Columbia University MSW Fall 2019

MettaSutta

19 hours ago, hello_MSW said:

I applied on the original final deadline (2/15) and Columbia notified me of my acceptance today. 

Concentration: Advanced Clinical Social Work Practice
Specialization: Health, Mental Health and Disabilities

I would've figured they wouldn't want to send any emails out on April 1st but congratulations! What time did you get the email?

4 hours ago, Still-waiting said:

I would've figured they wouldn't want to send any emails out on April 1st but congratulations! What time did you get the email?

Thank you! Haha I didn’t even think of that! My sister in law heard back from a different grad program in Washington yesterday too! 

I got the email that my decision was ready to be viewed at 6:50pm Eastern. 

Edited by hello_MSW

14 hours ago, hello_MSW said:

Thank you! Haha I didn’t even think of that! My sister in law heard back from a different grad program in Washington yesterday too! 

I got the email that my decision was ready to be viewed at 6:50pm Eastern. 

That’s amazing, congratulations! I submitted on 2/15 as well but haven’t heard back. I’m trying to not obsess over it haha

I am losing patience and sanity. Has anyone called them up to give them a piece of their mind? At this point, I can not stand this limbo anymore. I don't know if I need to go back to work, plan to move to NYC, apply for scholarships, or go off on Columbia to have them make a decision. It is just rude to keep people in waiting for so long, and if it is that hard for them to make a decision then maybe they need to rethink their system. I have been keeping recruiters in limbo by not being able to give any definitive answers about my plans, and I am looking really bad right now.

Anyone else heard anything from them?

7 hours ago, Still-waiting said:

I am losing patience and sanity. Has anyone called them up to give them a piece of their mind? At this point, I can not stand this limbo anymore. I don't know if I need to go back to work, plan to move to NYC, apply for scholarships, or go off on Columbia to have them make a decision. It is just rude to keep people in waiting for so long, and if it is that hard for them to make a decision then maybe they need to rethink their system. I have been keeping recruiters in limbo by not being able to give any definitive answers about my plans, and I am looking really bad right now.

When did you apply? Just asking because I applied on the 2/15 deadline last year and didn't hear back until April 16th (I was accepted, but chose not to go because they only offered me 11,000 in aid). It is definitely very frustrating but I don't think calling them and demanding a decision is the best thing to do if you actually want to go. 

14 hours ago, Still-waiting said:

I think it's okay to contact them and let them know you have other offers that you need to respond to soon. It's definitely frustrating, but it sounds like you at least have other options lined up!

Edited by hello_MSW

8 hours ago, doctormelody said:

When did you apply? Just asking because I applied on the 2/15 deadline last year and didn't hear back until April 16th (I was accepted, but chose not to go because they only offered me 11,000 in aid). It is definitely very frustrating but I don't think calling them and demanding a decision is the best thing to do if you actually want to go. 

1 hour ago, hello_MSW said:

I think it's okay to contact them and let them know you have other offers that you need to respond to soon. It's definitely frustrating, but it sounds like you at least have other options lined up!

I applied on the last day, and I was told over 2 weeks ago that I would have a decision within two weeks. At that time, I was in the final stage at faculty review, and I don't know what has happened since then. While it is often said that it is frustrating, I would say what is worse is being let down everyday that I am still left wondering. 

Clearly, everyone here that applies to this program is motivated to do something, and if the university doesn't want to open their avenue up to me or whoever then it is their duty to tell us. I, like many people that have gone on to college, have a lot of people invested in me, and I am letting them down by not being able to give them answers and plans or a real show of worth. 

Admissions is a hard job and giving someone your word about decisions means a lot.

8 minutes ago, Still-waiting said:

WELL... that's actually pretty good. I was still holding out hope that there would be some news for me today, but they are probably off the clock now.

I hear that waiting sucks. I applied to 5 schools. Hopefully you will hear back soon. It’s interesting they are waitlisting but opened application to more applicants! I bet many choose other schools due to cost and they want to have a full class!

4 minutes ago, Capturedvitality said:

I hear that waiting sucks. I applied to 5 schools. Hopefully you will hear back soon. It’s interesting they are waitlisting but opened application to more applicants! I bet many choose other schools due to cost and they want to have a full class!

Oh for sure, money is a huge, if not the #1, factor. I think they extended the deadline though because NYU's deadline was March 22.

6 hours ago, toofunny said:

I had a specific date in my letter that i would hear by, exactly 1 month from the day i was waitlisted. Were you given a date?

Is Columbia your first choice?

10 hours ago, MettaSutta said:

Is Columbia your first choice?

Yes, only because it would be such a fun and significant change! I originally applied just as a 'why not?' but after being waitlisted I'm like 'wow this could actually happen.' I thought for sure i would just be rejected lol.