NSF GRFP 2018-2019

lambda

15 hours ago, FunInPhonology said:

Fugg fuhk fk fuuuuh ? haven’t had nightmares or dreams about the award.... just really thinking there’s like a “before nsf results” and “after NSF results” period happening in my life right now. 

Honestly, I’m also stressed out by the timeline you have to be on if you get awarded, you have to stick to one project and also report in periodically about it? Grad school already seems stressful enough. 

Can you change your topic? 

Tomorrow is gonna be so annoying

You definitely don't have to stick with the same project. I'm working on an entirely different subject area than I originally got my award in. The annual reporting requirement is really casual, too - as long as you turn in a write-up of what you've been doing by May 15th every year, you're golden! There's no stressful aspect about any of it afaik so don't worry. Best of luck getting it :)

3 minutes ago, cullenish said:

AHHHHHHHHHHH

This gonna be such a weight off my shoulders. I have a research presentation tomorrow though so I'm going to be a little distracted regardless of the results lol

20190408_143005.jpg

Ahh!!!

What does this mean? When do people think results will be released?

21 minutes ago, Rc2121 said:

Interesting! I checked with my friend on the GRFP (shes one lab over) and she is sending in monthly updates. I'm not sure if this is a new requirement or something they only make MS students do? It is definitely a monthly update for her though

Maybe it's only for newer awardees? I got it in 2016 as a MS student and have only been required to send yearly updates.

This sounds maybe like something extra the department/university has requested? We turn ours in every May 1st. (Except for this year, it's been pushed back until May 15th. That likely means students will have until then to accept new awards as well.)

2 minutes ago, bahbahblacksheep said:

This is exactly how I feel

Same.... oh dear.

But on informational note, does anyone know how do they usually alert you? Do you go on to fastlane and click down to '2019' for the awardees? Or does that not go up immediately? Or do the send an email? Or emails only to awardees?

4 minutes ago, md@ said:

Same.... oh dear.

But on informational note, does anyone know how do they usually alert you? Do you go on to fastlane and click down to '2019' for the awardees? Or does that not go up immediately? Or do the send an email? Or emails only to awardees?

They send an email. But as to which one will come first, I don't really know

19 minutes ago, md@ said:

Same.... oh dear.

I would check Fastlane. I got an honorable mention last year and didn't receive an email until about 10 the next morning. Actual award emails go out sooner, I believe, but the results are listed as soon as maintenance is complete. I know because I was refreshing every 10 seconds last year around 2 eastern time and checked my name immediately. ?

I’m so nervous because I don’t know how I’ll take it with either outcome. I’m still quite content with my application when I pulled it up a couple days ago to point out the fact to my boyfriend that I said something about how I wanted to increase awareness on how the power system/electricity works after our president announced that wind turbines caused cancer a couple days ago. 

Overall I’m quite happy and proud of what I’ve submitted, but I’m petrified that I made some small error that screwed me over in the end.

It’s something that I’ve accepted that it’s okay if I’m not awarded, but the rejection will still hurt 

Well, I will definitely be glad to find out results, no matter the outcome. I'm at an uninteresting school, with a topic about a novel method for robotic manipulators to determine how to grab an object. Not very hopeful about winning, but my PhD will be much easier if I do. Good luck to all!

I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight....

30 minutes ago, cmcollander said:

Well, I will definitely be glad to find out results, no matter the outcome. I'm at an uninteresting school, with a topic about a novel method for robotic manipulators to determine how to grab an object. Not very hopeful about winning, but my PhD will be much easier if I do. Good luck to all!

I doubt I'll be able to sleep tonight....

Hey now, everyone feels that way. I’ve certainly questioned the importance of my research, but it is important at the end of the day! Whether what you’re doing is making a small piece fit into a larger puzzle, or just simply helping you become a better scientist/engineer so that you can make a bigger impact one day, it’s important. 

21 minutes ago, clinicalpsych20192020 said:

Have results ever been posted before the maintenance period is over?

Yes! I think last year they were posted at like 1:30 AM. So it was on the later side, but still before 2 AM.