2019 Applications Thread

21 hours ago, fjf2019 said:

I contacted then early last week. I think we can expect a response during the last week of February. I don't know if it will include funding though. If you don't mind me asking, what is your profile like? Degrees, GPA, GRE, publications, etc?

I dont have fancy profile..I have one working paper(ready for submission), one conference paper, and I got above 80% on verbal and above 50% on quant... Also i do have master’s degree on communication (international). How about you? 

15 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I hope some from this thread gets into a UPenn! It seems like most of the comm people in the results don’t post here. I want to be happy for someone I actually “know”.

I hope so, too! I want to congratulate someone I've been waiting with!

2 hours ago, Please100 said:

I dont have fancy profile..I have one working paper(ready for submission), one conference paper, and I got above 80% on verbal and above 50% on quant... Also i do have master’s degree on communication (international). How about you? 

I have an undergraduate degree in Education (international) with a 4.0GPA, a Masters in Communication from the U.S. with a 4.0 as well, good recommendations, three years of teaching and work experience, three languages BUT a 159v/144q GRE, and no publications or conferences at all. I'm afraid PhD programs are very likely to reject someone with no publications or conferences at all. We will see!! I think you have a good chance as long as your research intent is a good match for them. 

2 hours ago, fjf2019 said:

I have an undergraduate degree in Education (international) with a 4.0GPA, a Masters in Communication from the U.S. with a 4.0 as well, good recommendations, three years of teaching and work experience, three languages BUT a 159v/144q GRE, and no publications or conferences at all. I'm afraid PhD programs are very likely to reject someone with no publications or conferences at all. We will see!! I think you have a good chance as long as your research intent is a good match for them. 

I don't know where you're applying, but don't worry about the lack of conferences or publications.  I would say that most of my cohort doesn't have either.  And honestly, your GRE seems about average from what I've seen.

So don't worry!  I agree that a research match is the most important part.

9 hours ago, fjf2019 said:

I think you will be above fine if your research interest fits well! And I also agree with @E-P cuz I saw many cases around me getting admissions without any publication. Don’t worry we never know! 

10 hours ago, fjf2019 said:

My GRE scores aren't the best (except for my writing, but that must've been a fluke!), a so-so undergrad GPA (3.2something), a 3.89 in my current MFA program, a few low-key conference presentations, and I still was accepted to a program because one of the professors wanted to work with me! I think at the end of the day, research alignments are really what matter. After all, just about everyone who is applying for a PhD program is absolutely qualified, but not everyone can match up with the program (does that make sense? I've been grading for the past hour or so and my brain is mush!)

I have been told that Michigan State’s Communication admissions committee (not Media & Information) has made their decisions, but I don’t know if they sent out any acceptances yet. I imagine everyone will hear something soon.

10 hours ago, Psyhopeful said:

I have been told that Michigan State’s Communication admissions committee (not Media & Information) has made their decisions, but I don’t know if they sent out any acceptances yet. I imagine everyone will hear something soon.

I heard the same, and that they're looking for funding for students so that's why they're taking a bit to send out offers. But yea, I think (based on history on the Results page) we may here by the end of this week...

23 minutes ago, commgirl1038 said:

I am also anxiously awaiting a decision from UPenn! Does anyone know what time these things usually come out? I would love to at least know that so I am not worried all day!

It’s kind of driving me nuts even though I’m sure I’m going to be a rejection. The last two years they notified on the Wednesday of Valentines’s Day week. They should be out by now! 

52 minutes ago, Psyhopeful said:

It’s kind of driving me nuts even though I’m sure I’m going to be a rejection. The last two years they notified on the Wednesday of Valentines’s Day week. They should be out by now! 

EXACTLY!! I just wanna know already:( I looked at my previous emails that were sent by Penn and they were mostly in the evening so maybe that's when it's coming

44 minutes ago, commgirl1038 said:

EXACTLY!! I just wanna know already:( I looked at my previous emails that were sent by Penn and they were mostly in the evening so maybe that's when it's coming

Wait where are you all seeing Wednesday? I searched the results postings and it looks like they've done Feb 15 for the last two years?

@jmc117 The Temple letter came by standard mail. I never got anything by email, and when I logged into their application site just now I didn't see any status indicators, either. I did actually get two separate letters, though; one came from the program, and a day later I got one from the dean of graduate studies. Both were by standard mail.

To my fellow UPenn wait squad: I'm guessing the results are going to come out on the 15th. That would be the middle of the month, and they've done the 15th in the past, according to the results page. Maybe they felt bad about doing it on V-Day last year!

9 minutes ago, transrelativity said:

Awesome news about LSE! Congrats!!

Thank you! I'm in a weird place today...I really love Madison (the only PhD I got into), but it will be hard for my partner to find a job there, and if we went to LSE, I'd get to work with a professor who I adore and would be honored to get to work with...but it's only a masters, and I'd still have to apply for a PhD the following year. Penn would have been a nice way to split the difference in terms of doing a phd and also going somewhere my partner is excited about, but...I'm grateful that I even HAVE options! I'm coming from outside of academia -- 10 years since the last time I was in school -- so I knew I was a long shot for most programs. 

36 minutes ago, kaithewriter said:

Thank you! I'm in a weird place today...I really love Madison (the only PhD I got into), but it will be hard for my partner to find a job there, and if we went to LSE, I'd get to work with a professor who I adore and would be honored to get to work with...but it's only a masters, and I'd still have to apply for a PhD the following year. Penn would have been a nice way to split the difference in terms of doing a phd and also going somewhere my partner is excited about, but...I'm grateful that I even HAVE options! I'm coming from outside of academia -- 10 years since the last time I was in school -- so I knew I was a long shot for most programs. 

Congratulations! LSE has the most amazing programs. I didn’t think I could get in or manage it as a single mom if I did, but I like to dream about it. Even if you do have to apply for a PhD again in a year, coming out of LSE, I bet you will have so many options! 

Got my Penn rejection too! Now I’ve just got my interview weekend at UCSB and to hear from one more school that I interviewed at and it will be decision time. I really didn’t expect to have choices, so I’m happy despite the 8 or so more rejections that will soon be making their way to me!

Received Penn rejection as well. Fortunately though I got a pretty good offer from UCSD which I’ll likely take. It’s always a rollercoaster browsing this site, being envious of the all-star applicants getting into ivies one second, having my heart broken for the people rejected everywhere the next. Graduate school is pretty whack.