Jump to content

PhD Applications Fall 2019 Season


Recommended Posts

On 1/22/2019 at 12:23 PM, cr615 said:

Good info. So, if I am reading your post correctly, if you have not received an invitation for a skype interview from Northwestern at this point, you can assume you did not make the cut?

Tbh, I don't know if you can assume that. The current DGS is relatively new (in her second year), which means some changes could have been made to the admissions process. The grad committee isn't transparent with current students about that process unless asked (understandable since it's not really info that affects us directly.) I know that four students will be extended offers this year. That's up from last year when only one student was extended an offer. Four is about normal for us. The admissions committee has never made decisions by subfield--it's always a general pool, and they look at how well potential students fit together in an incoming cohort.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just found out that I was accepted to Georgetown's Theological and Religious Studies program! This is my third attempt at Georgetown and my seventh (yes, you read that correctly) application cycle.

To those who haven’t heard back, here’s a word of (hopefully) comforting advice. To start with an annoyingly cliché but true suggestion: try your best not to take rejection too personally or as an ins

I was notified of acceptance off the NT waitlist at Baylor today!

34 minutes ago, EarlyXianity said:

Are all the people who have heard so far internal applicants? 

If memory serves from last year (and it may not or things may have changed–just look at how many schools were responding by snail mail a few years ago), the reporting process for internal and external candidates is different. I think that internal candidates get an email more directly and external candidates are processed through a system at the graduate school that takes more time.

Again, I may very well be wrong.

What's certain is that not having an invitation this morning doesn't mean that one will not come.  

Per the first question, no. I know a couple of internal and a couple of external candidates who have received invites. 

Honestly, I think a lot of it depends on which professor is sending the emails. Some people were getting emails at like midnight last year. No one should stress or anything if they haven't gotten a letter yet. It takes the course of a day to get most of the out. No one freak out yet! :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, EarlyXianity said:

Are all the people who have heard so far internal applicants? 

If memory serves from last year (and it may not or things may have changed–just look at how many schools were responding by snail mail a few years ago), the reporting process for internal and external candidates is different. I think that internal candidates get an email more directly and external candidates are processed through a system at the graduate school that takes more time.

Again, I may very well be wrong.

What's certain is that not having an invitation this morning doesn't mean that one will not come.  

Well, the results survey now reports that one person has received an invitation to interview weekend on February 24-22.  Last year, the earliest results I saw were on January 28.  And all of the results seemed to come out at once.

This is nerve-racking, to say the least.  But I'm starting to get edgy, since I am yet to receive an invitation.

Of course the person who posted that they received an interview DID NOT specify the program to which they were applying or their GPA/GRE.  Why even bother to post at that point?

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rejectedndejected said:

Of course the person who posted that they received an interview DID NOT specify the program to which they were applying or their GPA/GRE.  Why even bother to post at that point?

1

Unless we are looking at different results, the interview that was posted today specifies WRWC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw that there was an invitation for an interview for a person with an O status for the Duke Divinity ThD program. Anyone know if Duke has sent out interview invitations to all their preferred candidates already or if they're still deliberating? And what kind of student would "Other" mean in the results board?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey y'all.  Quick question: I just found out that I was one of a few students selected from my school to present a grad school paper in front of the other students at an annual meeting.   It's considered an honor to do so.  Is it too late to update my prospective PhD programs about this development?  If not, how does one go about doing it in a classy, non-braggadocious way?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rejectedndejected said:

Hey y'all.  Quick question: I just found out that I was one of a few students selected from my school to present a grad school paper in front of the other students at an annual meeting.   It's considered an honor to do so.  Is it too late to update my prospective PhD programs about this development?  If not, how does one go about doing it in a classy, non-braggadocious way?

You were selected to present to your fellow students at the same school? I, personally, wouldn't bother with it. At this point in the application process initial, and likely final, decisions have already been made and you're likely to be seen as grasping at straws.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xypathos said:

You were selected to present to your fellow students at the same school? I, personally, wouldn't bother with it. At this point in the application process initial, and likely final, decisions have already been made and you're likely to be seen as grasping at straws.

It doesn't sound nearly as cool when you put it like that.  But yea, duly noted.  I'd wager your analysis is correct.  At this point, it'd probably look pretty desperate.  However, what about for "safeties" like HDS's MTS program, which doesn't decide till like mid-March?  Should I update my resume to include this for them?  Or still too small of potatoes to bother?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, theologynerd said:

I just saw that there was an invitation for an interview for a person with an O status for the Duke Divinity ThD program. Anyone know if Duke has sent out interview invitations to all their preferred candidates already or if they're still deliberating? And what kind of student would "Other" mean in the results board?

It seems a little bit early, at least compared to past years, to have already gotten an interview invite. That makes me think (hope) that all of the invites have not been sent. At least that's my highly deductive and unassailable logic. 

Idk what "O" would be...

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, foreverinschool said:

I've heard that people have been invited to interview with Emory, Baylor, Vanderbilt, ND, and Duke ThD

I can confirm some of these. I've (very thankfully) received invites to Emory, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Duke ThD, and UT Austin. I also know of people who have received invitations from PTS and Yale. I cannot say, however, that every school has sent out *all* their invitations. Best of luck to everyone!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CartesianDemon said:
2 hours ago, foreverinschool said:

I've heard that people have been invited to interview with Emory, Baylor, Vanderbilt, ND, and Duke ThD

I can confirm some of these. I've (very thankfully) received invites to Emory, Baylor, Vanderbilt, Duke ThD, and UT Austin. I also know of people who have received invitations from PTS and Yale. I cannot say, however, that every school has sent out *all* their invitations. Best of luck to everyone!

 

Hey, I'm an insider of Yale. I highly doubt that Yale has sent out invitations. You said you 'know of people who have received invitations from Yale,' Can you specify their sub-field or how do you know them (applicant(s))? I'm asking this because I had a dinner with my adviser few hours ago and S/he (of course S/he is the faculty at Yale's religious studies dept.) said that my dept. hasn't officially sent out invitations yet. There is a chance that some of our faculty sent their invitations to their tops choices personally, but I wish you can clarify the subfield to prevent any confusion.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Esei_John said:

 

Hey, I'm an insider of Yale. I highly doubt that Yale has sent out invitations. You said you 'know of people who have received invitations from Yale,' Can you specify their sub-field or how do you know them (applicant(s))? I'm asking this because I had a dinner with my adviser few hours ago and S/he (of course S/he is the faculty at Yale's religious studies dept.) said that my dept. hasn't officially sent out invitations yet. There is a chance that some of our faculty sent their invitations to their tops choices personally, but I wish you can clarify the subfield to prevent any confusion.

  

Sure. I heard from a close friend of mine that he received an interview invite from the Ancient Christianity subfield. He got the invite last Thursday, according to what he told me. I wouldn't be surprised if some but not all invites have gone out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.