions committee and now I’m starting to have doubts.

So many of the comm programs I was interested in require a master’s which is so different from how it is in psychology!

Anyone thinking of going to Concordia's (Montreal, Canada) open house on Feb 16? Unsure whether this is a thing I should prioritize-seems like a chance to potentially meet and greet with people and faculty?

Anyone waiting for Kentucky, Unv. of Tennesee, Unv. of Florida, Florida State, or Alabama? 

Bummed how slow the boards are this time around, ha! ?

I told myself I would not fall into the anxious waiting and checking emails/boards 20 times a day this early in the cycle, but here we are! 

Anyone want to claim that Temple Acceptance snail mail letter? I also applied at Temple so that post made me shoot straight out of bed in excitement this morning to check my mail.

5 hours ago, jmc117 said:

Anyone want to claim that Temple Acceptance snail mail letter? I also applied at Temple so that post made me shoot straight out of bed in excitement this morning to check my mail.

That was me. I emailed my point of contact in the department to thank her for meeting with me over the summer, and she mentioned that mine was the first decision they had sent out, so it sounds like it's still in process. Good luck!!

Edited by transrelativity

Thanks, @Mirotu!! I wasn't expecting a decision to come so soon, so I was shocked to get it. At first I thought it was a rejection because the envelope was so thin. I had to read the letter about three times before I could process it.

Edited by transrelativity

20 hours ago, transrelativity said:

That was me. I emailed my point of contact in the department to thank her for meeting with me over the summer, and she mentioned that mine was the first decision they had sent out, so it sounds like it's still in process. Good luck!!

Excellent! So happy for you! I will patiently wait and see to my fate regarding Temple ? 

I'm sending positive energy your way, @jmc117! Where else did you apply? I've got an interview with Drexel on Feb 1, and still waiting for any contact from Rutgers and UPenn.

I was also preparing an application for University of Delaware, but they were more of a backup plan, and now I'm wondering if I should save the $70 application fee. What do you all think? Is it worth $70 to possibly get another offer that I could use as leverage when negotiating funding, or should I save the money (and some of my time) and not submit the application?

43 minutes ago, transrelativity said:

I'm sending positive energy your way, @jmc117! Where else did you apply? I've got an interview with Drexel on Feb 1, and still waiting for any contact from Rutgers and UPenn.

I was also preparing an application for University of Delaware, but they were more of a backup plan, and now I'm wondering if I should save the $70 application fee. What do you all think? Is it worth $70 to possibly get another offer that I could use as leverage when negotiating funding, or should I save the money (and some of my time) and not submit the application?

Thank you very much! I applied to Concordia, York, Wilfred Laurier, U of Michigan, and Western. Mostly Canadian schools, Temple is my only other American one. Good luck with the interview!

Hmm if you already received an acceptance from (presumably) a school you'd like to go to, maybe save the money unless you like the program and want it to be a potential option. Those are just my thoughts-ultimately your decision! Personally I am worn out from 7 applications...I couldn't make myself write another one if you paid me. ?

Out of curiosity, what are your research interests/what research area are you looking at pursuing?

10 minutes ago, jmc117 said:

Thank you very much! I applied to Concordia, York, Wilfred Laurier, U of Michigan, and Western. Mostly Canadian schools, Temple is my only other American one. Good luck with the interview!

Hmm if you already received an acceptance from (presumably) a school you'd like to go to, maybe save the money unless you like the program and want it to be a potential option. Those are just my thoughts-ultimately your decision! Personally I am worn out from 7 applications...I couldn't make myself write another one if you paid me. ?

Out of curiosity, what are your research interests/what research area are you looking at pursuing?

Temple is really my top choice because there's a scholar there whose work aligns so well with my own, and they also have infrastructure abroad that could potentially support my research. I'm planning to study gender codes in media, especially transnational transmission, with a focus on Japanese constructions of masculinity. Temple Tokyo could be a great asset when I'm planning my field study!

I feel worn out as well. I was working on the UD essays (they asked for two) last weekend, and it was a real struggle -- and that's not counting their required video essay, which I haven't started. I feel a small sense of responsibility to finish the application because (a) my recommenders already sent their letters and (b) the head of the UD grad department emailed and encouraged me to finish by the deadline. However, there aren't any faculty members at UD who work on both gender and Japan, and my contact at Temple is kinda my dream adviser. I'm starting to feel like struggling through the video essay (while also preparing for the Drexel interview) is not a good use of my time.

What are your research interests? I'd love to hear about your potential project.

@Please100 I don't know anything about UC Davis, I'm afraid.

I've been asking myself the same question about UPenn, though. I searched the results in past years and didn't see any interview requests in Communication. I haven't seen any this year, either, but I've seen plenty of requests in other departments. Has anyone ever heard of them asking for interviews?

11 minutes ago, transrelativity said:

I've been asking myself the same question about UPenn, though. I searched the results in past years and didn't see any interview requests in Communication. I haven't seen any this year, either, but I've seen plenty of requests in other departments. Has anyone ever heard of them asking for interviews?

It has an interview record before, actually. Around Jan 18 I remember. I'm worried about it too.

19 minutes ago, transrelativity said:

I did some searching the forums about this awhile ago, and I’m pretty sure that what previous applicants were saying is that Penn doesn’t interview.

24 minutes ago, andyischaos said:

It has an interview record before, actually. Around Jan 18 I remember. I'm worried about it too.

Oh wow, I must have missed that. You don't happen to have a link, do you?

When I searched before, it looked like there had been no interviews and then a bunch of decisions sent out on Feb 14, 2018. I could easily have missed something, though.