Columbia University MSW Fall 2019

MettaSutta

On 3/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, Msw_2019! said:

Hi! I got my acceptance letter yesterday, how long did it take them to send you your financial aid award letter??

Congrats! ? Welcome.

2 minutes ago, toofunny said:

I just saw that they extended their final deadline to March 22nd. Any ideas behind the reasoning for that? Not enough people apply?

I see that too. No idea? I applied super last min so I wish I would have been told about it for essay purposes! 

19 hours ago, Msw_2019! said:

@catatap thank you! And congrats to you too! Will you be attending Columbia then? 

I think so. I still have a few things to figure out, but unless something goes horribly wrong, I'll be there. 

15 hours ago, toofunny said:

I just saw that they extended their final deadline to March 22nd. Any ideas behind the reasoning for that? Not enough people apply?

What was the original deadline?

3 hours ago, Msw_2019! said:

@catatap I'm still trying to decide. I'm waiting for the Financial Aid Award as well.. though from I've read, they do not offer a lot of scholarship money. If I may ask.. will you be applying to Grad Plus loans? 

Oh, for sure, and likely private loans too which doesn't exactly thrill me.

2 hours ago, Capturedvitality said:

Deadline was feb 15....

Oh! That is a hell of a change. @toofunny is probably right about not enough people applying.

30 minutes ago, catatap said:

Oh! That is a hell of a change. @toofunny is probably right about not enough people applying.

Just wanted to let you guys know that they did this last year too I'm pretty sure, so it may be standard.

Hey y'all I've officially accepted my offer from Columbia in their Advanced Standing online MSW program! I'm still technically waiting to hear back from Fordham and UofDenver but since I had to give a response to Columbia by 3/15, I figured I might as well accept at this point lol. They offered me an $18K scholarship which doesn't feel like much as I'm still going to have to take out twice that in loans but I guess something is better than nothing.

7 hours ago, future_LCSW said:

Hey y'all I've officially accepted my offer from Columbia in their Advanced Standing online MSW program! I'm still technically waiting to hear back from Fordham and UofDenver but since I had to give a response to Columbia by 3/15, I figured I might as well accept at this point lol. They offered me an $18K scholarship which doesn't feel like much as I'm still going to have to take out twice that in loans but I guess something is better than nothing.

$18K/year or $18K total?

4 minutes ago, doctormelody said:

Wait, I'm so confused, I thought Advanced Standing was one year? Unless there is a part-time online program that I'm unaware of?

Haha nope, reading comprehension fail on my part.  Congrats on the scholarship!

23 hours ago, catatap said:

I'm surprised about "not enough people applying"...I mean, given the name and stature of Columbia.  

11 hours ago, doctormelody said:

Wait, I'm so confused, I thought Advanced Standing was one year? Unless there is a part-time online program that I'm unaware of?

It is a year, I think I worded it wrong. They give scholarships by the semester, so it's $9K for the fall and spring semester each and then $18K for the school year. I meant to say I wish it was per semester haha

30 minutes ago, future_LCSW said:

It is a year, I think I worded it wrong. They give scholarships by the semester, so it's $9K for the fall and spring semester each and then $18K for the school year. I meant to say I wish it was per semester haha

Gotcha! I think 18k per year is pretty good for them tbh. I’ve never seen anything higher than that on here. It’s definitely still a lot of money though. Good luck with all your future plans!

On 3/13/2019 at 8:35 AM, Msw_2019! said:

@catatap I'm still trying to decide. I'm waiting for the Financial Aid Award as well.. though from I've read, they do not offer a lot of scholarship money. If I may ask.. will you be applying to Grad Plus loans? 

I got $25k/year.  Over the moon!  I do hear that they are open to negotiation if you feel like you didn't get what you deserved/needed.