2019 Applications Thread

Can anyone else claim the UCI Visual Studies interview email? 

When I interviewed, the person I spoke with said they'd be meeting to make their final decisions last Friday, and were hoping to send out letters by the end of the month. Well, since I'm anxious and it's the end of the month....tell me something! 

21 hours ago, karenz said:

Hi all! I've been lurking for a while, and wanted to share my status a bit with you all.

I got a Skype interview with UC Davis this week, and saw three other people also received the same request. Seems like they are all international students but with their highest degree in the U.S. (so am I). I think the interview went well, but I'm really not sure if I'll be able to make the cut at this point. Also just got rejected by UCSB today... so this really made me jittery about my UCD result. 

Also I wonder anyone has insights about the Emerging Media Studies program at Boston U? I wasn't able to find much info about the program here. Saw one got interviewed early Feb last year, and one got accepted last year around mid Feb. Does anyone know if interview is part of the app process of this program? I heard it's a highly selective one... they only admitted 2-3 students each year. 

Hope we all receive desired offers this year!

I'm in an MFA program that's in the same BU college as EMS, and yes, they always seem to have very small cohorts. I know that doesn't answer your questions, but I've heard them say great things! Good luck! 

9 hours ago, halcyonday said:

First post--guess this says something about nerves. I had an interview with UW-Madison in Comm/Rhetoric in the middle of the month that I thought went well. The faculty I interviewed with said decisions would be made "in a few days," but I haven't heard anything since and it's been almost two weeks. Anyone else heard anything here? It sounds like different tracks there make decisions essentially independently. 

I'm nervous about transitioning, as I'm wrapping up an MA in culture studies and I worry about the appearance of discipline-hopping--UW was clear that they don't consider it a "closely related discipline," but I was invited to Northwestern's interview weekend and they seem to think it is.

I interviewed with them as well -- I could have sworn they said early Feb. (Maybe that's what I'm telling myself to get myself to  stop obsessively checking my email, though...) 

Fingers are crossed for us (and for an update soon...!).

2 hours ago, IBrakeForVanJohnson said:

I'm in an MFA program that's in the same BU college as EMS, and yes, they always seem to have very small cohorts. I know that doesn't answer your questions, but I've heard them say great things! Good luck! 

Thanks for sharing! Yes, I attended their open house before application and really love the environment. Fingers crossed!!!! 

10 hours ago, kaithewriter said:

I interviewed with them as well -- I could have sworn they said early Feb. (Maybe that's what I'm telling myself to get myself to  stop obsessively checking my email, though...) 

Fingers are crossed for us (and for an update soon...!).

I hope you're right! Maybe my interviewer was just unrealistically optimistic about the speed at which committees move, which... been there. Which track did you apply in? 

4 hours ago, halcyonday said:

I hope you're right! Maybe my interviewer was just unrealistically optimistic about the speed at which committees move, which... been there. Which track did you apply in? 

Rhetoric, Politics, and Culture! :)

Hi everyone, I just received an admission email from UW Madison (I applied for Mass Communication PhD). However, it said that they cannot offer me financial support for the first year and they didn't mention fundings for the rest years. It is the first offer I received after rejections from UW, Stanford, and UCSB. Anyone has any suggestion? I am excited and confused. Thanks a lot!

@kaithewriter same!--who was your POI?

@sanchxuan sometimes you can put together your own funding through a position outside of the department. idk the landscape at UW, but I'd email the department secretary and also look at their job board. In my current program I know several people who got tuition wavers and stipends through assistantships in other places--the library, the grad college, teaching in other departments, etc.

24 minutes ago, sanchxuan said:

Hi everyone, I just received an admission email from UW Madison (I applied for Mass Communication PhD). However, it said that they cannot offer me financial support for the first year and they didn't mention fundings for the rest years. It is the first offer I received after rejections from UW, Stanford, and UCSB. Anyone has any suggestion? I am excited and confused. Thanks a lot!

I would definitely contact them and ask them what this means about the following years. Is the first year conditional to the rest? Or are they expecting funding to become available after students graduate next year, or are they unsure about ever having funding for you. I think it’s fair to respond with questions, the letter is vague. Also, congratulations!

Many thanks for @Psyhopeful  and @  halcyonday.  I've sent emails to ask about funding and assistantships. I checked their website again and about financial aid it writes "only a subset of admitted students is guaranteed financial support." Fundings seem to be quite limited. 

BTW, I didn't have an interview or skype call. So for those who are waiting for news from UW-Madison, admission letters are perhaps on the way and you may find it very unexpectedly as I did. Good luck to everyone and myself (hope I have other choices)!

I just had my video interview with Drexel. I think it went okay -- I perform better at in-person interviews, but that wasn't an option.

The committee mentioned this event during the interview and invited me to come. It seems to be a public event, so if any other folks are local to Drexel and free at 4pm today, maybe you'd like to go? There was some implication that the committee members might be there. I plan to attend.

7 hours ago, sanchxuan said:

Many thanks for @Psyhopeful  and @  halcyonday.  I've sent emails to ask about funding and assistantships. I checked their website again and about financial aid it writes "only a subset of admitted students is guaranteed financial support." Fundings seem to be quite limited. 

BTW, I didn't have an interview or skype call. So for those who are waiting for news from UW-Madison, admission letters are perhaps on the way and you may find it very unexpectedly as I did. Good luck to everyone and myself (hope I have other choices)!

Just to share some knowledge at this stressful moment: I also applied UW Madison, I had a phone talk with my POI BEFORE submitting my application when I sent a self-intro email. I was quite surprised. But I haven't heard from them since then.

I asked a friend who is doing his PhD there, and he told me there are indeed some students coming in without funding but once they find jobs on campus, a tuition remission will apply.

Apparently there are different tracks of admission (at least three): Communication Arts, Journalism/Mass Comm and Life Science Comm and the latter two are in one joint PhD program but the admission decisions are made independently. And that's why there are so much confusing different information about interviews and dates of notices.

I am not 100% percent sure about my friend's words but thought worth mentioning to clarify the myth of UW Madison admission a bit.

Btw, am I the only one applying the Life Science Comm track at UW Madison here? Looking forward to meeting some peers!

On 1/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, emmafriday said:

Hey, please can you show me where the post is? I haven't seen any at least in this forum. I have also applied to Wisconsin-Madison and several other schools, and UWM is really one of my dream schools. Wish us all good luck!!!

So far I've got an online interview scheduled with UNC-Chapel Hill soon, and they actually mentioned in admission instructions that there would be on-site interviews for US applicants and online ones for international applicants (my category).  

I think I will have my finger crossed and keep stress eating through January. Anyone joining the team? :P

Hi Emma (and all)!

I just joined in. Some updates from UWM and UNC on my end-I was set up for an "interview" with UWM that was actually an acceptance on January 28th. They said funding news will go out first and second week of February, but they are focused on teaching experience because they need TA's. Also, I received an interview invitation to UNC for the interview as well! It's a shame you are too far away to attend-it would be nice to have met someone before showing up! On a side note-my big dream is UPenn Annenberg...still waiting..

Hi All!

New to the thread! I'm a mass comm PhD applicant focused on international/political comm. I applied to:  UWMadison, UMichigan, UIBloomington, UGA, UPenn, Penn State, Stanford, and UPenn Annenberg. Responses so far:

UGA: Accepted (my home program so I found out early)

UWMadison: Accepted (funding letter in 1-2 weeks) (I learned some inside news on who gets $$ there-see my post to Emma Friday in this thread)

Stanford: Rejected (haha-not surprised..)

Penn State: Flying up for interview 2/7

UNC Chapel Hill: Flying up for interview 2/14

UPenn Annenberg (BIG DREAM): No News Yet, Ms. Murray says news comes out mid-February.

UMichigan: No News Yet

UI Bloomington: No News Yet

STATS: Undergrad GPA: 3.92, Grad GPA: 4.0, GRE: 310-V163/Q147. (I know-I bombed my Q...I have a lot of quant research experience and all A's in math on transcripts, including phD level-hoping that will compensate) A dozen or so academic awards and research grants, years of teaching experience and good research experience. One co-authored publication and two theses. A McNair Scholar (low income/1st gen) and speak a couple of foreign languages. 

I'm so thankful to be in any of the programs I applied to-they are all wonderful, but UPenn Annenberg is my dream school. I don't have connections to any faculty, but my research interests are an exact fit. I'm a total mess waiting to hear...checking emails all day everyday even though I know it's too early. Anybody have news from or any inside knowledge on Annenberg?

Good luck!

-Dannie

59 minutes ago, DannieGirl said:

Hi All!

New to the thread! I'm a mass comm PhD applicant focused on international/political comm. I applied to:  UWMadison, UMichigan, UIBloomington, UGA, UPenn, Penn State, Stanford, and UPenn Annenberg. Responses so far:

UWMadison: Accepted (funding letter in 1-2 weeks) (I learned some inside news on who gets $$ there-see my post to Emma Friday in this thread)

UPenn Annenberg (BIG DREAM): No News Yet, Ms. Murray says news comes out mid-February.

STATS: Undergrad GPA: 3.92, Grad GPA: 4.0, GRE: 310-V163/Q147. (I know-I bombed my Q...I have a lot of quant research experience and all A's in math on transcripts, including phD level-hoping that will compensate) A dozen or so academic awards and research grants, years of teaching experience and good research experience. One co-authored publication and two theses. A McNair Scholar (low income/1st gen) and speak a couple of foreign languages. 

I'm so thankful to be in any of the programs I applied to-they are all wonderful, but UPenn Annenberg is my dream school. I don't have connections to any faculty, but my research interests are an exact fit. I'm a total mess waiting to hear...checking emails all day everyday even though I know it's too early. Anybody have news from or any inside knowledge on Annenberg?

Good luck!

-Dannie

Hi Dannie, same here waiting for Upenn & UMichigan! :)  I m basically doing political comm, comm & tech stuff

5 hours ago, coffeeaddict2230 said:

Hi Dannie, same here waiting for Upenn & UMichigan! :)  I m basically doing political comm, comm & tech stuff

I’m also waiting on Penn and Michigan! My focus is media psychology and media effects, especially on kids. 

4 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I’m also waiting on Penn and Michigan! My focus is media psychology and media effects, especially on kids. 

that's nice! did u apply Northwestern? they have some ppl doing research on media psychology on kids

6 hours ago, DannieGirl said:

Oh, man-here's hoping! Lemme know if you hear something and I'll do the same! ?

yes sure!

@DannieGirl Hi there! Congrats on your admission! It seems our applications overlap a lot! I too got interviews from Penn State and UNC, both via skype in mid-January because I live abroad, but I didn't know their onsite interviews were arranged so late.

And I also applied to UPenn though I don't have very high expectation. My research interest lies in science and environment communication and climate-change related issues.

Let's just wait it out:)

23 hours ago, DannieGirl said:

Hi All!

Good luck!

-Dannie

Also waiting for UMich! I thought about applying to Annenberg but it wasn't a good fit for my research interests.

Hopefully we hear something apart from radio silence from U Mich soon

On 2/1/2019 at 9:54 AM, halcyonday said:

@kaithewriter same!--who was your POI?

@sanchxuan sometimes you can put together your own funding through a position outside of the department. idk the landscape at UW, but I'd email the department secretary and also look at their job board. In my current program I know several people who got tuition wavers and stipends through assistantships in other places--the library, the grad college, teaching in other departments, etc.

Sorry for the delayed reply -- I was accepted to UW-Madison on Friday! I'm over the moon. It's an interesting question, because I originally reached out to Prof. Howard, since some of my proposed research is based on the vernacularization of religious rhetoric in online forums/social media, but I also reached out to and interviewed with Profs. McKinnon and Johnson, because my research ALSO touches on gender/performance and health comm. Basically, Madison is one of two "perfect fits" for me because of the faculty...so getting in is a dream. 

Congrats @kaithewriter! I haven't heard anything from Madison since my interview, but we'll see I guess. It'd be a bummer to be rejected but it wasn't my perfect fit school, so I wouldn't be heartbroken. Did they email or call?

Edited to add (since this is still the most recent post): Just got an acceptance letter from UIUC/Institute of Communications Research!! My first acceptance, very excited!

Edited by halcyonday

@halcyondaycongrats on your acceptance!! 

re: UW-Madison, I got a phone call. 

Still waiting on a few more schools, but 'm not going to lie: I'm already kinda stoked about how much better the cost of living is going to be if/when I move to the Midwest... (I'm in CA.) 

I see some decisions have come out from two of the schools to which I applied (Drexel and Rutgers), but I checked their web portals and saw no decision on my applications. In the case of Drexel, that's probably a bad sign, but with Rutgers I'm not sure. Still holding out hope for some funding from Temple!

Can anyone claim the Drexel acceptance? If so, did you interview last Friday (2/1)?