Chemistry Fall 2019 cycle

AntiSpinel

Now that most US grad schools have started accepting applications... 

Here is an old copy & paste profile format to make things a bit easier.

Undergrad Institution: (School or type of school, such as big state, lib arts, ivy, technical, foreign (what country?))
Major(s):
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 
Position in Class: 
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 
V: 
W: 
S: 

Research Experience: 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

School - Department - Research Interest

• 2 months later...

As there hasn't been much movement in the ferns, I'll start off the admissions topic. I've supplied the template below.

Undergrad Institution: (School or type of school, such as big state, lib arts, ivy, technical, foreign (what country?))
Major(s):
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 
Position in Class: 
Type of Student: (Domestic/International, male/female, minority?)

Q: 
V: 
W: 
S: 

Research Experience: 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: (Such as tutor, TA, etc...)

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where:

Undergrad Institution: Large SEC state school
Major(s): Chemistry w/ ACS cert.
Minor(s): None
GPA in Major: 3.86/4.3
Overall GPA: 3.89/4.3
Position in Class: 
Type of Student: Domestic male

Q: 159 (72%)
V: 160 (86%)
W: 4.5 (82%)
S: 

Research Experience: Summer "chemist intern" at Olin Corporation, ran the alphabet soup of instruments and did research on heterogenous catalysis; individual research project on liquid crystals under the direction of my faculty adviser

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Scholarship for student studying chemistry or math with 3.0+ nominated by College of Science, scholarship for in state student with 3.5+, member of Phi Kappa Phi honor society

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Music Director at my campus's radio station

Special Bonus Points: 

Applying to Where: Colorado State, CU Boulder, UCLA, USC, UC Santa Barbara, Georgia Tech, Brown, UT Austin, UNC

• 2 weeks later...

I planned on applying to 6 originally but decided to apply to 2 more safety school just in case. Luckily 2 schools offered fee waivers (GaTech and Vanderbilt), but still, this whole applying process is financially straining af. Also, I need to stop myself from checking the results site and my mailbox every 2 hours... I mean the Dec 15th deadline is not even passed yet.

Undergrad Institution: Medium-sized Flagship State School
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.67
Overall GPA: 3.81

Position in Class: School doesn't release this as far as I'm aware
Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 158 (68%)
V: 161 (88%)
W: 4.0 (59%)
S: 790 (78%)

Research Experience: Have been with the same research advisor since the end of my freshman year working with SWNT surfactant systems and characterizing them with various forms of spectroscopy. Also worked with organic synthesis for a good amount of this time

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Received an institutional grant for summer research during 2017, deans list for 5 semesters.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Intro to molecular bio tutor since my sophomore year, paid "supplemental instructor" for gen chem 1 & 2 since the same time.

Special Bonus Points: 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I'm expecting a glowing letter of rec for the professor I tutor for, as we have a pretty good relationship. Advisor's is good but not great because I never really needed advising and therefore never really developed a relationship with him, and my PI had me write my own letter of rec before sitting down and editing it with me to his liking, so I know it's filled with pretty high praise

Applying to Where: All schools are for materials science unless noted otherwise
Colorado Boulder (by far my number 1 before visits, for research and location)

Princeton

Yale

Cornell - Physical Chemistry

Johns Hopkins 

Boston College

RPI

Edited by azr9971

11 hours ago, LOST!!! said:

Anyone apply for Notre Dame Chemistry program? It seems like they sent out some acceptance already

Notre Dame is on my list but their deadline is not until Jan-15 so I haven't put mine in yet.

I heard so too but one of them put their application in super early, (like August?) so maybe the adcom will just look at the rest of the application in batches later.

Applied to 7, focusing on analytical chemistry. International student enrolling in a master program in the US now. I had some positive contacts with the professors in the schools I applied, but after I told them I submitted the applications I haven't got any reply. Very worried...always checking email.

9 minutes ago, SCRY30 said:

Applied to 7, focusing on analytical chemistry. International student enrolling in a master program in the US now. I had some positive contacts with the professors in the schools I applied, but after I told them I submitted the applications I haven't got any reply. Very worried...always checking email.

I think they are just very busy during these times! hope it work out well

1 hour ago, Pillarsofcreation said:

Has anyone applied to Princeton or UW-Madison? My status is only just like "submitted". Is that yours? I was wondering if they have started reviewing or not.

Princeton is also just "submitted" for me. Now I'm worried I got rejected ?