Odysseus24601

MFA Directing 2019- Let's Connect

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2019 at 7:18 AM, Rlata84 said:

@handfulofdust thank you very much! Glad to hear good things about Ohio. I’m a little skeptical about it only because I am already well one Ted with their network and their partnering theatre as I live just 90 minutes away. Just thinking about whether or not it would allow me the growth I’m seeking. There is something very attractive about moving away to a city and state where I know no one and can truly unlock and engage without distraction —— I am interested to hear more about your attraction to East 15. What makes this program stand out to you? Is there much opportunity for practicum? I’m not finding as many details as I would like. 

From what I've heard, Ohio has a great network to other big cities - particularly NYC/Chicago - and they're intentional about prepping students to move directly to those cities after graduation. That being said, I completely understand wanting to move! That's a big part of the reason I didn't apply for any programs on the West Coast. 

East 15 was a tough nut to crack in terms of information - I applied last year and got an interview (but was subsequently wait-listed), so I was able to glean a lot from that that made me want to apply again this year. I also have a few friends-of-friends who did the program and were able to fill me in on what their experiences were like. Ultimately, what I have been told is that it is a bit mixed - the school definitely doesn't offer the same kind of budget for student shows as the Ivy Leagues do, but I tend to work (and almost prefer to work) in scrappier theaters anyway, so that doesn't bother me much.

The program tends to be more heavily based around physical/devised work, which as mentioned before, is my focus area. It's also almost 100% practicum, which is what I was looking for. My undergrad was much heavier on theory and written work, and of course it's much easier to put physical techniques into practice when you're learning them as you go rather than sitting around. I also like the way it's structured - you only take one (occasionally two) module per quarter, which basically entails 6-8 weeks of very intense study of one subject. I prefer learning by focusing heavily on one or two concepts at a time, then building from there, so this was more exciting for me than programs that involve taking multiple classes for a sustained period of time. 

The only big bummer is that I've heard there aren't many opportunities, if at all, for student teaching. Not my ultimate goal anyway, so not a huge loss, but it is disappointing as I've enjoyed teaching workshops/acting coaching so far. Also, not as much of a network in NYC as, say, Columbia would have access to, but the trade-off is a great network in London, which is what I'm looking for.

Edited by handfulofdust

On 1/3/2019 at 9:27 AM, deirdrenyc said:

Hello everyone! 

It's been so lovely to read everyone's updates on this thread. Just wondering whether anyone knows anything about Columbia's audition weekend-- either from previous years or connections. I'll be at the audition this year and am trying to decide how to best prepare. Hope to see some of yall there! 

Does this mean Columbia has sent out interview requests already?

Ok hivemind - this may seem a frivolous question, but I’m curious to know what you all are wearing to your interviews. I want to look professional and show some self expression, but I don’t want to be too overdressed or underdressed. Thoughts?

6 hours ago, Rlata84 said:

Ok hivemind - this may seem a frivolous question, but I’m curious to know what you all are wearing to your interviews. I want to look professional and show some self expression, but I don’t want to be too overdressed or underdressed. Thoughts?

Yes, yes, a silly question but I have the same one! I'm leaning towards the casual end of the spectrum, personally. That's also my M.O. in my work too, if that makes sense. @Rlata84 when're your interviews?

Just to check: has anyone heard from CMU? 

15 hours ago, 36Biscotti said:

Yes, yes, a silly question but I have the same one! I'm leaning towards the casual end of the spectrum, personally. That's also my M.O. in my work too, if that makes sense. @Rlata84 when're your interviews?

Just to check: has anyone heard from CMU? 

Interviewing in NYC tomorrow for Penn State. Rest of my interviews are at the Chicago URTAs. I’m leaning toward “dressy-casual” nice dark jeans, fun patterned button up shirt and a sport jacket. Good shoes. No tie. 

It is like waiting for the water to boil over here...

Anyone have any updates on New School, Northwestern, or CalArts? Been reading the thread from last year and perhaps they reach out around this time? 

Waiting sucks.

I think last year Northwestern sent them out around 1/30. And when I applied there a couple of years ago it looks like they contacted me early Feb with a phone call. No idea about CallArts or New School.

To shift focus a little bit, does anybody have any ideas on what questions they are asking the school representative at the interviews? I'm asking a few school specific questions about the program and asking if they teach a particular directing pedagogy, but I'm having trouble articulating some of my other thoughts into questions that make sense.