DAAD 2019-2020

Ghilman Dilshad

27 minutes ago, Asell97 said:

who's going to Marburg for the language course in September?

Did your status change from Selection Made?

34 minutes ago, Asell97 said:

Yes, almost 2 weeks ago. Which county are you from?

Oh okay, congratulations! I'm from the Caribbean but my region falls under the "Latin America" category for the DAAD for some reason. 

On 5/5/2019 at 1:28 PM, DSegundo said:

Oh okay, congratulations! I'm from the Caribbean but my region falls under the "Latin America" category for the DAAD for some reason. 

Because the Caribbean is indeed Latin America 

On 5/8/2019 at 10:07 PM, elianacvd said:

Because the Caribbean is indeed Latin America 

It's not lol, most of the Caribbean countries aren't even Spanish-speaking; additionally, my country isn't even geographically considered a part of the Caribbean sometimes but has more cultural connections with the Caribbean than the North American mainland so it's grouped into the former. I'm closer to the North American DAAD office in New York but the regional office I fall under is way down in Colombia which doesn't make sense to me but anyways....

giphy.gif

Also, I never got around to making an official announcement (forgot lot) but my application status changed to funding!!!! I woke up about two and a half weeks ago to an email from the DAAD with the gist as follows:

photo5098267236124174435.thumb.jpg.304ea49cc6ba7d4fd08584d8a0c3f9fe.jpg

And when I checked my status it had gone blank; a few days later it updated to Funding:

photo5098267236124174436.thumb.jpg.6f2e87d06e2c0d2264290749955ad836.jpg

It was almost too good to believe for a few days, and I felt like I would jinx myself somehow lol so I didn't really tell anyone for a few days until I got my official letter of award and documents. I'm really happy about being chosen, even though I haven't posted much I actually have been following this thread for some months now and it was very encouraging during all those weeks and weeks of no updates and waiting to hear a decision. Now half the battle is over; I still have to get accepted into the schools. My language course is going to be in Munich; is anyone else going there? All the best to those still waiting to hear back on their applications ❤️

Edited by DSegundo
Wrong photo

This is a random question, but I couldn't find it online and my potential host professor wanted me to double check. Can you apply for the DAAD with the same application material/research topic as the Fulbright in the same year? Given you can only accept one, I don't see why not, but was wondering if any of you have encountered that?

Thanks in advance!

15 hours ago, Transport said:

This is a random question, but I couldn't find it online and my potential host professor wanted me to double check. Can you apply for the DAAD with the same application material/research topic as the Fulbright in the same year? Given you can only accept one, I don't see why not, but was wondering if any of you have encountered that?

Thanks in advance!

As far as I'm aware the two selection committees are independent of one another so that should be fine. I don't recall seeing any restrictions on the DAAD's application info page about using the proposal elsewhere at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kigen,

Also from Kenya, applied for PhD IT.No yet, my status is "selection made" and has been there for the last two weeks.What is your status?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I want to apply for the EPOS scholarship in Master's programme International education management for year2020, its painful i missed this year's application deadline. When can I submit my required documents to the school. There is no information as regard this on the website at the moment. Please I would appreciate a response. Thank you

On 5/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, Kigen said:

Halo,

Anyone from Kenya here who have gotten the award? May status changed to Selection Made! Anyone who applied to study at Stathmore University please, updates.

My status just changed to "Funding"

Hi all! I’ve found this group so helpful over the course of the application so thank you for that!

I am a study scholarship winner from the US for a 2 year masters program plan which starts in October. My university application deadlines all happened after the DAAD award announcements and the admission decisions are due to come out mid-August. My universities also each have some aspect of selection that comes out early July. 

Having not heard anything from my schools yet, I’m definitely starting to get nervous. Has anyone heard of Masters students being awarded DAAD but not acceptance into their schools? 

My advisors here in the US come at it from a US context and say that’s unlikely, but when I reached out to the schools themselves they said they don’t really care if you have DAAD or not, and that GPA is what matters. 

My GPA once converted isn’t great, but in the US context people tend to take into consideration upward trends in grades and factors such as working your way through school.

Not sure if anyone would know but thanks!

On 7/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, Tlar650 said:

Hi all! I’ve found this group so helpful over the course of the application so thank you for that!

I am a study scholarship winner from the US for a 2 year masters program plan which starts in October. My university application deadlines all happened after the DAAD award announcements and the admission decisions are due to come out mid-August. My universities also each have some aspect of selection that comes out early July. 

Having not heard anything from my schools yet, I’m definitely starting to get nervous. Has anyone heard of Masters students being awarded DAAD but not acceptance into their schools? 

My advisors here in the US come at it from a US context and say that’s unlikely, but when I reached out to the schools themselves they said they don’t really care if you have DAAD or not, and that GPA is what matters. 

My GPA once converted isn’t great, but in the US context people tend to take into consideration upward trends in grades and factors such as working your way through school.

Not sure if anyone would know but thanks!

Hello there, congratulations on your being awarded the scholarship. I was in the same situation in that my university application deadlines were all after the award announcement as well, and since my degree has to first be evaluated by uni-assist before my first choice school will even begin to process my application I'm probably looking at mid-August acceptance at the earliest also. I am kind of nervous about it, especially since I'm leaving at the end of this month to start my language course, and have already given my job resignation notice and started saying goodbye to my friends etc, etc.

It would be really embarrassing if I moved away for two months and had to come right back (unemployed) because I didn't get accepted into a school lol. The DAAD seems to feel it's unlikely to happen so that's at least somewhat comforting then, and I'm not sure about the North American DAAD but for the region I was grouped into, I was told the award can be started as late as the spring semester of the next year so I have a bit of backup in the sense that even if I do get rejected for fall and have to come back home, two out of my three programs have spring start dates also so I can reapply and try to get in then. 

I'm surprised your program (did you only apply to one?) considers GPA so heavily as well, for mine GPA is only a component of your total points for admission as they heavily weigh also the specific courses you studied in your undergraduate, regardless of the grade obtained. Did the school give you an average grade for the previous cohort that was admitted? And which city are you planning to move to in Germany, I'll be heading to Munich. Once again congratulations!

On 7/5/2019 at 1:04 AM, DSegundo said:

Hello there, congratulations on your being awarded the scholarship. I was in the same situation in that my university application deadlines were all after the award announcement as well, and since my degree has to first be evaluated by uni-assist before my first choice school will even begin to process my application I'm probably looking at mid-August acceptance at the earliest also. I am kind of nervous about it, especially since I'm leaving at the end of this month to start my language course, and have already given my job resignation notice and started saying goodbye to my friends etc, etc.

It would be really embarrassing if I moved away for two months and had to come right back (unemployed) because I didn't get accepted into a school lol. The DAAD seems to feel it's unlikely to happen so that's at least somewhat comforting then, and I'm not sure about the North American DAAD but for the region I was grouped into, I was told the award can be started as late as the spring semester of the next year so I have a bit of backup in the sense that even if I do get rejected for fall and have to come back home, two out of my three programs have spring start dates also so I can reapply and try to get in then. 

I'm surprised your program (did you only apply to one?) considers GPA so heavily as well, for mine GPA is only a component of your total points for admission as they heavily weigh also the specific courses you studied in your undergraduate, regardless of the grade obtained. Did the school give you an average grade for the previous cohort that was admitted? And which city are you planning to move to in Germany, I'll be heading to Munich. Once again congratulations!

Hey DSegundo, 

Yeah thanks for the info. Sadly it looks like I wont be getting into the schools I applied to. Or at the very least I was not invited to take the exam for my top choice (they only invite top applicants). I applied to 2 schools and both are very GPA heavy where they only let you interview or take an exam if you make a cutoff. I thought I would at least be close enough to get invited for the second round, which I would do much better in. The only way I can be admitted at this point is based on waiting semesters (semesters between undergrad and now, which for me is 8 ) The cutoff for my schools last year for waiting semesters was 12 so likely not going to happen. I will be reaching out to my regional office to see what they will do, but yeah there is little-no info on this scenario which makes me think this is super rare. Technically it wont be official til August so fingers crossed! 

If I have to apply again, I know I will be looking for schools that are not solely GPA based. It's sad that this strict cutoff system is still in place. Especially as someone who teaches at a university now, grading can be so subjective, especially the letter grades ultimately received. Especially in science classes!

Both my programs are in Berlin and are in English so there is no language school for me. It's odd to receive the invites to DAAD orientation and I may not even be able to do my DAAD ? 

I won't give up though, I may apply again next year. Thanks again for the insights

Tori

On 5/16/2019 at 5:57 PM, Transport said:

Thanks in advance!

You definitely can, I did. I was only awarded DAAD but there is no restriction to apply and they are separate completely. Fulbright is only for 1 year of funding though. And Fulbright cares a lot more about your language skills even if your programs in Germany are in English. The applications are also slightly different, but I used a lot of my Fulbright materials to write my DAAD application. 

On 7/5/2019 at 1:04 AM, DSegundo said:

Yeah, and I've also started to say goodbyes and left my job as well! >.< 

6 hours ago, Tlar650 said:

Yeah, and I've also started to say goodbyes and left my job as well! >.< 

I feel your pain, I'm not going to find out if I've been accepted to any university I applied to until I'm doing the language course in Munich, which rules out booking accommodation and all that until very late.

You'd think they would have worked out the timing by now, if only to save us all this anxiety ?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all,  

I'm in the midst of applying for EPOS-DAAD scholarship for an LLM program, and would like someone to shed some light on one of the requirements below:

"You have not been living outside your home country (or another developing country) for more than the past two years"

I do not quite understand the requirement above, especially "more than the past two years" part. For example, if I had lived in my home country for the past 1.5 years (Feb 2018-Aug 2019) and  I was living abroad for 0.5 years (Aug 2017-Feb 2018), does it mean I satisfy the requirement above? If say I had been living abroad for over 3 years prior to Feb 2018, do I still satisfy the requirement above? 

Really appreciate if someone could help me out on this one.

Thank you in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/28/2019 at 9:46 PM, JuanD. said:

Hello all.

I am new in the forum, however reading your shares and comments was truly helpful in my quest for a DAAD scholarship on 2019.

That’s why I wanted to give something in return by sharing here my experience, successfully obtaining a DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme 2019 scholarship (full Master's Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance – PPGG).

I received a confirmation just a few days ago on the platform, after a long process started long time ago. If you guys have questions, comments, or you were also awarded with a HSP scholarship, please don’t hesitate in contact me.

Best,
Juan D.

On 2/5/2019 at 8:46 PM, JuanD. said:

Hello all.

I am new in the forum, however reading your shares and comments was truly helpful in my quest for a DAAD scholarship on 2019.

That’s why I wanted to give something in return by sharing here my experience, successfully obtaining a DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme 2019 scholarship (full Master's Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance – PPGG).

I received a confirmation just a few days ago on the platform, after a long process started long time ago. If you guys have questions, comments, or you were also awarded with a HSP scholarship, please don’t hesitate in contact me.

Best,
Juan D.

•  

Hi Juan, 

Congratulations on the successful application, and I hope it's going well so far for you. 

I'm currently on the waitlist for Duisburg-Essen's MA in Development and Governance, and have been contacted twice by their faculty. The last communication said the results will be out shortly, thinking this would be by the end of December, but that's yet to happen. 

Could you kindly fill me in on how your own application went, right up until you got the notification to upload your documents/to when you find out you'd been successful?

Hi @JuanD.

Congratulations on the successful application, and I hope it's going well so far for you. 

I'm currently on the waitlist for Duisburg-Essen's MA in Development and Governance, and have been contacted twice by their faculty. The last communication said the results will be out shortly, thinking this would be by the end of December, but that's yet to happen. 

Could you kindly fill me in on how your own application went, right up until you got the notification to upload your documents/to when you find out you'd been successful?