Jump to content
lkaitlyn

Gender/Feminist Studies (Fall 2019)

Recommended Posts

Whoops, haven't checked this thread in a while... I got my first rejection (from Emory) earlier this month but today I got my first acceptance! It's from the gender studies PhD program at Indiana University. I never really pictured myself living in the Midwest but it seems like a great fit and their funding offer was really generous so I am very seriously considering it!

I'm applying straight from undergrad (currently in my senior year) so for those of you who are doubting yourselves, don't! It's possible! It seems like the most important factor is the fit of the program, so a nice way to look at it is that at least you'll only get into programs that can support you and all your academic dreams :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Still waiting on a few GS programs. Waiting is tough.

Anyone happen to know the admissions stats for The University of Minnesota?

What about UCSC? I wonder if all of their interviewees have heard back yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, needdat said:

 

Still waiting on a few GS programs. Waiting is tough.

Anyone happen to know the admissions stats for The University of Minnesota?

What about UCSC? I wonder if all of their interviewees have heard back yet...

My friend got into Santa Cruz 2 weeks ago ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stressedandconfused said:

My friend got into Santa Cruz 2 weeks ago ?

The results page also lists someone getting an interview. Maybe they’re waiting to see if any of them choose other offers. Hmm. Lol uncertainty does awful things to ones imagination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2019 at 11:09 PM, alp041 said:

Whoops, haven't checked this thread in a while... I got my first rejection (from Emory) earlier this month but today I got my first acceptance! It's from the gender studies PhD program at Indiana University. I never really pictured myself living in the Midwest but it seems like a great fit and their funding offer was really generous so I am very seriously considering it!

I'm applying straight from undergrad (currently in my senior year) so for those of you who are doubting yourselves, don't! It's possible! It seems like the most important factor is the fit of the program, so a nice way to look at it is that at least you'll only get into programs that can support you and all your academic dreams :) 

Congrats! I applied to IU's GS program as well! I haven't heard back yet. Was it via phone or email? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw on the results page that someone was on the waitlist at Rutgers. I haven't received any news from there, so I'm probably just waiting for my rejection. Has anyone heard anything more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, Anzi said:

I received acceptance from  Arizona State U, anyone heard about their Gender Studies program before? 

Ou I strongly considered applying there! It seemed like an awesome program. Location wise it was just too far though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmc117 said:

Ou I strongly considered applying there! It seemed like an awesome program. Location wise it was just too far though.

Thank you so much! I see your program list and I also applied for York's WGSS. But it is highly unlikely to receive admission since one of my references couldn't write a letter, and I have no means to change the information. Sad, but I wish you could get into! 

 

Edited by Anzi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anzi said:

Thank you so much! I see your program list and I also applied for York's WGSS. But it is highly unlikely to receive admission since one of my references couldn't write a letter, and I have no means to change the information. Sad, but I wish you could get into! 

 

Oh no sorry to hear about your reference :( Are you waiting to see other acceptances or pretty set on Arizona?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhhh dang, just got a rejection from U. Michigan's Psychology and Women's Studies Joint program. I really liked their program and am a bit disappointed, but fortunately I have other things in the fire! That also hopefully means that their admission announcement will go out soon. Good luck to those still in the running!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, jmc117 said:

Oh no sorry to hear about your reference :( Are you waiting to see other acceptances or pretty set on Arizona?

It's OK. I am not really into York tbh, even I love their faculty pack. The whole school runs with an incredibly low efficiency. 

Still waiting other schools' response. I hope I could get a better one lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anzi said:

It's OK. I am not really into York tbh, even I love their faculty pack. The whole school runs with an incredibly low efficiency. 

Still waiting other schools' response. I hope I could get a better one lol.

The low efficiency comment is what I have been hearing consistently across the board...makes me nervous lol. Yeah me too. Funding would be very nice too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jmc117 said:

The low efficiency comment is what I have been hearing consistently across the board...makes me nervous lol. Yeah me too. Funding would be very nice too!

York is really about what you make of it. There are a few people I know who've finished their PhDs and gotten multiple  offers from very very good schools in the states, and there are others who dont ( also striking every few years means there are a few more obstacles to contend with).
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, socisocisoci said:

York is really about what you make of it. There are a few people I know who've finished their PhDs and gotten multiple  offers from very very good schools in the states, and there are others who dont ( also striking every few years means there are a few more obstacles to contend with).
 

Very true as well. I am thankful I know (for the most part) what I am stepping into with York should they offer me an acceptance there.

I will say that the current student profiles give me hope as there are people doing relatable projects to what I imagine my own would be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wrote to UTornoto and I got a reply saying that the admissions committee meets through Feb and they send out results in March mostly. Not sure if that is actually the case or if it is just a standard mail sent to anxious people waiting for results!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi everyone! been lurking on this forum for a while. the only gender studies PhD program I applied to was Rutgers. I randomly checked the web portal today and saw that I've been admitted--but under "degree" it now says MA, not PhD. has this happened to anyone? is it normal practice for a PhD program to admit applicants for an MA instead of a PhD? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 11:36 AM, animegirlfriend said:

I saw on the results page that someone was on the waitlist at Rutgers. I haven't received any news from there, so I'm probably just waiting for my rejection. Has anyone heard anything more?

I checked the portal today and saw that I was accepted--but it now says "MA" not "PhD." I'm checking with the department to see what this means for sure. maybe keep checking the portal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, formermary said:

I checked the portal today and saw that I was accepted--but it now says "MA" not "PhD." I'm checking with the department to see what this means for sure. maybe keep checking the portal?

Hey, did you had an interview? Can you update us here regarding the situation?

I am waitlisted but haven't heard anything from them since last week. I hope I can make it. It is (was) my first choice!

I hope you made it also! 

Best,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, formermary said:

I checked the portal today and saw that I was accepted--but it now says "MA" not "PhD." I'm checking with the department to see what this means for sure. maybe keep checking the portal?

Hmm, just checked the portal and I still have a "no decision" status. Thanks for the update and congrats. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 5:22 AM, Wanndah said:

Hey, did you had an interview? Can you update us here regarding the situation?

I am waitlisted but haven't heard anything from them since last week. I hope I can make it. It is (was) my first choice!

I hope you made it also! 

Best,

I just got this email from the department:

In reviewing some of the applications, the Admissions Committee decided that some applications would work best for the Masters, rather than for the Doctoral, Program.  if you have been notified that you have been accepted into the Masters Program, then, yes, you have been considered for and accepted to matriculate into that Program only.

So, they admitted me for the MA instead of the PhD. Very weird because I applied for the PhD specifically! I hope you get off the waitlist for the PhD! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, formermary said:

I just got this email from the department:

In reviewing some of the applications, the Admissions Committee decided that some applications would work best for the Masters, rather than for the Doctoral, Program.  if you have been notified that you have been accepted into the Masters Program, then, yes, you have been considered for and accepted to matriculate into that Program only.

So, they admitted me for the MA instead of the PhD. Very weird because I applied for the PhD specifically! I hope you get off the waitlist for the PhD! 

Hi, I just get the access to the portal of my RU application status. I realized I haven't yet provide my financial document nor official transcript, would this affect the committees' decision making? 

Edited by Anzi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Anzi said:

Hi, I just get the access to the portal of my RU application status. I realized I haven't yet provide my financial document nor official transcript, would this affect the committees' decision making? 

I have no idea--I'm just an applicant! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received a rejection from British Columbia, which says they got 120 applicants this year and only admit 2-3 people of the total. Good luck! 

Edited by Anzi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.