Critical Language Scholarship Summer 2019 Applicants

woshimeiguoren

On 8/25/2018 at 3:08 PM, woshimeiguoren said:

Hello!!!

I know it's too early to apply yet, however is there anyone on here who is thinking of applying for the 2019 summer CLS scholarship?

Which language do you intend to study?  I hope to do Hindi!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey, I'm applying for Russian!

On 10/6/2018 at 10:03 PM, Msf1997 said:

Do the sites for the programs get announced later on too? I will be applying for Japanese.

From what I have read, sites are revealed to finalists, so you won't know anything until you make it and the sites are released in March.

I could be wrong, though, as I haven't applied before.

Hi everyone! I’m an applicant for Intermediate Korean and a freshman CS major. I hope that this year’s CLS thread will become as active as previous years’ and I’m looking forward to stressing out with all of you!

Hi everyone!

This was my first time applying for the scholarship, and I went with beginner's Korean. I found out about the program fairly late in the game but I'm optimistic about results! However they're ways away....

Can't wait to be anxious for the next couple of months with you all :)

Edited by Astro24

While perusing old gradcafe threads, I found a link to the rubric that the readers use to evaluate us... unfortunately, I found it a little too late for it to be helpful, but if anyone wants to see it I can link it! Or you can read the 2017 thread. 

Did anyone here apply for NSLI-Y previously?

Okay so I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but when should we expect to hear back regarding the first round decisions. I saw January on one page and then later saw February written (I believe after submitting). Any ideas?

Also, is anyone applying for additional programs outside of CLS? I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about Arabic language programs (preferably abroad) that are decently priced or provide some financial support. I applied for CLS last year and did not receive the award so I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I just know I need to be intensively studying Arabic for my future career goals, whether or not that means studying through CLS or another program.

15 hours ago, APasq said:

Okay so I know I am getting way ahead of myself, but when should we expect to hear back regarding the first round decisions. I saw January on one page and then later saw February written (I believe after submitting). Any ideas?

Also, is anyone applying for additional programs outside of CLS? I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about Arabic language programs (preferably abroad) that are decently priced or provide some financial support. I applied for CLS last year and did not receive the award so I am planning for the worst and hoping for the best. I just know I need to be intensively studying Arabic for my future career goals, whether or not that means studying through CLS or another program.

You get notified if you're a semifinalist (I think thats about 500ish applicants) in mid to late January. You get the notification if you made it or are an alternate in late February. Dates are iffy though - some years notifications are sent out earlier/later depending.

And this is the only application I have this year because I'm graduating but you can look at other opportunities american councils has (look at the Boren scholarship particularly), talk to your schools study abroad department, etc. There's definitely other opportunities but they probably will come with a higher cost.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:05 PM, dnpsel said:

You get notified if you're a semi-finalist (I think thats about 500ish applicants)

Actually from what I have found from past threads and the facebook group and some CLS stuff, 20-25% of applicants get accepted as semi-finalists. So about 1000 to 1200! Odds are a bit more in favor xD

500 I think is the number for finalists which is ~10%

I made an account for this! But I applied for Intermediate Korean, and am a freshman at a fashion school. 

I am a NSLI-Y alumni for Korean so hoping for the best!

Edited by shakuton

On 12/1/2018 at 3:05 PM, dnpsel said:

You get notified if you're a semifinalist (I think thats about 500ish applicants) in mid to late January. You get the notification if you made it or are an alternate in late February. Dates are iffy though - some years notifications are sent out earlier/later depending.

And this is the only application I have this year because I'm graduating but you can look at other opportunities american councils has (look at the Boren scholarship particularly), talk to your schools study abroad department, etc. There's definitely other opportunities but they probably will come with a higher cost.

Thank you for this information! Yeah I am a current graduate student (I probably should have mentioned that before) in my final year so there are significantly less opportunities related to language study outside of CLS for graduate students. Also, Boren I believe requires some type of commitment to a year or two of service after, which isn't really related to my intended career goals. My school also does not provide FLAS funding so up until now I have been relying on departmental funding and scholarship awards to fund summer language study. Since I graduate this spring I don't have that same opportunity. 

35 minutes ago, APasq said:

Thank you for this information! Yeah I am a current graduate student (I probably should have mentioned that before) in my final year so there are significantly less opportunities related to language study outside of CLS for graduate students. Also, Boren I believe requires some type of commitment to a year or two of service after, which isn't really related to my intended career goals. My school also does not provide FLAS funding so up until now I have been relying on departmental funding and scholarship awards to fund summer language study. Since I graduate this spring I don't have that same opportunity. 

I know the struggle - you can always try one of the working abroad programs for a summer too (on farms or as a maid, home assistant, etc). It wouldn't offer the same level of language commitment but you could always make the best of it. Again, I'm not familiar with that particular part of the world but I'm sure there's something out there. You might just have to take a bit of a break between grad school/post-doc or career. I'm kind of having the same problem if CLS doesn't work out so I know it's a little....stressful to try and get deadlines to align. ? 

3 hours ago, shakuton said:

I made an account for this! But I applied for Intermediate Korean, and am a freshman at a fashion school. 

I am a NSLI-Y alumni for Korean so hoping for the best!

so many intermediate Korean applicants here ? good luck to us all

13 hours ago, dnpsel said:

know the struggle - you can always try one of the working abroad programs for a summer too (on farms or as a maid, home assistant, etc). It wouldn't offer the same level of language commitment but you could always make the best of it. Again, I'm not familiar with that particular part of the world but I'm sure there's something out there. You might just have to take a bit of a break between grad school/post-doc or career. I'm kind of having the same problem if CLS doesn't work out so I know it's a little....stressful to try and get deadlines to align. ?

Yeah it stinks. I know there are some other programs abroad but they require a lot of money. Hopefully it works out for all of us!

Korean's getting quite popular! I know the high school version of CLS, NSLIY, had to increase the number of spots offered for Korean summer and year programs because of the sudden demand. Wonder if CLS will end up doing the same, considering the past couple of years beginners go to Busan and everyone else Gwangju....

Edited by shakuton

https://eca.state.gov/files/bureau/fy_19_cls_pogi.pdf

Found this link a couple weeks ago if anybody is interested. Pages 2-4 give you an idea of the number of spots for each language they are looking to have. Looks like Mandarin has the most spots! Followed by Russian and then Korean!

I found the document pretty informative.

Edited by Relly