Sign in to follow this  
Udiloro

How can I write a good and impressive essay?

Being as concise as possible. The kid who uses a thesaurus for every word is a professor's nightmare. Good writing is about good ideas written clearly and to the point. 

According to Kathy Livingston's Guide to Writinga Basic Essay, there are seven steps to writing a successful essay:
  1. Pick a topic. ...
  2. Prepare an outline or diagram of your ideas. ...
  3. Write your thesis statement. ...
  4. Write the body. ...
  5. Write the introduction. ...
  6. Write the conclusion. ...
  7. Add the finishing touches.

In terms of vocabulary, you will pick up on words that particular fields like to use by reading more of the literature. I'm not just talking about jargon; I've definitely seen particular phrases and words that seem favored by a field. For example, the fields of psychology and organizational behavior talk about "organizations" while economics and strategy talk about "firms" when discussing businesses (simple example but the more you read, the more you will pick up on such preferences).

I agree that using a thesaurus is not always helpful, nor is using the biggest and most complicated words. You run the risk of confusing your audience if they're unfamiliar with the word or if you use it incorrectly in a sentence. Being clear and concise is more important.

Furthermore, it is the content of your writing that will impress your faculty - the strength of your arguments, the level of research you did on a topic, and the unique insights you bring to the discussion. No list of "impressive words" can independently accomplish this.

I don't think Professors are looking for every word to be something that you dug up out of the thesaurus when reading your essays . In fact, I imagine that would get tedious very quickly and may even lead to a poor grade overall. Instead, focus on getting your points across succinctly while still trying to make it interesting to read. 

Hello,

Firstly make your vocabulary and grammar strong.

Here are some tips on how to write an essay:

1. Take one topic (if you knowledge regarding to this)

2. Write some basic introduction to the topic

3. In body part write some key points about the topic

4. Write descriptive conclusion and make that topic close.

Note: Always write descriptive and attractive, so that your essay would look attractive to the reader. Add some phrases.