Chemistry Fall 2019 cycle

AntiSpinel

On 12/21/2018 at 6:41 PM, chembioforlife said:

Congrats!!! Does anyone know if Duke’s acceptance has all been sent out already?? I heard plenty of peeps got in. 

Not sure, but if it helps, I applied inorganic... They might be doing it by discipline. Also, they sent me a very generic "check your application status" email before I got any other acceptance emails, so maybe if you didn't get that email yet, they're still deciding? 

On 12/24/2018 at 3:15 AM, eggsalads said:

Not sure, but if it helps, I applied inorganic... They might be doing it by discipline. Also, they sent me a very generic "check your application status" email before I got any other acceptance emails, so maybe if you didn't get that email yet, they're still deciding? 

Hey, congrats! I also got that acceptance letter from Duke! I applied to analytical/ bioanalytical so I don't think the discipline matter much. There seems to be another wave of acceptance in early January so everyone else, keep your hope!

2 hours ago, Apple123 said:

Does anyone know if Caltech has sent out formal acceptances yet? 

I have replied to another person on reddit for the same question - got a call on 20 Dec, but am not expecting formal acceptances until after the New Year's break... offices are closed for the winter break isn't it?

1 minute ago, coppertellurium said:

probably not? wait until february

I agree, it's still early though, they have too many applicants to deal with and there are some people that will reject the offers.

Undergrad Institution: Public, State
Major(s): Chemistry
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.8
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 168
V: 162
W: 5.5
S: 740

Research Experience: 3 years, 2 REUs, 2 publications, 2 on the way (1 first author, 1 second author); multiple presentations (one international, one regional but an oral presentation)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: department award, a few small scholarships, dean's list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: peer tutor - 1 year, TA - 1 semester,  president of chemistry club

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: have a lot of experience in academia but in a different department (teaching, grading, etc.)

Special Bonus Points: ?

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: LOR: Two from research (probably good?), rest from professors who taught me in class

Applying to Where: Berkeley, Northwestern, Caltech, Stanford, MIT, UW-Madison, UCLA,

heard back from a few places, best of luck to everyone!

2 hours ago, coppertellurium said:

Undergrad Institution: Public, State
Minor(s): 
GPA in Major: 3.7
Overall GPA: 3.8
Position in Class: N/A
Type of Student: Domestic

Q: 168
V: 162
W: 5.5
S: 740

Research Experience: 3 years, 2 REUs, 2 publications, 2 on the way (1 first author, 1 second author); multiple presentations (one international, one regional but an oral presentation)

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: department award, a few small scholarships, dean's list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: peer tutor - 1 year, TA - 1 semester,  president of chemistry club

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: have a lot of experience in academia but in a different department (teaching, grading, etc.)

Special Bonus Points: ?

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: LOR: Two from research (probably good?), rest from professors who taught me in class

Applying to Where: Berkeley, Northwestern, Caltech, Stanford, MIT, UW-Madison, UCLA,

heard back from a few places, best of luck to everyone!

Your background looks great, may I ask which places you were already admitted?

Can't stand the waiting anymore so I thought I'd make an account and commiserate with everyone. I hate this rolling application deal.

Undergrad Institution: Small liberal arts school
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.81
Overall GPA: 3.87

Position in Class: 
Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 161 (77%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
S: 680 (46%)

Research Experience: 3 years of research with the same organic chemistry professor including one summer and six terms. Two publications, one of which I am first author. One REU at a well-known environmental chemistry institute. Three poster presentations, one at a national meeting. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: A few ACS school-level awards.

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Paid supplemental instructor for gen chem. Orgo Lab TA for three terms.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I think that my rec letters are going to be good (how do people know if they are good or not? Do they let you read them?). I have very good relationships with the three chem professors writing for me (especially my PI).

Applying to Where: (This is all for orgo)

Northeastern, MIT, Harvard, Tufts, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Pitt, Penn, Berkeley, Stanford.

Tufts emailed me an acceptance last week. Still waiting on the rest and getting more anxious by the day!

1 hour ago, chemthrowaway said:

All of you guys have such amazing stats... Getting worried I'm going to get rejected from all my schools!

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? Just curious what kind of students apply to which schools

On 1/3/2019 at 1:38 AM, notachemist said:

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? Just curious what kind of students apply to which schools

Undergrad Institution: Top 5 school
Minor(s): Computer Science
GPA in Major: 3.93
Overall GPA: 3.86

Position in Class: 
Type of Student: Domestic Male

Q: 170 (96%)
V: 164 (94%)
W: 5.5 (98%)
S: 900 (98%)

Research Experience: 1 year of research with an organic chemistry professor including one summer and two terms. 2 years of research with my current PI including one summer and four terms. No publications, posters, or REUs. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Dean's list

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: TA for two semesters, orgo lab assistant for four semesters.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: Famous PI

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: Came up and am currently working on my own project (i.e. working directly with the PI), which got a big grant for my PI. Not on the app, but probably will in the rec letter.

Does anyone know if chicago is done sending out acceptance offers? Checked the results page and it looks like the pattern is u get accepted at the end of Dec and that's about it. of course not all of them will report there.

58 minutes ago, jeter59 said:

Probably not cause for panic if we didn't hear from Columbia today, yes? Seems like last year they sent out acceptances throughout January and then rejections in February...

It looks like the only people who were notified had some fellowship. There's no need to worry unless you don't hear back in February

4 hours ago, coppertellurium said:

It looks like the only people who were notified had some fellowship. There's no need to worry unless you don't hear back in February

You are right on this one... the offer was accompanied by the Dean's fellowship 

@chemthrowaway Ehhh maybe try a little bit harder if you wanted to stay anonymous? Saying that you included your current institution on the list and listing your state in the location part is like lowkey hoping someone would recognize you on Gradcafe.

It seems this entire process stressed you out way way more than it should lol

On 12/17/2018 at 9:57 AM, SCRY30 said:

Has anyone heard back from UT Austin or UCLA, it seems like they are sending out offers?

I got a call informing me of my acceptance from one of the professors there on December 18th