PhD Applications Fall 2019 Season

MonkeyMagic

5 minutes ago, DavidMM said:

I have a friend who was interviewed and accepted to BU religion already. I think that if you haven’t heard for the interview, the ship is probably sailed. BU School of theology might be different, I’m not sure.

It is a separate committee altogether, but still a good reference point

12 hours ago, Skyscrapers said:

Likewise: anyone interviewed or contacted for Boston University (PhD's)? I know they conduct interviews, so trying to determine if that ship has sailed. 

I’m 95% sure that all department of religion acceptances have already gone out. (I’m a grad student in the department.) 

Hi folks,
I have been lurking this forum for a long time and I decided to go ahead and sign up to share what I know as of now. So far I was accepted to Harvard (CSR) and the University of Chicago Divinity School in a non-theological subfield (did an interview with the committee two weeks ago).  

And I also got an informal email from my POI in Princeton University (not PTS) last Monday and s/he informed me that I was accepted. They will send out a decision sometime next week according to the message I got. And @oh no,  I’m the Princeton-poster on the result page who had an interview early January. Actually, there were two. And if I recall correctly, Princeton University invites all (potential) finalists to the interview process and all the invitations were sent out on January 8 or 9 (my colleagues in other subfields also received their interview-invitations from Princeton on either 8 or 9). I don’t think they do a rolling-basis, or they barely do. If you check the result page, the process is generally similar;  Skype Interview in Jan, emails from professors in the 3rd week of February and official acceptance in three days. 

I cannot specify my subfield because of my personal reasons. So bear with me. 

Like many folks in this forum, it was my second cycle, after getting rejected from all six schools I'd applied to. I’ve been there and I know this waiting game can be really tough and cruel. My heart is with you. Don’t be discouraged if something is not in your favor today. Better opportunities are always waiting ahead.

Pieces of advice will be.
1) Keep your head above water- it's just 'fit' and 'timing.' 
2) Don’t stop. It's fine to apply for a program multiple times. I was accepted to my "dream program” - U of Chicago- after applying three times.

Would you be interested in hearing my little experiences with Ph.D. applications- about what I did last year after getting rejected from all the schools I’d applied to?

6 minutes ago, J.Z.Smith said:

Would you be interested in hearing my little experiences with Ph.D. applications- about what I did last year after getting rejected from all the schools I’d applied to?

I just got rejected from Chicago which was my top choice so I would actually really appreciate hearing about your experience in more details, if you're willing to share privately.

1 hour ago, Pierre de Olivi said:

I for one have not. Do you know if they interviewed? If so I should probably assume I was rejected...

No!!! But I did speak with the admissions office yesterday and looks like the faculty have finalised their decision, which is soon forthcoming.

Also, may I know which track under Religious Studies did you apply to? And who is your POI?

Edited by Soufie_S

22 minutes ago, J.Z.Smith said:
Hi folks,
I have been lurking this forum for a long time and I decided to go ahead and sign up to share what I know as of now. So far I was accepted to Harvard (CSR) and the University of Chicago Divinity School in a non-theological subfield (did an interview with the committee two weeks ago).  

And I also got an informal email from my POI in Princeton University (not PTS) last Monday and s/he informed me that I was accepted. They will send out a decision sometime next week according to the message I got. And @oh no,  I’m the Princeton-poster on the result page who had an interview early January. Actually, there were two. And if I recall correctly, Princeton University invites all (potential) finalists to the interview process and all the invitations were sent out on January 8 or 9 (my colleagues in other subfields also received their interview-invitations from Princeton on either 8 or 9). I don’t think they do a rolling-basis, or they barely do. If you check the result page, the process is generally similar;  Skype Interview in Jan, emails from professors in the 3rd week of February and official acceptance in three days. 

Like many folks in this forum, it was my second cycle, after getting rejected from all six schools I'd applied to. I’ve been there and I know this waiting game can be really tough and cruel. My heart is with you. Don’t be discouraged if something is not in your favor today. Better opportunities are always waiting ahead.

2) Don’t stop. It's fine to apply for a program multiple times. I was accepted to my "dream program” - U of Chicago- after applying three times.

Many cheers!!!

30 minutes ago, J.Z.Smith said:
Hi folks,

Big congratulations on Princeton, Harvard, and Chicago! Those are all fantastic and highly selective programs! And thank you for the advice -- this is my first cycle, and even though I've already gotten into a fantastic program, I can definitely feel the pressure.

I for one would be interested in hearing more about your experiences, but no pressure!

3 hours ago, Soufie_S said:

Hi. 

Has anyone heard back from the Religious Studies program at Brown?

I just got an acceptance this morning, actually—email from the DGS, details to follow. Not sure if they send all acceptances in one batch or not.

1 hour ago, J.Z.Smith said:
 And I also got an informal email from my POI in Princeton University (not PTS) last Monday and s/he informed me that I was accepted. They will send out a decision sometime next week according to the message I got.

Congratulations! I also had an interview with Princeton in early Jan. Do you know if all POIs inform admits before formal admission? I imagine timing, at least, may vary by subfield; as it's Friday, though, I imagine most subfields would have notified by now if results are to go out next week... Oh well!

20 hours ago, TUKUL.TI.A.É.ŠÁR.RA said:

Does anyone have insight concerning whether or not UNC, Michigan, or NYU perform interviews?

When I was first researching which programs I would be applying to I spoke to a professor at UNC. He told me that they don't interview as part of their selection process. 

Also wanted to give folks a heads up that it looks like Syracuse has their decisions for the PhD program. Good luck to everyone that applied. 

Congrats on the acceptances to Fordham, Emory, Chicago, Harvard, and Brown, everyone! I’m happy for y’all! 

I probably should have joined the forum earlier in the season to ask this question, but what do folks think about the religion department at FSU. I and a few close colleagues and faculty advisors have our opinions, but I would be curious to solicit the opinions of others here as I factor them into my final decision.

Edited by TUKUL.TI.A.É.ŠÁR.RA

Looks like I got rejected from UC Santa Barbara, for there is an acceptance for the Ph.D program on the result page and I haven't heard anything back from them. This is really heartbreaking, as I thought I was a good fit. 3 more schools to go...

23 hours ago, FrigidSky701 said:

Congrats on acceptances! Did they send personal email to you saying that you were accepted? I am now in deeper sadness

I got a personal acceptance email, which said that I will be getting a formal acceptance letter in about two weeks. My "feeling" from reading that email is that the department may send out more acceptances, so I think there may be still some more chances

1 hour ago, oh no said:

I got a personal acceptance email, which said that I will be getting a formal acceptance letter in about two weeks. My "feeling" from reading that email is that the department may send out more acceptances, so I think there may be still some more chances

Thank you for the answer. I hope I really do get in, as it is one of my top choices. Now time to wait in agony for the next two weeks.

15 hours ago, TUKUL.TI.A.É.ŠÁR.RA said:

Congrats on the acceptances to Fordham, Emory, Chicago, Harvard, and Brown, everyone! I’m happy for y’all! 

I probably should have joined the forum earlier in the season to ask this question, but what do folks think about the religion department at FSU. I and a few close colleagues and faculty advisors have our opinions, but I would be curious to solicit the opinions of others here as I factor them into my final decision.

I presented at their student religious symposium and found their graduate students to be as (or more) capable than many of the students I've met at Ivy League schools. They understand that the name value for their program won't get them where they want to go, so they bust ass and work hard. Goff is apparently an amazing advisor and is an equally great scholar. If you don't want to do Hellenistic Judaism or DSS, I personally wouldn't go. I applied and was accepted, but they knew my focus is on much earlier stuff. They said it might be better to go elsewhere; I ended up working on a second M* degree and am happy with my current institution. I have nothing but positive things to say about the students and faculty in that program.

2 hours ago, Fontanabush said:

Anyone heard anything on Union Theo in nyc? Other than what the past results boards say.

I graduated with my MA from there last spring. They tend to send out responses between now(ish) and the end of February. One colleague of mine, who is currently studying in their department, didn’t receive their acceptance until Feb 26th, which was a Saturday, I believe.

On 2/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, KA.DINGER.RA said:

I presented at their student religious symposium and found their graduate students to be as (or more) capable than many of the students I've met at Ivy League schools. They understand that the name value for their program won't get them where they want to go, so they bust ass and work hard. Goff is apparently an amazing advisor and is an equally great scholar. If you don't want to do Hellenistic Judaism or DSS, I personally wouldn't go. I applied and was accepted, but they knew my focus is on much earlier stuff. They said it might be better to go elsewhere; I ended up working on a second M* degree and am happy with my current institution. I have nothing but positive things to say about the students and faculty in that program.

Hey KA.DINGER.RA, i know you often have the inside scoop on Notre Dame.  Do you know when they plan to begin reviewing (and notifying applicants) for the MTS pool?