Hi,

I am taking a gap year and going to teach English abroad (great speech experience). I graduated with just under a 3.7 GPA, have strong letters of rec and experience and am hoping my essay is very telling of my passion. Unfortunately, I took the gre and got a 153 (61st) on verbal and 151(42nd) on math with a 5.0 (92nd) on AW. I am applying to competitive schools in NY and Boston. I am wondering if my GRE scores will hinder my applications even being read? or how much they matter?  SOS. If anyone was accepted/goes to any school in these cities please help :) 

I wasn't accepted into schools in those cities, but I would say that those scores are actually really good. You are well above the 50th percentile on 2 and the other score is still a very good score. I was told to shoot for 150s on verbal and quantitative and 4 or higher on AW. So in my opinion, I would say you are looking pretty good. I was in the 38th percentile for quantitative and I was accepted into 3/5 schools I applied to in Pennsylvania. I would just suggest to apply to a few less competitive schools that are maybe not in the city, that you would enjoy attending as "safety schools". I was advised to apply to both "reach" and "safety" schools to give myself the best chance. 

Best of luck to you!

On 8/13/2018 at 3:49 PM, katie_rose said:

Hi,

I am taking a gap year and going to teach English abroad (great speech experience). I graduated with just under a 3.7 GPA, have strong letters of rec and experience and am hoping my essay is very telling of my passion. Unfortunately, I took the gre and got a 153 (61st) on verbal and 151(42nd) on math with a 5.0 (92nd) on AW. I am applying to competitive schools in NY and Boston. I am wondering if my GRE scores will hinder my applications even being read? or how much they matter?  SOS. If anyone was accepted/goes to any school in these cities please help :) 

I agree with the previous poster, those scores are pretty decent (especially AW).  So that combined with your experience will put you in a pretty good position I think. 

Hi! I had the same GPA as you and my scores were only a couple points higher (155 on verbal, 154 on math and 5.5 on writing), along with good letters of rec and a year of work experience and I got into NYU and BU if that helps! I really don't think your scores will hurt you, they're actually pretty good! It also sounds like you have a lot going for you in terms of your whole application so I think you'll be just fine! Most schools have a holistic approach so I doubt they wouldn't look at you just because of your GRE (which isnt bad at all)! Good luck, hope this helped to ease your mind a little bit!