NSF GRFP 2018-2019

lambda

22 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

I can't imagine it's beyond Friday because the response deadline for other fellowships (and grad school for the undergrads here) is April 15th and we need to know before then to make a decision.

Woah, I feel like I haven't seen you in two years! Good luck with this cycle!

Doesn't seem like there's any way to know when they'll even put the maintenance update notification up either. Last year it went up around 14 hours before the site maintenance, 2017 it went up 30 hours before the site maintenance, and in 2016 it went up about 15 hours before the site maintenance. 

Just now, jays1519 said:

Has anyone tried contacting NSF lately? Seems that if it’s going to happen this week, they would know about it.

I doubt if they'd tell us. In last year's thread, someone called the day before results went out and got the same "early April" response.

Hey y'all, I was just at a conference with the NSF head of my academic field, and she said that they were implementing a new computer system, so the application processing this year is running almost a month behind. Hope this helps!

15 minutes ago, cullenish said:

I doubt if they'd tell us. In last year's thread, someone called the day before results went out and got the same "early April" response.

I agree. It makes sense that they wouldn’t tell us, simply because something could always go wrong on their end to delay it, and they can’t be held to a date for that reason.

Overall, still on board that it really should/needs to be announced at the latest, Friday, April 12th.

Edited by Transport

3 minutes ago, phyanth said:

Hey y'all, I was just at a conference with the NSF head of my academic field, and she said that they were implementing a new computer system, so the application processing this year is running almost a month behind. Hope this helps!

Phenomenal. Do you think we should we expect a month delay then?

1 hour ago, Epigenetics said:

I can't imagine it's beyond Friday because the response deadline for other fellowships (and grad school for the undergrads here) is April 15th and we need to know before then to make a decision.

I hope it's not beyond Friday. If there was a delay due to the government shutdown they would have made an announcement on the webpage about it like the IRS did with the tax extension forms. Unless the government is super unorganized which could also be the case ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, jays1519 said:

Has anyone tried contacting NSF lately? Seems that if it’s going to happen this week, they would know about it.

I emailed them last night: "Award announcements are traditionally made by early April. If there is a change that warrants notification to the community, it will be provided as soon as possible."

1 hour ago, phyanth said:

i sure hope not, mostly because I'm tired of waiting lol

5 hours ago, cullenish said:

Phenomenal. Do you think we should we expect a month delay then?

She said "about", so I'm sure there's leeway with that. Especially since I'm sure they're conscious of the April 15th deadline and how they factor into those decisions

As much torture as this is, I'm glad they are taking the extra time. I've heard people say that the panels were canceled, and other say they weren't. I hope they weren't and I hope the delay in results means that, despite the shutdown, they are taking the reviewing as seriously as they do every other year. I know this might be coming from a place of already-in-school privilege, and I can't imagine what that added stress must be, but as someone who probably put triple digit hours of work into their application, I'm in a way glad they aren't rushing this.