MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Also, to people who have gotten interview invites or have done interviews, what do they ask you to bring in terms of art or pictures of anything? I´ve never been through this process so I just want to prepare for anything and everything. 

Everyday I check the GradCafe "Results" section https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/   and I see graduate applicants posting the day they get invitations to interview, or the day they receive rejections, acceptances, waitlist notifications, etc. but I never see MFA grad applicants posting this year. Might we all post as soon as we hear anything? It would help us all, and it is anonymous (in case anyone is worried about that). I have not received any calls or emails. No program has contacted me and it would be so much better for me to know when others are being contacted. Please consider? Best of luck to all!

49 minutes ago, justaylor said:

Also, to people who have gotten interview invites or have done interviews, what do they ask you to bring in terms of art or pictures of anything? I´ve never been through this process so I just want to prepare for anything and everything. 

Even I want to know the same.

To those that are asking about UCSB, a photographer I know is applying to all three UC schools and has interviews with two of them this week. Not sure of any other details, but I hope it offers some clarity!

Also, I just got a call from the Drawing/Painting/Printmaking dept head at University of Minnesota — I was accepted!! 

Edited by taylorjohnson

1 hour ago, CatchThemAll said:

It seems like UC Irvine started sending out emails

Would also like to know what makes up say this? I haven’t heard anyone say they’ve gotten emails

8 minutes ago, painting2019 said:

I've been stalking this forum but its my first time posting. I got an email for an interview with VCU this morning for painting. 

Dang, it's looking more and more like a rejection for me! 

Congrats on the interview, that is quite the accomplishment!

2 hours ago, justaylor said:

Last year, when I interviewed with University of Michigan, they had my submitted slideroom portfolio available. This year, SAIC told me not to bring anything that they will also use my slideroom submission. 

2 hours ago, Lemon2Lemonade said:

Everyday I check the GradCafe "Results" section https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/   and I see graduate applicants posting the day they get invitations to interview, or the day they receive rejections, acceptances, waitlist notifications, etc. but I never see MFA grad applicants posting this year. Might we all post as soon as we hear anything? It would help us all, and it is anonymous (in case anyone is worried about that). I have not received any calls or emails. No program has contacted me and it would be so much better for me to know when others are being contacted. Please consider? Best of luck to all!

Dunno if this makes me feel safe or not but it’s an excellent resource!! Thanks and yes let’s all keep up to date with this!

26 minutes ago, steesp said:

Last year, when I interviewed with University of Michigan, they had my submitted slideroom portfolio available. This year, SAIC told me not to bring anything that they will also use my slideroom submission. 

I applied to u mich this year, when did you get your interview invite?

2 hours ago, justaylor said:

It depends on the school and the department.  Sometimes they'll tell you to bring works, or just samples of materials you work with.  Usually they are conscious of the level of inconvenience they are asking for (ie its easier for photo kids to bring work than sculptors), but Yale is notorious for making students bring full finished paintings.  The best preparation is to have a couple studio visits the week before, with people who have never seen your work.  It helps to practice voicing the main ideas behind your work so you don't seem nervous.  

3 hours ago, henryfive said:

A painter on the Yale thread said that they have an interview with VCU. Anyone else hear from them?

No word from VCU yet, but I applied for graphic design. I went down for the open house and they said they only take 5 or 6 designers, so we have some stiff competition. Eee good luck everyone! This waiting game is rough! 

3 hours ago, justaylor said:

I had one interview so far, it was Skype and they didn’t ask to see any work. It was pretty conversational they gave me a rundown of the program and mostly asked me about my experience and the types of projects I have worked on. Then asked what drew me to their program in particular.