MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

18 hours ago, taylorjohnson said:

I lined up a residency at the Vermont Studio Center for this June! A friend of mine that recently finished his MFA did a residency there, and since then has gotten accepted to several other programs. So, a good way to get your foot in the door! 

Where are you thinking of applying?

That's where I applied! Hoping to hear back in February if I got a Fellowship or not! I also applied to Art Farm and Wassaic Project! Maybe I'll see you in Vermont! :) 

Finished up all my apps a few days ago! Applied to University of Colorado, University of South Florida, Georgia State, Carnegie Mellon, Herron, NYU and MICA! Taking a mental health break this weekend and going on a road trip to keep myself from crazily staring at Google Analytics and my e-mail! Hope everyone is doing great! Best of luck!! 

55 minutes ago, theway said:

Yeah, I applied for painting. U mean 2nd week of February? I heard that they will not tell u decisions untill sometime of March...

Yes it says March on the site, but past freak out forums have gotten a phone interview or call to notify them they are a finalist around Feb 15-20.

1 hour ago, artsixteen said:

My interview with the Royal College of Art (London) will be this Monday, I'm getting pretty nervous about it. I also heard back from SAIC today inviting me for an interview (painting) in February. Has anyone heard back from anywhere else yet? 

Congrats! Haven't heard from SAIC (also painting)...?

Hi! First time posting, long time lurker here! 

I just heard back from SAIC (painting) for an interview in Feb. I'm a bit concerned about the travel costs for me altho I do live in the US so does anyone have any input/advice on skype vs in-person interviews? 

Thanks! I hope more people will hear back from their schools soon! :) 

29 minutes ago, duyens said:

Hi! First time posting, long time lurker here! 

I just heard back from SAIC (painting) for an interview in Feb. I'm a bit concerned about the travel costs for me altho I do live in the US so does anyone have any input/advice on skype vs in-person interviews? 

Thanks! I hope more people will hear back from their schools soon! :)

I’m living and teaching in Spain until August so the only interviews I will be able to do will be via Skype. I honestly do not think that it matters wether you are there in person or not. If you make an impact and have a successful interview it shouldn’t matter. Obviously I feel incredibly apprehensive about network issues but I’m going to go the extra mile to ensure I have an Ethernet connection and everything is in perfect working order. At the end of the day I know it’s about who I am not where I am. I feel confident in any platform and honestly almost more so via Skype because I have the comfort of my own home (sans pants?) just be your awesome self and I’m sure they will see it no matter what!

16 hours ago, artsixteen said:

My interview with the Royal College of Art (London) will be this Monday, I'm getting pretty nervous about it. I also heard back from SAIC today inviting me for an interview (painting) in February. Has anyone heard back from anywhere else yet? 

Congratulations on your upcoming Royal College of Art interview!!! That's so great, I heard it's really hard to get an interview invitation there. I saw that you got waitlisted at Cornell last year, how soon did they contact you after the application deadline? Crossing my fingers for you that all goes well on Monday, and for your SAIC interview too! Please let me know when Ruskin calls. I haven't heard anything from anyone ?

20 minutes ago, jess_is_over_it said:

Do you guys think SAIC did all the callbacks already or will continue on Monday? Stressing out over here, lol ?

Let's not worry too much about it yet--I checked the last year's forum and it seems like SAIC takes a few days to send all the invitations!!!!

Is anyone interviewing for Tyler (painting)/ meeting current students this coming Saturday? I've a Skype interview (international applicant), really nervous about it being a video call!

Also any Rutgers applicants - got an email about checking my status on their applicant status page - have done so but it says no decision - I assume we will be rejected or invited to interview via email first? nervous incase I don't check the status page and miss an interview invite! 

39 minutes ago, Ais said:

Is anyone interviewing for Tyler (painting)/ meeting current students this coming Saturday? I've a Skype interview (international applicant), really nervous about it being a video call!

Also any Rutgers applicants - got an email about checking my status on their applicant status page - have done so but it says no decision - I assume we will be rejected or invited to interview via email first? nervous incase I don't check the status page and miss an interview invite! 

When did you get the email from Rutgers? Was it from someone in the department or just a general email?

I just got an interview with Portland State for their MFA in Contemporary Art Practice in Studio Art!

Any tips for phone interviews is very welcome. They've described the interview process as informal and about 15 minutes. 

Website finally got a hit from Madison, WI! Going to try not to read into why they were only on it for two minutes...

Congrats to everyone getting interview requests! Its exciting to hear things are actually happening now!!

12 hours ago, Zander said:

UT Austin Professor contacted me via facebook a few hours ago! Wanted to get my email address to send over information regarding my application.....

Woahhhhh Facebook?!?

16 hours ago, willennium said:

When did you get the email from Rutgers? Was it from someone in the department or just a general email?

it was from the grad help email, there seems to be a problem with my transcripts and I think thats the reason I was directed there. I still assume they will contact everyone via email before we need to use the check my status portal