Question

I would like some advice from current grad students in the chemistry field who got a BS in chemical engineering;

I am currently getting a dual degree BS in chemistry and engineering. I have to transfer to another school to get the engineering part of my degree and I think it will be about 2.5-3 years at that school. I am already in my third year at my current school, so that would be six years total from the start because I would start on my engineering degree in Fall 2019. Because it is a dual degree, there are four classes that most chemistry majors must take that I am not required to take and just have to finish up next semester with a few math courses required for the engineering part. However, I really think I want to go to grad school for analytical chemistry. I've started realizing if I pursue this path then getting the engineering degree would be pointless as I would not ever apply it to a job (right?). It would be a major waste of time and money (was planning to go to Georgia Tech). If I am lucky I could finish grad school in 5-6 years, so I would finish around 2025 (I would have to finish those few chemistry courses if I switched to just a regular chemistry degree and because of how they are offered at my school would not be able to finish until Summer 2019 or Fall 2019). If i pursue the engineering degree and end up going to grad school anyways then I would not be finished with school for 9-10 years! I still really enjoy engineering, but I love analytical chemistry more than anything, so I am really feeling like I should not waste those 2.5-3 years of my time (and money! since grad school is "free"), but at the same time a Chemical Engineering Degree from GA tech would be able to land me a great job. I want to go to grad school because again, I love analytical chemistry and would love to specialize in it. I love research and I know that is a must for grad school. But thinking about going to GA tech and taking more specific chemical engineering classes also makes me very excited. Should I just say screw it and go for the engineering degree as well? Or is it a much smarter idea to not waste my time and money? I suppose I could always apply to grad school at tech because they have a decent enough chemistry department. 

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet