2019 Speech Pathology Graduate Applications

• 6 months later...

There doesn't seem to be a thread like this yet, so why not get one started, right? This can be for anyone applying for the Fall 2019 cycle! Maybe it's a bit early, but knowing the type of people who tend to go for this field, I feel like a lot of us have probably started preparing for applications already. ? In the spirit of copying the thread from last year's application round:

- Where are you from?

- Which programs are you applying to?

- What are your biggest concerns about applications?

I'm from Maine but I've been living abroad for the past two years, getting some work experience through English teaching. I'm applying to five schools: the University of New Hampshire, Bridgewater State University, North Carolina Central University, the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, and New Mexico State University. Perhaps it's a bit early to be starting applying, but I want to make sure I have everything together! I'm most nervous right now about my low quantitative score on the GRE, and how to make my statement of purpose stand out.

Hi!

I'm from Los Angeles county.

I'm applying to Cal State Los Angeles (where I did my undergrad), Cal State Northridge, Cal State Long Beach, Biola University, Chapman University, NYU (online program) and Cal State Fullerton.

My biggest concern is my not-so-competitive GPA (just at a 3.0).  I'm hoping and praying I can compensate for it by doing well on my GREs (which I'm taking next month), writing a statement of purpose that stands out, positive letters of rec, and experience (currently volunteering at a pediatric private practice).. pretty much the rest of my application LOL.  We shall see.. keeping my fingers crossed!

Hey!

I'm from Florence, SC and I plan to apply to SC State University, Francis Marion University and Nova South Eastern University. I'm a little nervous because my GPA wasn't the best in undergrad which was a 2.7. However, I'm hoping that my GPA in the program that I am in right now over shines it a little so that the graduate committee knows that I am capable of completing graduate course work. I'm currently pursing a Masters in Special Education where my GPA isn't the best but a 3.32 which is better than undergrad. I've also been working as a Speech Language Pathologist Assistant since August 2013. My biggest worries right now though are simply my GPA from undergrad and hopefully scoring a better score on both the GRE and MAT.

10 hours ago, TaraDeCastro said:

Hi!

I'm from Los Angeles county.

I'm applying to Cal State Los Angeles (where I did my undergrad), Cal State Northridge, Cal State Long Beach, Biola University, Chapman University, NYU (online program) and Cal State Fullerton.

My biggest concern is my not-so-competitive GPA (just at a 3.0).  I'm hoping and praying I can compensate for it by doing well on my GREs (which I'm taking next month), writing a statement of purpose that stands out, positive letters of rec, and experience (currently volunteering at a pediatric private practice).. pretty much the rest of my application LOL.  We shall see.. keeping my fingers crossed!

That sounds like quite a lot making you a competitive applicant! Good luck on the GREs. :) Is that your overall GPA, or in-major? I've heard that programs sometimes care more about in-major GPA or the GPA for the last 60 credits (for example) more than overall GPA.

Have you been enjoying volunteering at a private practice? I definitely wish I did more volunteering/shadowing specifically in the field of speech, I'm a bit worried that it might count against me that I've only done the required 25 shadowing hours.

On 9/29/2018 at 1:04 PM, LaceySpeechie said:

There doesn't seem to be a thread like this yet, so why not get one started, right? This can be for anyone applying for the Fall 2019 cycle! Maybe it's a bit early, but knowing the type of people who tend to go for this field, I feel like a lot of us have probably started preparing for applications already. ? In the spirit of copying the thread from last year's application round:

- Where are you from?

I'm from Maine but I've been living abroad for the past two years, getting some work experience through English teaching. I'm applying to five schools: the University of New Hampshire, Bridgewater State University, North Carolina Central University, the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill, and New Mexico State University. Perhaps it's a bit early to be starting applying, but I want to make sure I have everything together! I'm most nervous right now about my low quantitative score on the GRE, and how to make my statement of purpose stand out.

I am also thinking about applying to Bridgewater. Have you heard anything about this program?

Hi there!

I'm finishing up a bachelors in Linguistics at Florida Atlantic. 

I'm planning to apply to most schools in Florida (not FAU; super limited seat availability and a large application pool according to professors in my speech pre-reqs). FIU, USF, UCF, Nova Southeastern. I'm starting to look into out of state schools as well because I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket even though in-state tuition sounds lovely. I've also recently been made aware that Florida specifically is a bit of a hotbed for this field ATM but I need to figure out where else would be good for my stats. I'm probably going to finish with a 3.3 or 3.4 and because I'm also out of field (pre-reqs completed, but still out of field) I'm S C A R E D. Also, I'm currently taking chem and it's NOT fun and I hate myself for waiting until senior year to take it ? 

10 hours ago, LeahMcl said:

I am also thinking about applying to Bridgewater. Have you heard anything about this program?

Not much, apart from what I've found online! I'm trying to contact some current participants in the program through linkedin. ? I can let you know if I find out more! It's so difficult with the program being so new. And it seems very difficult to get into... there are many more prerequisites than the other programs I'm looking at. I've tried to email the school to ask about specific prerequisites, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm hoping that missing some of the non-CSD prereqs won't count against me in the application! If I'm accepted I would definitely take the required courses in the summer prior to starting the program, but my current situation doesn't easily allow me to take classes right now.

Where else are you thinking about applying to?

On 10/2/2018 at 6:08 AM, LaceySpeechie said:

Not much, apart from what I've found online! I'm trying to contact some current participants in the program through linkedin. ? I can let you know if I find out more! It's so difficult with the program being so new. And it seems very difficult to get into... there are many more prerequisites than the other programs I'm looking at. I've tried to email the school to ask about specific prerequisites, but they haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm hoping that missing some of the non-CSD prereqs won't count against me in the application! If I'm accepted I would definitely take the required courses in the summer prior to starting the program, but my current situation doesn't easily allow me to take classes right now.

Where else are you thinking about applying to?

Yeah its hard to find out information and how the accreditation works. Where did you go for undergrad? I am thinking Marquette University, Nazareth, Bridgewater, LaSalle, and Towson. Debating Worcester State and George Washington.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:22 AM, LeahMcl said:

Yeah its hard to find out information and how the accreditation works. Where did you go for undergrad? I am thinking Marquette University, Nazareth, Bridgewater, LaSalle, and Towson. Debating Worcester State and George Washington.

I went to the University of New Hampshire! I'm hoping to get in there, but really, I'm hoping to get into at least one of the five I'm applying to. ?

That's a good list! I've heard George Washington is very nice, I thought about applying there but the cost seems so high. ?

On another note: does anyone want to exchange statements of purpose/letters of intent? I'd love to get feedback on mine and would be happy to provide feedback in exchange! As someone who's out of school I don't have the use of resources like university writing centers or career services - in case anyone else is in a similar situation, or just wants another pair of eyes to read their statement, let me know! :)

1 hour ago, LaceySpeechie said:

I went to the University of New Hampshire! I'm hoping to get in there, but really, I'm hoping to get into at least one of the five I'm applying to. ?

That's a good list! I've heard George Washington is very nice, I thought about applying there but the cost seems so high. ?

I know that is why I am just debating it. My advisor highly recommended it, but not sure I have the stats. 

Hi!

I'm originally from San Francisco but did my undergrad in New York, and I'm currently living in Portland, OR, completing my CSD coursework online through Pacific University.

I'm planning on applying to MGHIHP, Pacific University, Portland State University, and University of Washington. I'm also considering applying to CSUEB, SFSU, and NYU, but I really want a school that will let me focus on aphasia as much as possible, since I know that's the population I want to work with. Let me know if you know of any schools I should look into!

I don't have any research experience, and I wish my GRE scores were higher, but I'm hoping my personal statement and volunteer experience can make up for that!

Edited by samijeanne

Hi!

I'm your friendly neighborhood Canadian from Montreal. I have a bit of an off background. I completed my B.A in Psychology and did quite poorly. I graduated with a 2.52 GPA. So I went back to university and I am finishing up an Honours B.A in Linguistics with a GPA of 3.67.

I am applying across Canada only (less competition for you guys!) to McGill, University of Toronto, Ottawa University, McMasters, and Western.

During this B.A, I have been a TA, I currently work as an ABA therapist, I have taken ASL classes, volunteered a bit with an SLP, but my biggest concern would be that they will see my poor grades from my first bachelors degree and disregard me based on that. I have tried to compensate since then, but it very clearly was not the program for me.

Any ideas?

Hi I'm Kate,

I'm from Boston and I am applying to schools mostly in the Boston area. I am applying to Emerson College, Boston University, Northeastern University, MGH, University of New Hampshire, Bridgewater State, Worcester State, and the University of Central Florida. My biggest concern about applications currently is writing my personal statement and making it stand out. :)

Edited by kate9696

21 hours ago, kate9696 said:

Hi I'm Kate,

I'm from Boston and I am applying to schools mostly in the Boston area. I am applying to Emerson College, Boston University, Northeastern University, MGH, University of New Hampshire, Bridgewater State, Worcester State, and the University of Central Florida. My biggest concern about applications currently is writing my personal statement and making it stand out. :)

The personal statements are the hardest part, for certain! I've got three nearly finished and still two more to go. I'm a bit concerned about how to handle Bridgewater's requirement for a "brief, but careful" statement, but on the one's without length requirements I'm hoping it's safe to just assume that 2 pages double-spaced is sufficient...

Hello,

I am from Los Angeles, CA where I am finishing up my undergrad in CSD at CSU Los Angeles. 

I'll be applying to 2 private schools in CA (Redlands, Biola) and 1 public (CSU Chico) in hopes of staying in CA. Out of state I'm applying to low applicant programs (U of N Kearney & Omaha, Stockton University, SUNY Plattsburgh, Old Dominion, and Hampton University). 

My GPA is 3.23 andI have yet to take the GRE but I'm not confident my scores will be phenomenal. As far as my experience I have about 5 years working with special needs (mild to severe; ages vary from 4 y/o-19y/o). The last 3 years I have been working in a middle school as a special education instructional aide. The last 9 months I have been volunteering at a private practice speech and language center. I am just worried my experience and personal statement won't be enough to make up for my stats. 

Where are you from? Greensboro NC, finishing up CSD undergrad at UNCG

Which programs are you applying to? Definitely UNCG and UNC Chapel Hill  // considering applying out of state to UPitt, IU Bloomington, and JMU

What are your biggest concerns about applications?  Definitely personal statement/essay also GRE quant score.

V: 158  //  Q: 143 (ugh) this was after I retook the GRE, the first time Q: 141

waiting to hear back from writing, got a 3.0 the first time, but felt better about the retake...

WTG testing anxiety amirite?

GPA: 4.0

Experience: working with people with intellectual disabilities, undergrad clinic experience working with PWS, and I'll be participating in research in the spring.

Anyone have any insight into the programs at the three out of state options? The websites don't seem to be too helpful. I'm mostly applying to them because they seem to have competitive, highly ranked programs and decent cost of living around campus. I looked at Emerson college, but geez what out of state grad student can afford to live anywhere near boston?! 

Hi!

I am from Miami, FL and I earned a Bachelor's degree in psychology. I will be applying to five schools in with Boston Area (BU, MGHIHP, Emerson, Northeaster, Worcester), two in D.C. (Gallaudet, George Washington), and three in Florida (FAU, NOVA, FIU). Thinking about adding one more school to the list (NYU). I know it is a lot to apply to but I also know it is very competitive. I visited 4 schools in Boston and the amount of applicants they receive is around 600, and about 45 have a chance of acceptance. My biggest concern is definitely my GRE scores. I just took it yesterday and received a Q:144 & V:152. I will be taking it a second time in three weeks. I think my GPA is average 3.27, and I have all my LOR's. I will be working on making a strong letter of intent. Best luck to all! ?

47 minutes ago, slgaskin412 said:

Where are you from? Greensboro NC, finishing up CSD undergrad at UNCG

Which programs are you applying to? Definitely UNCG and UNC Chapel Hill  // considering applying out of state to UPitt, IU Bloomington, and JMU

What are your biggest concerns about applications?  Definitely personal statement/essay also GRE quant score.

V: 158  //  Q: 143 (ugh) this was after I retook the GRE, the first time Q: 141

waiting to hear back from writing, got a 3.0 the first time, but felt better about the retake...

WTG testing anxiety amirite?

GPA: 4.0

Experience: working with people with intellectual disabilities, undergrad clinic experience working with PWS, and I'll be participating in research in the spring.

Anyone have any insight into the programs at the three out of state options? The websites don't seem to be too helpful. I'm mostly applying to them because they seem to have competitive, highly ranked programs and decent cost of living around campus. I looked at Emerson college, but geez what out of state grad student can afford to live anywhere near boston?! 

I know!! The cost of living in Boston is extremely high. If I get accepted to any of the schools in the area, my husband and I (we're young lol) will most definitely be looking for a roommate. I also met a girl who is from Boston and told me that she will be applying to Worcester State (which is 45min- 1hr away) and said with the transit system it is easy to get there. 

On 10/2/2018 at 2:41 PM, samijeanne said:

Hi!

I'm originally from San Francisco but did my undergrad in New York, and I'm currently living in Portland, OR, completing my CSD coursework online through Pacific University.

I'm planning on applying to MGHIHP, Pacific University, Portland State University, and University of Washington. I'm also considering applying to CSUEB, SFSU, and NYU, but I really want a school that will let me focus on aphasia as much as possible, since I know that's the population I want to work with. Let me know if you know of any schools I should look into!

I don't have any research experience, and I wish my GRE scores were higher, but I'm hoping my personal statement and volunteer experience can make up for that!

I’m a current SLP grad student at Pacific U. If you have any questions let me know. It’s seriously the best program ever!

On 10/13/2018 at 10:03 AM, LaceySpeechie said:

The personal statements are the hardest part, for certain! I've got three nearly finished and still two more to go. I'm a bit concerned about how to handle Bridgewater's requirement for a "brief, but careful" statement, but on the one's without length requirements I'm hoping it's safe to just assume that 2 pages double-spaced is sufficient...

Yes I think 2 pages is a good length!!

Hi!

I'm from Chicago, IL and am currently finishing up my undergrad in CSD at Elmhurst College! I am applying to Midwestern University (Downer's Grove, IL & Glendale, AZ), Northern Illinois University, Elmhurst College, St. Xavier University, and Governor's State University. I am also considering applying to NYU's online program. 

I think I'm most worried about how I am going to pay for graduate school more than anything right now. I know a lot of schools offer graduate assistantships and some scholarships, but that most likely won't cover the full cost. The application process has been tedious, but it's not as bad as I expected it to be. It makes me feel better knowing that everyone is just as stressed as I am and that I'm not the only one. Best of luck to everyone ☺️

On 9/29/2018 at 11:04 AM, LaceySpeechie said:

- Where are you from?

Hi! I am from SLC, Utah. I am applying to UNC Chapel Hill, Pacific University, University of SC, Idaho State University, East Carolina University, NCCU, and Western Kentucky University. My biggest worries for applications is the whole thing ?? jk... Im done with GRE and with asking for letters of rec. so my current biggest worries are my lowish GPA and trying to get all of my personal statements done!?

Hi! Currently live in Provo, UT. I'm applying to University of Utah, Utah State University, University of Washington, Arizona State University, UC-Boulder, UT-Dallas, and Texas Women's University. 

I took the GRE last week and unofficial scores are 161 Verbal 160 Quant, not sure on writing yet. I'm nervous because my GPA is just okay (3.72). I also have no idea how to write a personal statement that will stand out! I've had lots of experience working with kids and I've worked with people with disabilities. I did one semester of research (research is... not my thing...). I think I just have a lot of anxiety because I've pretty much convinced myself I won't get in anywhere!! Also it's SO expensive to apply to grad schools!! I'm looking at $600 just for the applications, plus $200 for the GRE and $90 to send my GRE scores since they only give you 4 free ones. Goodbye money!!

Edit to add: I'm also worried about interviews. Do you guys know if any of the schools I'm applying to have interviews as part of the process? I don't know how I'll afford flying to a bunch of different cities for interviews!!

Edited by natalee
adding info