Question

Hello there!

I'm an out-of-field student (majored in History) who is looking to apply to grad school for SLP for Fall 2019! I'm currently looking at the following schools:

San Jose State University
CSU East Bay
UT Dallas
Northern Arizona University
Marquette University
Montclair State University
Grand Valley State University
University of the Pacific
University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

Here are my stats: 3.97 GPA, Currently taking prerequisite classes and will have 2 by application, 161V/160Q/4.5W. I was a teaching intern at a literacy/creative writing nonprofit, worked at my college's writing center for 3 years, worked with elderly people at a safe/affordable housing nonprofit, was an AmeriCorps college access counselor for low-income high school students of color, and currently work at a speech therapy private practice with preschoolers. I'm also certified as a Registered Behavior Technician and hope to soon start doing ABA therapy at my current job. 

Is there anything else I can do to improve my application? What are my chances for getting into the schools above? Thanks!

1 answer to this question

I don't know much about the schools you listed, as I am from the east coast. But with your stats, I would say you have an excellent chance of getting into most schools you apply to. Your stats are significantly better than mine and I was a CSD major and I was accepted to 3/5 schools I applied to. As long as your letters of recommendation and your letter of intent all match your glowing resume, I honestly don't think you will have a problem at all. I wouldn't be concerned about being an out of field major. You definitely have enough experience in the field/related fields. You should be just fine!