Columbia University MSW Fall 2019

MettaSutta

17 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

I'm not sure the school really tracks this data. CSSW definitely looks at applications holistically though. People have been accepted with GPAs all over the charts.

Your admissions essay and experiences are just as important, if not more important than your GPA. I remember there being a lot of discussion about this on the Fall 2018 Columbia MSW thread if you care to look back. 

Also, is there any truth to rumors floating around on the internet that the acceptance rate is 70%?  Seems to good to be true!

12 hours ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

Thanks!  How generous is Columbia with merit-based scholarships?

Definitely not as generous as other schools. Most incoming students get some sort of institutional scholarship but I believe they are based on need, not on merit. There are other merit-based scholarships you can apply for through the school. I received $11k a year I think. 

8 hours ago, JonoDuncan said:

Definitely not as generous as other schools. Most incoming students get some sort of institutional scholarship but I believe they are based on need, not on merit. There are other merit-based scholarships you can apply for through the school. I received $11k a year I think. 

When did you find out about the merit based scholarships thru the school?  I can't find such info on the website. 

36 minutes ago, Bodhicaryavatara said:

When did you find out about the merit based scholarships thru the school?  I can't find such info on the website. 

I think @JonoDuncan may be referring to the ones listed here under competitive scholarships:

https://socialwork.columbia.edu/the-student-experience/costs-financial-aid/

They also emailed us in mid-January about something called the Honjo Scholarship, more info about which can be found here:

https://sipa.columbia.edu/faculty-research/libraries-resources/japanese-american-association-new-york-honjo-scholarship

Peterson's appears to have changed their website and now I can't find the acceptance rate for Columbia on there, but last year, I think it was listed as being around 52%, and I'd believe that. It's definitely infinitely less selective than their undergraduate schools, but 70% does seem high.

Anecdotally, on the thread from last year Advanced Standing applicants seemed to have a harder time than traditional two-year applicants, and many people with high GPA's were rejected. Also, a lot of people were treated like garbage by the school. I'd highly recommend reading through that thread if you have time - it's extremely long, but will probably provide valuable info. 

I really hope this was helpful.

Edit: accidentally posted the same link twice.

Edited by doctormelody

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2018 at 12:23 PM, Bianca Sig said:

Hey! I'm actually doing the 16 month program, Clinical Social Work. Practice will be Families, Youth & Children while minoring in Criminal Justice. 

I really needed help with the personal statement question: 

Describe a social problem of significance to you. Please discuss it with regard to: societal contributions to the origin of the problem; experiences that have contributed to your identification and understanding of the problem; and possible ways of addressing the problem.

Any ideas? Thanks!

I had a very similar question for my program of choice. I decided to choose a particular field I had interest in (mental health) and then really took a narrow approach (focusing on adolescents with BPD). If you are too broad, you may find it challenging to address this question appropriately (especially in the page limit they provide).

On 12/29/2018 at 11:12 PM, meganruss said:

I had a very similar question for my program of choice. I decided to choose a particular field I had interest in (mental health) and then really took a narrow approach (focusing on adolescents with BPD). If you are too broad, you may find it challenging to address this question appropriately (especially in the page limit they provide).

Right.  I took a narrow approach as well (gender-based violence in the South Asian American community).

• 1 month later...

I am not surprised by the high acceptance rate because that is based off of applicants to the online school as well which is allowing more students into the school along that track. Also, some students lack the confidence to apply to this program, and not always because they are not strong applicants. It can be much easier and more affordable to get into a state school. 

15 hours ago, MSW1313 said:

Hello!

For anyone that submitted their application by the priority deadline (which was extended to Dec 7)- have you heard back yet? What other schools did you apply to?

I have not heard back yet, but I remember the email saying that decisions are typically sent out in mid-February. So, crossing my fingers that it's soon! I also applied to UNC Chapel Hill, NC State, University of Tennessee, and UT Austin. 

Edited by sadyeball

17 hours ago, MSW1313 said:

Hello!

For anyone that submitted their application by the priority deadline (which was extended to Dec 7)- have you heard back yet? What other schools did you apply to?

No I haven't heard back yet but I got an email a couple of weeks ago saying I would hear back by mid February. I applied to Fordham, Hunter, NYU, and Temple U. 

15 minutes ago, 18coffees said:

No I haven't heard back yet but I got an email a couple of weeks ago saying I would hear back by mid February. I applied to Fordham, Hunter, NYU, and Temple U. 

hi! yes i heard we would hear back from Columbia mid-feb as well. I too decided to apply to Fordham and NYU just recently, my application was complete 2/1 and I just heard my acceptance today from Fordham! the first school I've heard back from so far in regards to any decision

1 minute ago, MSW1313 said:

hi! yes i heard we would hear back from Columbia mid-feb as well. I too decided to apply to Fordham and NYU just recently, my application was complete 2/1 and I just heard my acceptance today from Fordham! the first school I've heard back from so far in regards to any decision

I also heard back from Fordham today with an acceptance to their advanced standing program with a merit scholarship! Do you have a top school?

14 hours ago, wree123 said:

hey y'all

has anyone been contacted for an interview?

:)

Nope. I didn’t know Columbia does interviews! Are you international or adv. standing?

Edited by mswguy

31 minutes ago, mswguy said:

Congrats! What program did you apply for?

Thank you!! I applied for the 2 year Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice with a Health, Mental Health and Disabilities concentration