2019 Speech Pathology Graduate Applications

On 2/10/2019 at 5:08 PM, mgSLP2b said:

Hi!!! 

Grew up overseas,

-living in Texas, going to undergrad

I applied to A TON of schools just because i wasn't really sure what i was looking for in a program

- baylor, texas tech HSC, MGHI, Texas state, LSUHSC, LSU-baton rouge, LSU-Shreveport, Chapman, SDSU and Samford 

My biggest concern is everything really...

I have an ok gpa (3.56), my gre is ok (not competitive, v: 151, q: 146). I know a lot of my schools are probably reach schools but here's hoping!!! I'm really nervous about the interview process (what will they ask, etc). I've heard back from LSUHSC in New Orleans and Samford and got an interview with both but have heard that LSU only takes 2 out of state students even though I would really like to go there. I'm also nervous that they might ask about research interests. I am interested in TBI's and ASD but not sure how to turn those into research questions

If anyone has any tips about the interview process, etc anything would be greatly appreciated! GOOD LUCK!

Have you had your interview with LSUHSC new orleans yet? Any advice?

12 hours ago, libbyyehca said:

Hi!

Has anyone heard from these programs yet: CSUF, MWU Glendale, University of Arizona, or NAU (full-time)?

Last year invitations to CSUF's open house invitations (for the top ~70 candidates under consideration) were sent out on 3/8 and acceptances around 3/18, so I think we still have a bit more waiting to do ?

20 hours ago, libbyyehca said:

Hi!

Has anyone heard from these programs yet: CSUF, MWU Glendale, University of Arizona, or NAU (full-time)?

I received an acceptance from NAU full-time on Feb 1st

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, SLP2B? said:

Does anyone happen to know when Columbia University (Teachers College) or NYU will send out results? Maybe someone's heard rumors or something?

In-person or online program for NYU? I've seen quite a few online applicants post their results over the last couple of weeks. The past 2 years in-person program applicants posted results starting on Feb 28, but someone said that they called and were told that this year it will be mid to late March. There's a forum here, feel free to post when you hear something! 

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

I'm a Canadian pursuing Speech-Language Pathology and I applied to a few schools in Canada this year. Unfortunately, Canada is extremely competitive so I was only waitlisted. I have a BA in Linguistics and Psychology, a 3.91GPA, and lots of relevant work, research, and volunteer experiences. I'm considering to apply to some US schools next year.

I've done a bit of research and it looks like I'd have to complete an entire post-baccalaureate year before even applying for the Master's program (since my degree is not in Speech Sciences). I am hesitant to do this since I worked so hard to obtain a 3.91 GPA and I'm not even guaranteed entrance into the program after taking another year of classes.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any schools in the US where a linguistics degree is sufficient to apply directly into the Master's program? Or any schools where a 3.91 GPA might be good enough?

18 minutes ago, Slpeechie said:

I was wondering if anyone knows of any schools in the US where a linguistics degree is sufficient to apply directly into the Master's program? Or any schools where a 3.91 GPA might be good enough?

A 3.91 is plenty to be considered for almost all schools, even the most competitive. Here's more info on programs that incorporate post-bacc/leveling work into the masters and don't require it to be completed prior.