Chemistry Fall 2019 cycle

AntiSpinel

1 hour ago, Pillarsofcreation said:

Has anyone applied to Princeton or UW-Madison? My status is only just like "submitted". Is that yours? I was wondering if they have started reviewing or not.

I applied to UW-Madison, mine is also "received and will be reviewed by your program". The staff told me that their committee won't start reviewing until late December, but I don't understand if it is like this, why do they say they use a rolling review rule?

35 minutes ago, SCRY30 said:

I applied to UW-Madison, mine is also "received and will be reviewed by your program". The staff told me that their committee won't start reviewing until late December, but I don't understand if it is like this, why do they say they use a rolling review rule?

Yeah, mine is the same and I didn't understand this too. Results of the previous years were all on a rolling basis. 

4 hours ago, chemthrowaway said:

Still waiting on Berkeley, Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Caltech, and Scripps!

I've applied to similar grad schools as yours, give or take a few! However, I am applying for physical/inorganic materials.

From what I recall, these schools do not make decisions until late this month and most of them stream in Jan so the wait ensues... All the best for you at Scripps, hopefully you get the call for the interview weekend soon!  

Hey everyone! Anybody applied to Yale here?

Got offers from Penn State and Illinois already. Waiting on Yale as of now. [Physical Inorganic/Bioinorganic]

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts
Major(s): Chemistry, Biochemistry concentration 
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 
Overall GPA: 3.71
Position in Class: 
Type of Student: Domestic, white, female
GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 158
W: 4.0
S: none

Research Experience: Two years at undergraduate, first author publication, two poster presentations (one at ACS national meeting), summer research at the Cleveland Clinic

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Undergraduatechemistry scholarship, first author publication

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: ACS student affiliates president, tutor for two years, TA for two years

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Very good relationships with letter writers, very involved in undergraduate

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:
University of Notre Dame - Chemistry (accepted)

Johns Hopkins University - PMB (invited to visit)

University of Michigan Ann Arbor, Ohio State, Maryland college park, Wisconsin Madison (IPiB), Pittsburgh, UMass, Case Western Reserve (BSTP)

Edited by ChemApplicant44

26 minutes ago, plzletmeintoyourlab said:

Is it safe to assume that UCLA and Washington have finished sending out acceptances? Idk how this works.

Well...I hope not...it is really early if they already send out all of the offers...but I'm very worried

Undergrad Institution: Big state school - Houston - guess which :)
Major(s): Chemistry and Physics
Minor(s): Math
GPA in Major: 3.6 in both
Overall GPA: 3.6
Position in Class: N/A (school doesn't calculate that so who knows. Got invited to Golden Key on campus so probably above 15%?)
Type of Student: International/female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:  163
V: 157
W: 4.0
S: N/A

Research Experience: 1.5 years in organic with PI from Pharmacy, paper in waiting (2nd author), 1 research poster. An REU in theoretical biological physics at Rice, 2 poster sessions (1st author). 2 oral presentations - regional conferences. Half a semester at Rice doing simulations.

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: (Within your school or outside?) Within school: research scholarship + research travel grant. Outside: stipend to participate in REU.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 2 years of tutoring (20 hrs/week at a tutoring office on campus) in math, chemistry and physics.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 2 recommenders are from research and the last one is a very famous theoretical chemist who I took a grad. course with.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where: All Theoretical/Physical/Computational Chemistry

UT Austin, Rice, Washington, Chicago, Northeastern, Toronto, Waterloo, Penn State, Carnegie Mellon

Got acceptance offer from UT Austin already. Does anyone have experience with UT? They invited me on a weekend for grad students, I hear it's an informal interview but not sure. Recently rejected by Toronto - they ask for A- overall, which translates to 80 - 83% in Canada, which equals to B/B+ in the U.S.... soo....

Edited by NoNo1

On 12/8/2018 at 2:53 AM, chembioforlife said:

Finished my apps 2 days ago. Anxiety is real!!! Couldn’t stop checking my inbox. Applied to 12 schools for chem/chembio. Good luck to y’all 

Lol I don't intend to have fun during Christmas.

Just got into Duke! Still waiting for: UCSB, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Boulder, Princeton, MIT. Have heard that Washington often makes early decisions, but have also heard that they usually do a second wave of later decisions, so there might still be hope on that one... 

5 hours ago, Pillarsofcreation said:

Has anyone heard from UW-Madison? I've applied early and the status is like "completed" for a long time. 

Me too...and is there anyone who hasn't got any response? I'm stressed out.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:54 PM, eggsalads said:

Just got into Duke! Still waiting for: UCSB, Oregon, Washington, Michigan, Boulder, Princeton, MIT. Have heard that Washington often makes early decisions, but have also heard that they usually do a second wave of later decisions, so there might still be hope on that one... 

Congrats!!! Does anyone know if Duke’s acceptance has all been sent out already?? I heard plenty of peeps got in. 

1 hour ago, chemthrowaway said:

Didn't get any phone calls (am abroad) or emails, but this appeared in my portal for Scripps:

image.png.8c8e268c9737413f532820149905b4ca.png

Is this a good sign?

I also noticed this appeared a few days ago. But I've not got any notifications like you.

I think it doesn't mean anything. These dates are also on https://education.scripps.edu/graduate/admissions/?tab-3-drawers=1

Edited by Pillarsofcreation