Gender/Feminist Studies (Fall 2019)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey all! Hoping to revive this thread as the application period for most programs is coming to an end and we're transitioning into decisions time ? 

How are folks feeling about their apps? I still have three left to submit and am already rapidly losing faith in my chances! I'm considering sending out a couple more apps, if my bank account will allow it.

Here are the programs I'm applying to:

• University of Michigan – joint PhD program in Women’s Studies and History (first choice; probably a long shot)
  • Indiana University at Bloomington – PhD program in Gender Studies
  • Emory University – PhD program in Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies (notoriously competitive - also a long shot)
  • Rutgers University – PhD program in the History of Women & Gender
  • University of Texas at Austin – MA program in Women’s and Gender Studies
  • University of Oxford – MSt program in Women's Studies
  • New York University – MA program in History of Women and Gender

Would love to hear how other folks are doing :)

Hi @alp041!!! I also have just a few applications left (4, all on the 15th). 

Your programs look awesome...I didn't even know that some of those existed. I'm a current undergraduate at one of the schools whose MA programs you're applying to--feel free to DM me if you want to chat about the school or the fit! 

I'm applying to both WGSS programs and American Studies, but all have queer/trans studies faculty: 

• The Ohio State University--MA program in WGSS
  • UW-Madison--MA in WGSS
  • University of Minnesota--PhD in Feminist Studies
  • UC Santa Cruz--PhD in feminist studies
  • University of Minnesota--PhD in AMST
  • Yale--PhD in AMST
  • University of Maryland, College Park--PhD in AMST
  • UC Davis--PhD in cultural studies

I'm already anxiously counting down the days until I hear back! (while I'm in the midst of finals)...

Hi everyone. I'm applying this cycle as well.  Currently in a gap year, have a BA in Women's Studies. I am anxious, definitely stressing already and have been losing sleep... Here are the places I'm applying. I'm regretting not applying to more places, but money is tight.

Emory- WGSS PhD

Rutgers- WGS PhD

Minnesota- Feminist Studies PhD 

UT Austin- WGS MA 

DePaul- WGS MA/MSW 

Georgia State- WGSS MA

I also got my rejection from Minnesota yesterday. I'm assuming we all got the same letter. Mine says: 

The faculty in the Feminist Studies PhD program, have completed a review of your application for admission to graduate study at the University of Minnesota.

We have carefully considered all of your application materials, and unfortunately your admission has not been approved. There were a great many excellent applications, and therefore the final decision was very difficult.

I sincerely regret that we are unable to approve your admission, and hope that our decision will not discourage you from pursuing further academic education or professional development. Please accept our best wishes for success in your future endeavors.

Good luck to everyone... I know this process is so rough. My second time. I was admitted to a phd program in womens studies, and am in the middle of my second year. Getting my masters at the end of the year. 

Im applying to a few schools, Toronto and Rutgers womens studies, Berkeley ethnic studies, and Minnesota American studies. soooo nervous! 

I'm curious to know, did any of you reach out to people at the places where you applied? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, stressedandconfused said:

I hope everyone had a great New Year! I’m going crazy waiting. I heard back yesterday from Ohio State WGSS and I am scheduled for an interview next week. Is anyone else interviewing there? I’m hella nervous. 

Same! I also got the interview email and I’m super nervous! There seemed like there were a LOT of slots for interviews

22 hours ago, gradhopeful96 said:

Same! I also got the interview email and I’m super nervous! There seemed like there were a LOT of slots for interviews

Yeah! I saw that as well! Hopefully there’s more slots than finalists. 

6 minutes ago, stressedandconfused said:

Yeah! I saw that as well! Hopefully there’s more slots than finalists. 

Yes hopefully! All the slots on the same day looked like they were back to back to back so I’m just hoping they did that for the applicants’ convenience rather than them interviewing 50 people for 5-6 places!!! ?

I applied to ASU's gender studies phd program, and am so anxious!!! I applied 2 years ago but didn't get in, so I am doubly anxious haha. Also applied to Umass Amherst's Social Justice Education phd program.... 

It's literally all I can think about lately, and wanting to quit my job is only adding to the fixation about hearing back! :(