Columbia University MSW Fall 2019

MettaSutta

On 2/5/2019 at 1:18 AM, MSW1313 said:

Hello!

For anyone that submitted their application by the priority deadline (which was extended to Dec 7)- have you heard back yet? What other schools did you apply to?

Hi! 

I applied the last day of the deadline (Dec 7th) and I just got my acceptance this evening for Columbia!! I applied to Columbia, UPenn, USF, Temple, University of MD Baltimore

2 hours ago, fzia said:

Hi! 

I applied the last day of the deadline (Dec 7th) and I just got my acceptance this evening for Columbia!! I applied to Columbia, UPenn, USF, Temple, University of MD Baltimore

I also submitted my application on the last day of the priority deadline - 1120pm on deec 7th to be exact! And I received my admissions decision today. I'll be visiting the campus this weekend.. I'd like to make a decision in the next week. Any thoughts on Columbia vs NYU?

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted!!! Does anyone know when we will receive our financial aid packages? 

@mswgirl11 As far as I know, we will not be receiving pay for our field placements. In fact, we pay them to place us--it's definitely one of the things that makes me wrestle with the MSW program. It's expensive and exigent because of the dual curriculum (academics + field placement) which means that finding a part-time job will be difficult. ? 

1 hour ago, MSWgirl2019 said:

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted!!! Does anyone know when we will receive our financial aid packages? 

@mswgirl11 As far as I know, we will not be receiving pay for our field placements. In fact, we pay them to place us--it's definitely one of the things that makes me wrestle with the MSW program. It's expensive and exigent because of the dual curriculum (academics + field placement) which means that finding a part-time job will be difficult. ? 

No school has paid field placements from what I know? You might get stipends for certain skills (e.g. being bilingual) but that's granted by the placement org.

6 hours ago, mswguy said:

No school has paid field placements from what I know? You might get stipends for certain skills (e.g. being bilingual) but that's granted by the placement org.

Some programs allow you to use federal work study funds by logging the hours from your placement. It's a max of $2,000 (I believe) but that's better than nothing. May be worth a shot to ask if they would approve that. Otherwise very few placements pay from their own funds. 

just got accepted to Columbia, 

still waiting on other schools, but I paid my deposit to secure my spot, if I choose to go to another school, how do you reject the offer, i know i won't get my deposit back, but im wondering if I would send a email, or if there is a formal way to reject offers, after accepting?

thanks!! and congrats to those who got accepted!

Got my acceptance yesterday! I am so excited! I emailed them immediately to ask when aid will be posted and they said 2 weeks. I have a 2-year-old so a strong aid offer is a deal breaker for me. However, I am so happy to have been a strong enough applicant to earn an acceptance; I have really come to terms with it most likely not being affordable. 

super late on the applying here! For the essay did any of you choose to share statistics or give a source list. This is primarily pointed towards the third topic. 

3a. Describe a social problem of significance to you. Please discuss it with regard to: societal contributions to the origin of the problem; experiences that have contributed to your identification and understanding of the problem; and possible ways of addressing the problem.

2 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

super late on the applying here! For the essay did any of you choose to share statistics or give a source list. This is primarily pointed towards the third topic. 

3a. Describe a social problem of significance to you. Please discuss it with regard to: societal contributions to the origin of the problem; experiences that have contributed to your identification and understanding of the problem; and possible ways of addressing the problem.

Nvm, got it :]

On 2/9/2019 at 10:01 AM, MSW1313 said:

Congratulations!!! Is Columbia your first choice?

Thank you! Congrats as well! I was accepted to NYU (with a scholarship), but none at Columbia because I'm international (coming from Canada), so the tuition component, amongst others, is making it hard for me to decide between the two! What about you?