PhD Applications Fall 2019 Season

MonkeyMagic

19 hours ago, cr615 said:

Man. I'm looking through the 2018 PhD admissions cycle thread for religion and it seems like at this time this year there was a lot more activity both in terms of posting and interviews. Maybe that is a sign that it was a down year for applications? Pure speculation.

I hope it's a down year. The "market" for PhD in religion apps is long overdue for course correction - far too much supply for too little demand.

58 minutes ago, balaamsdonkey said:

I hope it's a down year. The "market" for PhD in religion apps is long overdue for course correction - far too much supply for too little demand.

Since the economy is bouncing back, it actually makes sense that it would be down year.  Historically, when the economy is doing well and high-earnings jobs are available, fewer people opt to go the route of advanced graduate studies.  

4 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

Since the economy is bouncing back, it actually makes sense that it would be down year.  Historically, when the economy is doing well and high-earnings jobs are available, fewer people opt to go the route of advanced graduate studies.  

Interesting...that'd be nice! Although doesn't it seem that the reverse is true? In a booming economy, wouldn't there be less pressure for individuals to pursue more lucrative careers (or STEM programs) and more liberty to pursue jobs in the humanities?

3 hours ago, CartesianDemon said:

Interesting...that'd be nice! Although doesn't it seem that the reverse is true? In a booming economy, wouldn't there be less pressure for individuals to pursue more lucrative careers (or STEM programs) and more liberty to pursue jobs in the humanities?

No. When the economy is strong and high paying jobs are relatively bountiful, people pursue them. When the economy is poor people return to the school for one of three primary reasons: 1) retraining to better position themselves in the economy, 2) essentially a gap year while they wait on the economy to improve, or 3) an opportunity to pursue passions that they neglected for the sake of their bank account.

Even in a great economy aspiring professors are fully aware that professor salaries in the humanities suck and the hours are long and often erratic.

5 minutes ago, xypathos said:

No. When the economy is strong and high paying jobs are relatively bountiful, people pursue them. When the economy is poor people return to the school for one of three primary reasons: 1) retraining to better position themselves in the economy, 2) essentially a gap year while they wait on the economy to improve, or 3) an opportunity to pursue passions that they neglected for the sake of their bank account.

Even in a great economy aspiring professors are fully aware that professor salaries in the humanities suck and the hours are long and often erratic.

Hey... no complaints here!

Edited by CartesianDemon

Yes, please! Distractions and commiserations are super welcome right now.

I'm applying to programs in Early Christianity: Brown, UChicago, Notre Dame, Princeton, Stanford, and Yale. So far, I've had an interview with Princeton and have been accepted to Stanford (yay!!). Haven't heard anything from anywhere else, though.

Others??

20 minutes ago, hannibal254 said:

Yes, please! Distractions and commiserations are super welcome right now.

I'm applying to programs in Early Christianity: Brown, UChicago, Notre Dame, Princeton, Stanford, and Yale. So far, I've had an interview with Princeton and have been accepted to Stanford (yay!!). Haven't heard anything from anywhere else, though.

Others??

Congratulations for being accepted to Stanford! BTW, Princeton you mentioned, is it seminary or university? 

5 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

To which programs are y'all applying?  Let's get this thread cracking, as its like 10 days to zero hour for many programs, no?

I applying for American Religion I applied to Religious Studies programs at UC Santa Barbara, Northwestern, and Iowa. I also applied to Mexican American Studies at UT Austin and Ethnic Studies at UC Berkeley. My research topic of interest remains the same, just different avenues to get at it.

17 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

Good luck.  Have you ever applied to that department in prior years? I wonder how many applicants they will have this year.

There are fewer internal applicants across the board, but significantly more internal applicants in History of Christianity from what I've heard.

19 minutes ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

There are fewer internal applicants across the board, but significantly more internal applicants in History of Christianity from what I've heard.

Mmmmhhhh. This would seem to be another bit of evidence suggesting that there were/are fewer applicants to religious studies/theology programs this year. 

2 hours ago, cr615 said:

Mmmmhhhh. This would seem to be another bit of evidence suggesting that there were/are fewer applicants to religious studies/theology programs this year. 

Possibly. But that's only internal applicants. I have no idea how many outside applicants are applying. Word on the street is that they're meeting this afternoon to discuss applicants.

23 minutes ago, KA.DINGER.RA said:

Possibly. But that's only internal applicants. I have no idea how many outside applicants are applying. Word on the street is that they're meeting this afternoon to discuss applicants.

I was under the impression that (at ND) professors from each track of study meet and make their picks independently of the other tracks. Is this the case, or do all of the professors, regardless of track, get together to discuss? 

46 minutes ago, Geistsubjekt said:

I was under the impression that (at ND) professors from each track of study meet and make their picks independently of the other tracks. Is this the case, or do all of the professors, regardless of track, get together to discuss? 

From what faculty told me when I visited, this was my impression as well.  

How is the liturgical studies application pool this year?  I imagine it's really competitive, since only a few schools offer an emphasis in liturgical.

hi, everyone! joining this thread to ease my anxiety as I wait! 

this is my first time applying to Ph.D. programs, and I fear that I am terribly underqualified! I applied to only Northwestern (American Religions), Princeton (Religion in the Americas), Temple, and Drew (Religion and Society). My primary focus is on Catholicism and abortion in the U.S. I came to the Ph.D. with a background in journalism and activism, having recently completed a book for a large Catholic nonprofit, but I lack a MDiv, Master's in Religion, etc. which makes me feel very underqualified! (I do have an MFA in Writing and currently, teach composition at a four-year university). 

I had an interview with Temple this weekend, and have been invited to sit in on a seminar by their department chair. 

Does anyone know if Princeton continues interviewing later in the cycle? And does Northwestern generally do interviews, too?

5 hours ago, Geistsubjekt said:

That's very likely. It may just have been faculty from my area meeting today. Or others met and I didn't know about it.