2019 Applications Thread

4 hours ago, MadsGrad said:

I'm waiting for Florida State!  After I sent in my application on January 8th, I got an email that they would review my application shortly and I could expect to hear back in the coming weeks.  It's been a month now, and I'm super anxious/ checking my email every 30 mins.

I have not heard anything from FSU either. Florida and Kentucky already sent out acceptance notifications and are organizing their campus visits so I've sort of chilled about hearing from FSU...but still addicted to checking a few of times a day.

Did you apply for Master's or PhD? I was under the impression FSU's doctoral deadline was Dec. 15th? I sincerely hope that you get good news from FSU very soon!! 

23 minutes ago, ceruleanpeach said:

I have not heard anything from FSU either. Florida and Kentucky already sent out acceptance notifications and are organizing their campus visits so I've sort of chilled about hearing from FSU...but still addicted to checking a few of times a day.

Did you apply for Master's or PhD? I was under the impression FSU's doctoral deadline was Dec. 15th? I sincerely hope that you get good news from FSU very soon!! 

Congrats on hearing from Kentucky and Florida! I applied for Master’s. I’m still waiting to hear from the other two schools i applied to as well (UCF and Fordham), so the anxiety is high. 

Thank you, and i hope you hear good news from FSU soon too!

17 hours ago, transrelativity said:

Yes, still waiting on a funding offer from Temple. I'm getting more anxious about it now that I've heard from Rutgers. I also haven't seen any other Temple acceptances on the results page, so maybe they'll do the funding along with the main batch of notifications. I hope it'll be soon!

Today I saw someone get waitlisted at Drexel, but I've still heard nothing. The portal still says no decision has been made. Sounds like a hard pass, but I wish they'd just tell me and put me out of my misery.

I know what you mean about trying to limit the checks. I've had GradCafe open in two separate browser tabs for the last week or two, and it's making it hard to get work done!

I am still checking the mail as soon as I get home from work everyday in hopes I will see a little envelope from Temple there. I'll let you know when that happens ? And then hopefully around that time you will get work on funding! With you being one of the first acceptances to go out I am sure they'd want to make the effort to give you some sort of sustainable funding. I am down to checking only once every hour (or maybe twice) so there's progress lol

3 hours ago, jmc117 said:

I am still checking the mail as soon as I get home from work everyday in hopes I will see a little envelope from Temple there. I'll let you know when that happens ? And then hopefully around that time you will get work on funding! With you being one of the first acceptances to go out I am sure they'd want to make the effort to give you some sort of sustainable funding. I am down to checking only once every hour (or maybe twice) so there's progress lol

I'm rooting for you! Every day brings notification time closer.

I did learn from a friend who is currently in the English Ph.D. program at Temple that her funding offer didn't come until March. I'm thinking of setting up a visit at Rutgers later in February so that I can meet some of the faculty and students and get a feel for the department; I might ask to visit Temple again, too, and perhaps sit in on a class there. Doing that kind of assessment might help me take my mind off the wait for funding, and will certainly help with the final decision.

To all my fellow UPenn applicants: if history is any guide, I suppose we should be expecting decisions within the next week or two. I'm not sure how to feel; I have no idea whether or not my application was competitive. Just have to wait and see I guess!

1 hour ago, transrelativity said:

To all my fellow UPenn applicants: if history is any guide, I suppose we should be expecting decisions within the next week or two. I'm not sure how to feel; I have no idea whether or not my application was competitive. Just have to wait and see I guess!

Time cannot go any slower, waiting to hear from Penn. It was my "tied for #1" choice. (I got into the other one -- UW-Madison). Based on the profs at both madison and penn,  they're both perfect fits. Penn is just more convenient in terms of moving and having my partner find a job once we get there, so I'm hoping to be able to have the problem of making a choice where to go. I'd assumed feb 15, though, so I'm trying not to get too worked up about it until then...

56 minutes ago, kaithewriter said:

Time cannot go any slower, waiting to hear from Penn. It was my "tied for #1" choice. (I got into the other one -- UW-Madison). Based on the profs at both madison and penn,  they're both perfect fits. Penn is just more convenient in terms of moving and having my partner find a job once we get there, so I'm hoping to be able to have the problem of making a choice where to go. I'd assumed feb 15, though, so I'm trying not to get too worked up about it until then...

So glad that you got into your other top choice! I think I'm still on the fence about what my top choice would be. All four of the programs I applied to have compelling strengths. The faculty member I'm most excited to work with at Penn actually isn't in the school of communication, so that may work against me; on the other hand, I know that they encourage interdisciplinarity and taking courses outside of the department. Next week is going to feel so long!

1 minute ago, Psyhopeful said:

I just got accepted to the University of Michigan with a Rackham Merit Fellowship!!! I am stunned and so very happy, this school was my top choice and such a great research fit!

That's fantastic news! Congratulations!!!

My story of the day: I emailed the Rutgers graduate director and asked when I could visit campus and meet her. Not two hours later, I got an official invite to recruitment day. Face, meet palm! That's what I get for being overexcited!

On 2/8/2019 at 9:53 PM, Dares said:

So I'm assuming if we haven't heard from USC by now we can call that a rejection?

I'm not sure, but probably? 

I got a notification this morning saying I'd gotten into the MS in Journalism (I applied to both the MS and the PhD, because I felt like my odds were pretty long on the PhD), but no notification either way on the PhD. So...who knows at this point. 

Anyone else in at UMich? I’m still excited for my visit to UCSB, but right now UMich is looking really good! I’m 90% certain I have no chance at UPenn, but I guess I’ll finally be finding out this week!

3 hours ago, Please100 said:

Hi, congrats to everyone who got acceptance!

Did anyone apply to UT Austin advertising? 

Hey I applied to UT Austin  - Advertising PhD. Have you heard anything? Last time I contacted them, they said they would send out decisions towards the end of February.

Edited by fjf2019

2 hours ago, fjf2019 said:

Hey I applied to UT Austin  - Advertising PhD. Have you heard anything? Last time I contacted them, they said they would send out decisions towards the end of February.

No I haven’t heard anything and it says “in review” on my status page.. When did you contact them? 

On 2/3/2019 at 5:50 PM, Psyhopeful said:

I’m also waiting on Penn and Michigan! My focus is media psychology and media effects, especially on kids. 

Hi there! I just heard from Michigan-rejection. I was cool with it-it's a great school but wasn't a great fit. Congratulations on your acceptance!!!  

Edited by DannieGirl

Hey everyone!

I just came back from Penn State and wanted to put it out there for next year's applicants/readers of this thread that their resources and faculty exceeded my expectations. It was my first time visiting a Big 10 institution and it was impressive. Great people-super friendly/collaborative environment, nice facilities (beautiful Carnegie building on historic part of campus next to the main library). The PhD students were getting faculty mentorship for various grants and Fulbrights and succeeding with their applications. Also-the standard acceptance package: stipends were 20k, tuition and student fees included, excellent health insurance, plus optional summer stipend and a 1k per year travel money included with option to apply for extra. Cheers!

On 2/8/2019 at 1:37 PM, kaithewriter said:

Me too...I keep lurking in Gradcafe instead of doing my homework because I can't stop thinking about Penn. I got in to Madison as well-they sent a financial award letter on the 8th- 4 years with some fellowship years. I'll be honored to attend any of the places I applied-I really admire them all-but Penn's long wait feels almost like a drama device! I got rejected by UMich yesterday, I hope it's not foreshadowing Annenberg! 

Edited by DannieGirl

8 hours ago, Please100 said:

No I haven’t heard anything and it says “in review” on my status page.. When did you contact them? 

I contacted then early last week. I think we can expect a response during the last week of February. I don't know if it will include funding though. If you don't mind me asking, what is your profile like? Degrees, GPA, GRE, publications, etc?

48 minutes ago, DannieGirl said:

Me too...I keep lurking in Gradcafe instead of doing my homework because I can't stop thinking about Penn. I got in to Madison as well-they sent a financial award letter on the 8th- 4 years with some fellowship years. I'll be honored to attend any of the places I applied-I really admire them all-but Penn's long wait feels almost like a drama device! I got rejected by UMich yesterday, I hope it's not foreshadowing Annenberg! 

You got your financial award letter already? I’ve been checking my mailbox obsessively for anything from Madison...no dice yet. It might have ended up at our neighbor’s house though. Our mail people are not good at delivering mail where it’s supposed to go...

Sorry it didn't go your way at U Mich, @jmc117. But hopefully now you'll be getting news soon from your other options!

I got my official rejection from Drexel today. I thought I'd feel bummed, but I don't. I think they made the right decision; the interview showed that their program and I weren't a good fit for each other. I'm still waiting on UPenn (like half of this thread lol) and on funding from Temple. Hoping to get some news from at least one of those this week!