2019 Speech Pathology Graduate Applications

Hi! 

I’m from New York City. I am applying to 10 schools: NYU, CSUN, Boston University, Emerson, Northeastern, Adelphi, Hunter, Syracuse, Mercy, and Hofstra. 

My biggest concern as of right now is my low GRE score. Unfortunately, I am not a good standardized test taker and I’m hoping it doesn’t mess with my chances of getting into graduate school. On the flip side, I currently have a 3.76 cumulative gpa and a 4.0 gpa in my linguistics major and SLP minor. I am currently a lab manager in the motor speech lab at my school and a research assistant in the prosody and intonation lab. With this opportunity I have under my belt 3 years of research and conference experience. Also, I’ve had the opportunity to obtain clinical and observational hours in a hospital environment under rehabilitation and in a public school with hands on speech therapy.  

I’m literally terrified I won’t get into any graduate schools considering the application process is extremely intimidating and not to mention competitive. 

I’m extremely interested in CSUN, but fear I won’t get accepted. Does anyone know what their criteria is when accepting prospective students? Also, which part of their application is heavily focused on? 

Lastly, good luck to everyone applying! It truly is arduous work?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 4:04 PM, natalee said:

Hi! Currently live in Provo, UT. I'm applying to University of Utah, Utah State University, University of Washington, Arizona State University, UC-Boulder, UT-Dallas, and Texas Women's University. 

I took the GRE last week and unofficial scores are 161 Verbal 160 Quant, not sure on writing yet. I'm nervous because my GPA is just okay (3.72). I also have no idea how to write a personal statement that will stand out! I've had lots of experience working with kids and I've worked with people with disabilities. I did one semester of research (research is... not my thing...). I think I just have a lot of anxiety because I've pretty much convinced myself I won't get in anywhere!! Also it's SO expensive to apply to grad schools!! I'm looking at $600 just for the applications, plus $200 for the GRE and $90 to send my GRE scores since they only give you 4 free ones. Goodbye money!!

Edit to add: I'm also worried about interviews. Do you guys know if any of the schools I'm applying to have interviews as part of the process? I don't know how I'll afford flying to a bunch of different cities for interviews!!

You can check on ASHA ed find. Thats how I found which of my schools included interviews :)

Hello!

I am from Suffolk, Virginia, but I go to school in Charlottesville (UVA). I am applying to five schools as of right now. Trying to find more, but I am trying to only apply to online schools, and it's difficult to find online programs that are worth applying to. I'm definitely doing JMU online, Emerson online, NYU online, Idaho State online, and UVA just to be safe. 

I have a few concerns about grad school. For one, I do not know a single other person applying to online schools, so I have no idea how competitive they are. I also know nothing about the schools I listed other than JMU and UVA other than that they are good online programs. If anyone has information about those schools in general (doesn't have to be about specifically their online program, because the curriculum is typically the exact same) or know anyone applying to online schools, that would be awesome!

I'm also super nervous about my GRE scores. The first time I took it, after already spending 3 hours on the test, my computer started to glitch and wasn't saving some of my answers, so i didn't feel like more scores were very accurate. So i had to take it again but i barely prepared, and got a 152 Verbal and 155 Quant. From what I have heard, I think my Quant is okish, but i don't think my verbal is good enough. Should I take it again? 

My experiences include a lot a lot of leadership positions, research in a child language disorders lab using SALT, shadowing, and other typical extracurricular activities. My resume is super packed so I hope that helps my meh GRE scores. Right now I have a 3.81 major GPA and a 3.52, but hopefully they will go up after this semester. 

Honestly just want to know my likelihood of getting into those programs based off of the info i just listed lol 

To the people who have applied to Nova...about how long after you submitted your application did you hear back about an interview? I just submitted mine about a week ago and am wondering about when I would hear if I got an interview. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!! I am from Mississippi. I am graduated in May 2018 from the University of Mississippi. I am applying to 10 school: University of the Pacific Stockton, The College of Saint Rose, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Tennessee State University, Florida State University, Southeastern Louisiana University, George Washington University, Western Kentucky University, Old Dominion University, and University of Arkansas.

I think my biggest concern currently is that I do not have a competitive overall gpa because my major the first two and half years of undergrad was engineering and then I switched to SLP. Right now its at a 2.83 which I worked really hard to get but my major gpa is a 3.43 which is super competitive. My gre score is pretty average but aside from the numbers I have a ton of experience with clinical hours, undergraduate clinic hours and shadowing experience. Right now in my gap year I wanted to get some more experience but my job hours conflict with the local SLP's office hours. I am pretty confident this year and just pray that I get in somewhere because last year was a complete shit show. 

Totally happy I found this thread because I was freaking out have no one to really talk to because my mom is social worker and I am first generation graduate student.

I hope we all get in somewhere and good luck.

Hello Everyone!

I am from Michigan.

I am applying to Arizona State University, Central Michigan University, East Tennessee State University, Florida State University, University of Iowa, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and the University of Texas at Austin. 

If anyone else is applying to the University of Iowa, I'd love to swap essays (Iowa's is a question regarding typical and disordered communication).  

Wishing everyone luck on this cycle! The waiting to find out on acceptance/rejections is unbearable! 

-Audrey 

- Where are you from?

California

- Which programs are you applying to?

Cal State Long Beach, Cal State Fullerton, Cal State LA, Cal State Northridge, California Baptist University, Chapman, University of Redlands, Portland State University, and UT Austin

- What are your biggest concerns about applications?

I will somehow miss something or do something incorrectly and get disqualified ? 

On 10/24/2018 at 9:18 PM, ebogdan12 said:

Hi!

I'm from Chicago, IL and am currently finishing up my undergrad in CSD at Elmhurst College! I am applying to Midwestern University (Downer's Grove, IL & Glendale, AZ), Northern Illinois University, Elmhurst College, St. Xavier University, and Governor's State University. I am also considering applying to NYU's online program. 

I think I'm most worried about how I am going to pay for graduate school more than anything right now. I know a lot of schools offer graduate assistantships and some scholarships, but that most likely won't cover the full cost. The application process has been tedious, but it's not as bad as I expected it to be. It makes me feel better knowing that everyone is just as stressed as I am and that I'm not the only one. Best of luck to everyone ☺️

I'm a current graduate student at Governors State University. If you have any questions feel free to pm me :) Good luck with the application process!

Hi!

I am from Florida and an out of field applicant. I completed a bridge program for prerequisites. 

I am applying to Florida State University, University of Central Florida, Jacksonville University, and Florida Atlantic University. I am debating on whether I should apply out of state because of affordability.

I am really worried that my scores will hold me back V:149, Q: 145, W:4. 

Hi!

I'm from San Diego, CA. I am applying to 8 schools: Chapman, SDSU, U of Oregon, Portland State, Northeastern, Boston U, Columbia, and NYU. 

For academics: I have a 3.89 GPA (but it should be going up after this quarter). I was awarded Phi Beta Kappa and am in the honors program.

For my GRE scores: 153 on verbal, 156 on math, and 5.5 for writing.

Speech experience: I have ~55 shadow hours at 3 different offices, and over 300 hours of working at a therapeutic riding barn (hippotherapy).

Activities: I'm a campus tour guide, am on the Triathlon team, directed a club teaching 1st and 2nd graders environmental awareness, was/ am a part of 2 other boards for on-campus clubs, did research in a phonetics lab at UCSD, am fluent in Spanish (I was a translator for a stroke patient) and know a little Hebrew. I also worked at a boutique and in the past worked at HomeGoods. I also have a little bit of coding experience. I taught kids to code a few summers ago. Also, I horseback ride and have been fostering animals for over 17 years.

Fears:

1. I am about to turn in my apps (hopefully they'll be done tomorrow) and I'm SO scared that I won't get in anywhere. I know it's crazy selective, so I'm just terrified. I honestly just want to get into one school!

2. I'm also terrified that my verbal score on the GRE is way too low, but I know that I wouldn't have been able to get a higher score.

3. Also, I'm not a CSD major. I'm Linguistics and my school doesn't offer a lot of the SLP courses, so I've taken a lot of pre-reqs online. I'm scared this will lower my chances of getting in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I've had far too many sleepless nights!

Thank you!

Edited by SLP2B?
forgot to add that I'm not a CSD major

3 hours ago, SLP2B? said:

Hi!

I'm from San Diego, CA. I am applying to 8 schools: Chapman, SDSU, U of Oregon, Portland State, Northeastern, Boston U, Columbia, and NYU. 

For academics: I have a 3.89 GPA (but it should be going up after this quarter). I was awarded Phi Beta Kappa and am in the honors program.

Speech experience: I have ~55 shadow hours at 3 different offices, and over 300 hours of working at a therapeutic riding barn (hippotherapy).

Activities: I'm a campus tour guide, am on the Triathlon team, directed a club teaching 1st and 2nd graders environmental awareness, was/ am a part of 2 other boards for on-campus clubs, did research in a phonetics lab at UCSD, am fluent in Spanish (I was a translator for a stroke patient) and know a little Hebrew. I also worked at a boutique and in the past worked at HomeGoods. I also have a little bit of coding experience. I taught kids to code a few summers ago. Also, I horseback ride and have been fostering animals for over 17 years.

Fears:

1. I am about to turn in my apps (hopefully they'll be done tomorrow) and I'm SO scared that I won't get in anywhere. I know it's crazy selective, so I'm just terrified. I honestly just want to get into one school!

2. I'm also terrified that my verbal score on the GRE is way too low, but I know that I wouldn't have been able to get a higher score.

3. Also, I'm not a CSD major. I'm Linguistics and my school doesn't offer a lot of the SLP courses, so I've taken a lot of pre-reqs online. I'm scared this will lower my chances of getting in.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I've had far too many sleepless nights!

Thank you!

Holy moley! You sound pretty competitive to me. Your verbal GRE is fine, and your AW score is awesome. You also have some great experiences! Don't sweat it, you'll get in somewhere as long as you didn't bomb the personal statement. I also got my undergrad in Linguistics and I got in without a tenth of your experience!

2 hours ago, bibliophile222 said:

Holy moley! You sound pretty competitive to me. Your verbal GRE is fine, and your AW score is awesome. You also have some great experiences! Don't sweat it, you'll get in somewhere as long as you didn't bomb the personal statement. I also got my undergrad in Linguistics and I got in without a tenth of your experience!

Sorry, I'm new to Grad Cafe (hence why I responded twice). Thanks so much! You honestly have no idea how much better you made me feel. If I got into even just 5 of these schools I'd be thrilled.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with UW-Madison's program and the type of applicants they accept. This is my top choice, but I am worried about my GRE. I have a 165 V, 148 Q, and 4 AWA. I have a 3.96 GPA and 4.00 in the major and been working at a research lab for 3 semesters, and I received an award given by the CSD department to a student who shows promise in the field. I'm trying not to think too much about it and not get my hopes up because of how competitive the program is, but it's so difficult.

• 4 weeks later...

I just sent in my seventh application out of eight and feeling both relieved and anxious about the wait for results.

- Where are you from?

I'm from Seattle but did my undergrad in Connecticut.  I'm aiming for relatively low cost-of-living cities for grad school, so I'll likely end up in the Midwest, which will be new for me.  As long as there's a dog park (and preferably snow in the winter), I'll probably be content.

- Which programs are you applying to?

Here's the list in random order:

• University of Kansas
  • University of Nebraska, Lincoln
  • University of Iowa
  • University of Oregon
  • Pennsylvania State University
  • Idaho State University (I put Meridian as my top choice)
  • Portland State University
  • Purdue University

- What are your biggest concerns about applications?

I have plenty of anxiety about most things, and applications are no exception.  I think not applying to University of Washington was the right choice for me, but I'm constantly second-guessing that decision (wasting the opportunity to get in-state tuition to a very good program!). 

I'm mostly counting on making my decision based on finances, so I'm worried that I won't have any choices that don't put me under a huge pile of debt.  (Idaho State with WRGP is my back-up on that one.)  Also, what if there is a decision deadline and I don't have all my funding information (RA/TA possibilities, etc.) before I have to make a decision and then I make a terrible mistake?  Does anyone know how decision deadlines work (like deadlines for choosing a school)?  How often do people end up in this scenario?

I'm also worried that I missed some fine print in the application instructions and wasted a bunch of time and money on applications that will be thrown out immediately.  In the same vein, I'm guessing a few of my myriad personal statements/essays are trash or have huge errors in them.  We'll find out soon enough!  Good luck to all.

On 11/27/2018 at 2:34 PM, KelsHud said:

Hi!! I am from Mississippi. I am graduated in May 2018 from the University of Mississippi. I am applying to 10 school: University of the Pacific Stockton, The College of Saint Rose, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Tennessee State University, Florida State University, Southeastern Louisiana University, George Washington University, Western Kentucky University, Old Dominion University, and University of Arkansas.

I think my biggest concern currently is that I do not have a competitive overall gpa because my major the first two and half years of undergrad was engineering and then I switched to SLP. Right now its at a 2.83 which I worked really hard to get but my major gpa is a 3.43 which is super competitive. My gre score is pretty average but aside from the numbers I have a ton of experience with clinical hours, undergraduate clinic hours and shadowing experience. Right now in my gap year I wanted to get some more experience but my job hours conflict with the local SLP's office hours. I am pretty confident this year and just pray that I get in somewhere because last year was a complete shit show. 

Totally happy I found this thread because I was freaking out have no one to really talk to because my mom is social worker and I am first generation graduate student.

I hope we all get in somewhere and good luck.

Our stats are similar.

From California 

Applied/Applying to Biola, Cal Baptist, Loma Loma, University of the Pacific, Northern Arizona, ENMU, Nova, USC, NYU, and Emerson.

Biggest fear? I am afraid my application will not be considered because of my cumulative GPA of 2.9 ( thanks CSDCAS ). I have over 3 years of experience as an SLPA so I am hoping they look at the whole picture. I feel my SOIs and LORs are great so if they look at the whole picture then maybe I'll get accepted to a school or two. 

Hi! I posted a couple months back asking for some advice. I have a new question, what percentage of students get invited to interview at Boston University? Is it incredibly competitive?

Do you think I seem like a competitive enough applicant to get an interview? I would be so excited and honored if I do!

Here are my stats again: 

For academics: I have a 3.89 GPA. I was awarded Phi Beta Kappa and am in the honors program.

Activities: I'm a campus tour guide, am on the Triathlon team, directed a club teaching 1st and 2nd graders environmental awareness, was/ am a part of 2 other boards for on-campus clubs, did research in a phonetics lab at UCSD, am fluent in Spanish (I was a translator for a stroke patient) and know a little Hebrew. I also worked at a boutique and in the past worked at HomeGoods. I also have a little bit of coding experience. I taught kids to code a few summers ago. Also, I have been fostering animals for over 17 years.

Hi! I posted a couple months back asking for some advice. I have a new question, what percentage of students get invited to interview at Boston University? Is it incredibly competitive?

Do you think I seem like a competitive enough applicant to get an interview? I would be so excited and honored if I do!

Here are my stats again: 

For academics: I have a 3.89 GPA. I was awarded Phi Beta Kappa and am in the honors program.

Activities: I'm a campus tour guide, am on the Triathlon team, directed a club teaching 1st and 2nd graders environmental awareness, was/ am a part of 2 other boards for on-campus clubs, did research in a phonetics lab at UCSD, am fluent in Spanish (I was a translator for a stroke patient) and know a little Hebrew. I also worked at a boutique and in the past worked at HomeGoods. I also have a little bit of coding experience. I taught kids to code a few summers ago. Also, I have been fostering animals for over 17 years.

Your stats are great. I am sure you will get accepted to over half of the schools you apply to! Make sure the schools are aware you're trilingual!

1 hour ago, Toya said:

Your stats are great. I am sure you will get accepted to over half of the schools you apply to! Make sure the schools are aware you're trilingual!

Thanks! I actually also know a very small amount of Italian, so I hope that makes me unique! 

But, do you happen to know what the chances are that I'll get an interview? 

Thanks! I actually also know a very small amount of Italian, so I hope that makes me unique! 

But, do you happen to know what the chances are that I'll get an interview? 

I doubt anyone here can actually give you exact odds... the best thing to do is look at ASHA EdFind to see how many acceptances vs. the number of applications they get, which should give you an idea of how competitive each school is. You could also try looking through the forums here to find others who got accepted (or rejected) from the schools you're applying to.

5 hours ago, LaceySpeechie said:

I doubt anyone here can actually give you exact odds... the best thing to do is look at ASHA EdFind to see how many acceptances vs. the number of applications they get, which should give you an idea of how competitive each school is. You could also try looking through the forums here to find others who got accepted (or rejected) from the schools you're applying to.

Yeah, I figured. Worth a shot though! Thanks so much!

Hello all! 

Im from California and did my undergrad at CSU Fullerton! I'm applying to four schools: New Mexico State, University of Redlands, Midwestern - Glendale, & St. Augustine. 

My GPA is decent (3.69), but not confident in gaining an acceptance within my home state, hence the majority of my chosen schools being out-of-state. I also have terrible GRE scores so really hoping my extracurriculars make up for that. I've officially submitted all and am now playing the dreaded waiting game. I'm most nervous at the moment for an interview I have coming up at the Midwestern campus, if anybody has any tips that'd be amazing! I've read through posts regarding the topic but maybe someone has some additional tips. Good luck everybody, we got this! :)

16 hours ago, emwhip said:

Hello all! 

Im from California and did my undergrad at CSU Fullerton! I'm applying to four schools: New Mexico State, University of Redlands, Midwestern - Glendale, & St. Augustine. 

My GPA is decent (3.69), but not confident in gaining an acceptance within my home state, hence the majority of my chosen schools being out-of-state. I also have terrible GRE scores so really hoping my extracurriculars make up for that. I've officially submitted all and am now playing the dreaded waiting game. I'm most nervous at the moment for an interview I have coming up at the Midwestern campus, if anybody has any tips that'd be amazing! I've read through posts regarding the topic but maybe someone has some additional tips. Good luck everybody, we got this! :)

I was offered an interview at Midwestern as well! What date did you sign up for? I'll be there on 1/28/2019

5 hours ago, hiimkhanh said:

I was offered an interview at Midwestern as well! What date did you sign up for? I'll be there on 1/28/2019

Yay, congratulations & good luck!! Mine is this coming Monday, 1/14!