Gender/Feminist Studies (Fall 2019)

On 1/20/2019 at 12:57 AM, stressedandconfused said:

I listed them on the first page of this thread. Sorry I just don’t want to type it out again haha ?

@stressedandconfused ? Looking back I completely understand why you wouldn't want to type all that out. 

As an aside, finding Canadian faculty members with interest in Queer/Trans studies was a little like pulling teeth ?

Edited by jmc117

51 minutes ago, jmc117 said:

@stressedandconfused ? Looking back I completely understand why you wouldn't want to type all that out. 

As an aside, finding Canadian faculty members with interest in Queer/Trans studies was a little like pulling teeth ?

Oh god...finding programs to apply to was the most horrible process. I remember York had a few though! I know someone in another program at York which has a lot of the WGSS faculty and they absolutely love it. 

54 minutes ago, jmc117 said:

So happy to see another trans studies applicant here tho!! :)

1 hour ago, jmc117 said:

I did my MA at York focusing in trans studies, pm if you have any questions!

2 hours ago, gradhopeful96 said:

Hey I saw someone reported an interview to Rutgers...does anyone know if all interview requests went out already??

I don't know about that, but I saw that too.  Since that person said Rutgers would be getting back to people by mid-end of February, it sounds like no (or at least I want to believe no). 

5 hours ago, socisocisoci said:

I don't know about that, but I saw that too.  Since that person said Rutgers would be getting back to people by mid-end of February, it sounds like no (or at least I want to believe no). 

Yeah I was confused by that. It said that they were going to hear back by mid-end of February, but I wasn't sure if that was for the shortlist of candidates who already got interview dates?

33 minutes ago, gradhopeful96 said:

Yeah I was confused by that. It said that they were going to hear back by mid-end of February, but I wasn't sure if that was for the shortlist of candidates who already got interview dates?

Yeah, its very odd. I dont know. I am just gonna go straight into denial and pretend maybe there's still a shot or not everyone's been contacted. Someone also posted right before that  (who I assume is the same person) about getting an interview from UC Santa Cruz Feminist Studies, which I didn't think did interviews, so its all a bit odd. 

10 minutes ago, socisocisoci said:

Yeah, its very odd. I dont know. I am just gonna go straight into denial and pretend maybe there's still a shot or not everyone's been contacted. Someone also posted right before that  (who I assume is the same person) about getting an interview from UC Santa Cruz Feminist Studies, which I didn't think did interviews, so its all a bit odd. 

yeah it's a little weird. the post also says the interview invite went out on the 18th, so it just makes me nervous haha. from past years, it looks like interview invites went out anywhere from the end of january to the end of february, so there's not a lot to tell from there...

2 hours ago, socisocisoci said:

Actually, one of my friends (who refuses to use gradcafe) got accepted to Santa Cruz last week. It’s their first year doing interviews. 

Hello,

I am considering doing a research exchange in the US during my doctoral studies (I live in Canada). In your opinion, what are the best gender and women's studies department in the US when it comes to the topic of sexual violence (my thesis topic).

5 hours ago, animegirlfriend said:

Same about expecting a rejection from Rutgers. I think I was a little over optimistic about getting into a PhD program straight out of undergrad. I will be grateful if I get into an MA program.

I definitely feel this. Most of my peers who applied (outside of WGSS) have already heard back and been admitted to PhD programs. 

Whoops, haven't checked this thread in a while... I got my first rejection earlier this month but today I got my first acceptance!  I never really pictured myself living in the Midwest but it seems like a great fit and their funding offer was really generous so I am very seriously considering it!

I'm applying straight from undergrad (currently in my senior year) so for those of you who are doubting yourselves, don't! It's possible! It seems like the most important factor is the fit of the program, so a nice way to look at it is that at least you'll only get into programs that can support you and all your academic dreams :)