Columbia University MSW Fall 2019

MettaSutta

I submitted my application on Feb 15th (a little over 8 weeks ago) and I reached out to them and they said 2 more weeks, so looking at the beginning of May. I didn't realize they were that backed up! On the portal it says decisions are given within 6 weeks, so I didn't expect for it to end up being closer to 10 weeks or more. 

12 hours ago, bubbleteaadict said:

I submitted my application on Feb 15th (a little over 8 weeks ago) and I reached out to them and they said 2 more weeks, so looking at the beginning of May. I didn't realize they were that backed up! On the portal it says decisions are given within 6 weeks, so I didn't expect for it to end up being closer to 10 weeks or more. 

Yeah, that's crazy. I applied last year on the 15th and was accepted on April 16th, but they also took upwards of three months to get back to some people who submitted in November/December, so I was just grateful they only took two months to get back to me. It definitely seems like their admissions process could use some fine-tuning. Wishing you all the best!

Edited by doctormelody

1 hour ago, Gelibutter said:

Question to those who were waitlisted and got accepted , did you you do anything additional to help? For instance writing a statement of continued interest? 

The day after i got waitlisted i sent an email to the dean thanking him for my position on the waitlist, and saying i was hopeful. I also attached my midterm grades from the current semester. Seemed to go over well for me!

18 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Where did you decide to accept? What led to this choice. 

I'm going to Hunter! I can't justify the cost of Columbia's tuition, even with the scholarship they provided, and my colleagues have told me that the education really is comparable at both schools. Plus, the social justice piece is really important to me. I'm a bit sad to give up the Columbia reputation, though! 

Edited by tpg13

Hello all! I received an acceptance email yesterday! Question for folks who have been accepted already - how long after receiving the initial notification did you find out about financial aid? Was anyone able to negotiate? Thanks! Congrats to those who have already been accepted and fingers crossed for those of you still waiting to find out!

5 hours ago, Shmoo said:

Hello all! I received an acceptance email yesterday! Question for folks who have been accepted already - how long after receiving the initial notification did you find out about financial aid? Was anyone able to negotiate? Thanks! Congrats to those who have already been accepted and fingers crossed for those of you still waiting to find out!

i got mine about a week later, i didn't try to negotiate. 

Hi guys I also just declined my spot for the two-year MSW program, as I will be attending Hunter’s program for pretty much the exact same reasons tpg13 said, I cannot justify the cost/debt despite the scholarship I received. So one more spot will be open! And best of luck to you all!

Edited by Jberridge

On 5/6/2019 at 12:52 PM, Stace718 said:

I just got waitlisted until June 1!! I knew I applied too late...I applied on a whim after they extended the deadline. 

NYU has given me 2 extensions to decide and I don’t think I can make them wait almost a whole month more. Blergh.

NYU class registration for the full-time program opened today..... so I hope they tell you soon. I wasn't notified till the exact date given by Columbia after the waitlist. 

On 5/6/2019 at 1:52 PM, Stace718 said:

I just got waitlisted until June 1!! I knew I applied too late...I applied on a whim after they extended the deadline. 

NYU has given me 2 extensions to decide and I don’t think I can make them wait almost a whole month more. Blergh.

What happens if you accept NYU's offer and then renege later if you get into Columbia? I imagine you'll at least lose your NYU deposit, but are there any other lasting consequences? 

On 3/14/2019 at 9:54 PM, doctormelody said:

Gotcha! I think 18k per year is pretty good for them tbh. I’ve never seen anything higher than that on here. It’s definitely still a lot of money though. Good luck with all your future plans!

oops sorry for the super late reply haha but thank you, you too!!