PhD Applications Fall 2019 Season

MonkeyMagic

4 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

Seriously--congratulations.  Does Baylor interview?  Did you have any hunch/inclination that you were going to get in?  I can only imagine what it feels like to open a letter of acceptance.  Has to be cathartic and surreal. 

Thanks, all. Yes, the interview was on Jan 31, so about 2 weeks ago. I suspected I had a shot given my fit with the department, but other than that I didn't have any indications. 

1 hour ago, CartesianDemon said:

Thanks, all. Yes, the interview was on Jan 31, so about 2 weeks ago. I suspected I had a shot given my fit with the department, but other than that I didn't have any indications. 

Congrats! But by the way, wasn’t Baylor’s interview on 2/8-9? I know this because I was invited to Baylor’s interview but could not go because it conflicted with Emory’s interview. Also, were you at Emory’s interview?

Edited by Moon River

4 minutes ago, Moon River said:

Congrats! But by the way, wasn’t Baylor’s interview on 2/8-9? I know this because I was invited to Baylor’s interview but could not go because it conflicted with Emory’s interview. Also, were you at Emory’s interview?

I wasn't at either event, unfortunately. But I interviewed at both via skype.

On 2/10/2019 at 2:40 AM, cr615 said:

I also applied to UCSB! I haven’t heard anything. However, by looking st results from previous years, it seems as if they don’t send out decision until March. Have you heard anything? 

So I sent email asking for specific decision date, and the director said that the adcom is still working on the apps and thus can't give set timeline for decision to be out. So I am guessing that the wait game is still here. I received the answer within 10 hours as I sent it like at 2AM PST (because I live in another country). Not a bad sign, as I was expecting something like "Oh we saw your app and you were instantly rejected'

So far waitlisted with no interview at Baylor(notified 2/4) and waitlisted after interview at Marquette (1/30)

Rejected by Duke Divinity (2/8).

Interview at Wheaton next Monday. 

No interview invitation by Duke, Notre Dame, Emory, PTS, so I am assuming rejections. 

Still waiting on Fuller. 

Edited by Simbbo

By the way, just in case y'all needed another shot of adrenaline-fueled anxiety, I talked to the religion department at Rice University, and they told me that this year, they had an exceptionally large pool of applicants.  So my prognostication that it would be a less competitive year can be filed under "things that have not aged well," right next to Dolly Parton, baseball, and my Chevrolet.  

I sent the grim news of getting rejected to three schools to my adviser at my alma mater, and she told me that she thinks because of how few jobs there are in academia these days, perhaps graduate programs are limiting, even more, the number of students they admit. Maybe this is the case, and so the competition is more fierce. I now to accept the fact that I may need to go through another cycle and that I need more preparation.

Just now, FrigidSky701 said:

I sent the grim news of getting rejected to three schools to my adviser at my alma mater, and she told me that she thinks because of how few jobs there are in academia these days, perhaps graduate programs are limiting, even more, the number of students they admit. Maybe this is the case, and so the competition is more fierce. I now to accept the fact that I may need to go through another cycle and that I need more preparation.

I forget if you've already mentioned--did you apply to any M* programs this cycle?

33 minutes ago, rejectedndejected said:

I forget if you've already mentioned--did you apply to any M* programs this cycle?

I applied for only PhD programs since I am already doing MA in my home country. For next cycle, I am considering redoing M* programs as well.

Hello all,

I have been lurking this forum for a while, but now my patience reached its limit and I am dying to know what is happening with Princeton. Does anyone know? I saw that one applicant had an interview early January, but I also know what Princeton is on a rolling-basis. I haven't received any interview invitation or anything from them yet. Should I just consider myself out?

I got an acceptance email from UCSB in case anyone is wondering what is happening with UCSB. They said that they accepted me out of their first-round review, so I guess they could be releasing more acceptances later.

Currently, I have Indiana & UCSB acceptance, and I am waiting for Princeton (I didn't apply anywhere else). If I know a bit more about what is going on in Princeton, then I could move onto the decision process of where I should accept.

I applied for Buddhist studies with a MA in Buddhist studies. My grades are really average and plain.

2 hours ago, oh no said:

Hello all,

I have been lurking this forum for a while, but now my patience reached its limit and I am dying to know what is happening with Princeton. Does anyone know? I saw that one applicant had an interview early January, but I also know what Princeton is on a rolling-basis. I haven't received any interview invitation or anything from them yet. Should I just consider myself out?

I got an acceptance email from UCSB in case anyone is wondering what is happening with UCSB. They said that they accepted me out of their first-round review, so I guess they could be releasing more acceptances later.

Currently, I have Indiana & UCSB acceptance, and I am waiting for Princeton (I didn't apply anywhere else). If I know a bit more about what is going on in Princeton, then I could move onto the decision process of where I should accept.

I applied for Buddhist studies with a MA in Buddhist studies. My grades are really average and plain.

Congrats on acceptances! Did they send personal email to you saying that you were accepted? I am now in deeper sadness

12 hours ago, Skyscrapers said:

Likewise: anyone interviewed or contacted for Boston University (PhD's)? I know they conduct interviews, so trying to determine if that ship has sailed. 

I have a friend who was interviewed and accepted to BU religion already. I think that if you haven’t heard for the interview, the ship is probably sailed. BU School of theology might be different, I’m not sure.