MLIS Application Cycle for Fall 2019

MettaSutta

• 2 weeks later...

Where is everyone applying? I'm doing UMich, Rutgers and Chapel Hill in the US, maybe Queens College if the first three don't pan out. I'm also applying to some programs in the UK as well. I'm applying from abroad so I'm super nervous about the process. Also anyone else petrified of the GRE? Taking it Thursday and the math is definitely freaking me out. 

Edited by jaymay424

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 8:48 AM, jaymay424 said:

Where is everyone applying? I'm doing UMich, Rutgers and Chapel Hill in the US, maybe Queens College if the first three don't pan out. I'm also applying to some programs in the UK as well. I'm applying from abroad so I'm super nervous about the process. Also anyone else petrified of the GRE? Taking it Thursday and the math is definitely freaking me out. 

Not all MLIS programs require the GRE.  

Edited by Bodhicaryavatara

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’m in to University of Washington’s residential program!! Wasn’t originally going to apply since it’s so far from home but then the more I looked into it the more I liked the program. It’s my top choice in the US, but does anyone know if they would consider allowing a student admitted for residential to switch to online? I’m sure Seattle is great, but if I’m going to be a 6 hour flight from home I’d rather live in the UK. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:54 PM, jaymay424 said:

I’m in to University of Washington’s residential program!! Wasn’t originally going to apply since it’s so far from home but then the more I looked into it the more I liked the program. It’s my top choice in the US, but does anyone know if they would consider allowing a student admitted for residential to switch to online? I’m sure Seattle is great, but if I’m going to be a 6 hour flight from home I’d rather live in the UK. 

I got into the residential program too! 

From what I remember from one of the info sessions, they said that there is a possibility for residential students to switch over to the online program. However, because the online program is more competitive, the admissions counselor said that they don't grant every request. I would still try tho!

On 1/23/2019 at 8:16 PM, luznette said:

I got into the residential program too! 

From what I remember from one of the info sessions, they said that there is a possibility for residential students to switch over to the online program. However, because the online program is more competitive, the admissions counselor said that they don't grant every request. I would still try tho!

Interesting! They said I could put in a request to the admissions committee. I’m surprised that you said online is more competitive. I’d heard the opposite but who really knows! 

Any other students in the US apply to any UK programs? 

I got into Edinburgh’s preservation/archives programme and it’s considered an accredited degree equivalent by the ALA but I’m terrified I’ll come back to the US and not get hired anywhere simply because it’s not a degree from the states. 

Even so, I’d REALLY love to go. Anyone else trying this or have any insights?

On 2/3/2019 at 2:45 PM, Moonbeam said:

Me! I'm hoping to get into film preservation/archiving. The only school I applied to was UMich. 

Applied to MIAP NYU, Pratt MSLIS w/ video electives, UCLA MLIS Media Archiving, Rochester MA Film Preservation. Application is through IIE, not personally.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:57 AM, giventofly said:

Any other students in the US apply to any UK programs? 

I got into Edinburgh’s preservation/archives programme and it’s considered an accredited degree equivalent by the ALA but I’m terrified I’ll come back to the US and not get hired anywhere simply because it’s not a degree from the states. 

Even so, I’d REALLY love to go. Anyone else trying this or have any insights?

I did! Currently into Universiry of Strathclyde and City University of London and waiting on UCL. I’d love to go to the UK because my boyfriend is there and also it’s cheaper and faster and they seem to be more generous with aid. But I have the same concerns as you. I don’t want to commit all my eggs to the UK basket since emigrating will be a long and difficult process and I don’t want a degree that won’t work back home. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked my application status for Rutgers and it had been updated. I got admitted!!!

I'm going to wait until I receive something official in the mail or email before I accept. (I'm also waiting to see about any kind of aid.) But as this is the only place I applied, I'll probably figure something out. I really don't think I would do well in an online program (I've recently taken online classes.)

I got an email from the U. Arizona's department last week and received my admissions offer letter from the graduate college today. They were my first choice, so hopefully I'll be able to put together enough funding to go.

I also applied to University of North Texas (close to where I was living) as a safer second choice. Haven't heard back from them yet.

I applied to University of Alberta online MLIS program, still awaiting a decision (applications were due Feb.1). According to the website they may take as long as until the end of April, but really hoping to hear sooner. Any other U of A online applicants for Fall 2019?

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted into the University of Washington’s program and awaiting the decision from University of Arizona. I know I passed the first round of admissions with U of A but awaiting the approval from the Grad School. Was anyone offered financial aid? I submitted mine late and am anxiously awaiting a response. What factors are you using to make your final decision?

On 3/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, SunshineCleaning said:

I was accepted into the University of Washington’s program and awaiting the decision from University of Arizona. I know I passed the first round of admissions with U of A but awaiting the approval from the Grad School. Was anyone offered financial aid? I submitted mine late and am anxiously awaiting a response. What factors are you using to make your final decision?

I was fully accepted into Arizona’s program last week.  Have you conformed that the graduate program received your official transcripts.  They didn’t get mine and I ended up having to send them again and I got my acceptance 2 days later.  No news on financial aid just yet though.   

3 hours ago, Starling17 said:

I was fully accepted into Arizona’s program last week.  Have you conformed that the graduate program received your official transcripts.  They didn’t get mine and I ended up having to send them again and I got my acceptance 2 days later.  No news on financial aid just yet though.   

I thought I was required to send them after I passed the second round of admissions. That may be the issue though! I’ll follow-up, thank you!