MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

1 hour ago, Aatt said:

I had one interview so far, it was Skype and they didn’t ask to see any work. It was pretty conversational they gave me a rundown of the program and mostly asked me about my experience and the types of projects I have worked on. Then asked what drew me to their program in particular. 

How did you think that went?

3 minutes ago, justaylor said:

Im out of the loop what is a bounce hit?

Google Analytics will tell you how much a user engaged with your website. A "Bounce" is a very brief visit with no interaction with the page (clicks, etc.).

Edited by Calmly Waiting

57 minutes ago, painting2019 said:

What are you all doing to prep for interviews?

I'm just printing out the list of interview questions from previous year's forum and make notes of my answers as a guide for myself. I'm v forgetful so it's good for me to have something to reference/look at. Also, read up about the program/school and the faculty. A friend is going to help practice the interview with me which I think will be helpful as well. 

Good luck! 

7 hours ago, taylorjohnson said:

To those that are asking about UCSB, a photographer I know is applying to all three UC schools and has interviews with two of them this week. Not sure of any other details, but I hope it offers some clarity!

Also, I just got a call from the Drawing/Painting/Printmaking dept head at University of Minnesota — I was accepted!! 

Can you clarify which UC schools your friend has interviews with? There are more than 3 UC schools that I can think of. And congrats on UMN! Did they interview you or just call?

4 hours ago, duyens said:

I'm just printing out the list of interview questions from previous year's forum and make notes of my answers as a guide for myself. I'm v forgetful so it's good for me to have something to reference/look at. Also, read up about the program/school and the faculty. A friend is going to help practice the interview with me which I think will be helpful as well. 

Good luck! 

I got an interview ith CMU and UCSD, any links to where i can find previous interview questions for them? I've been searching but im coming up empty.

oh never mind i finally found the thread.

Edited by NeverKnowWhat
found it

4 minutes ago, NeverKnowWhat said:

I got an interview ith CMU and UCSD, any links to where i can find previous interview questions for them? I've been searching but im coming up empty.

oh never mind i finally found the thread.

Congrats! I'm still holding out some hope I'll get an interview with CMU - did you just get it today?

Edited by prodmod

1 minute ago, prodmod said:

Congrats! I'm still holding out some hope I'll get an interview with CMU - did you just get it today?

Thanks! Actually they sent it on the 25th but i didnt see it untill a few days ago because it went into my spam email, woops.  They asked me to pick a spot to interview on either the 1st or 3rd of Feb so it may  be cutting it a little close, but there could be other interviews i dont know about. Fingers crossed for you!

4 minutes ago, NeverKnowWhat said:

Thanks! Actually they sent it on the 25th but i didnt see it untill a few days ago because it went into my spam email, woops.  They asked me to pick a spot to interview on either the 1st or 3rd of Feb so it may  be cutting it a little close, but there could be other interviews i dont know about. Fingers crossed for you!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes! CMU was my long shot app - was really interested in working with Golan Levin - if you talk to him be sure to let me fanboy on the experience.

Had an interview with UC Davis, but haven’t heard final results.

Waiting on 

VCU, Northwestern, Tyler, MICA, UofI and Yale

starting to feel like VCU and Northwestern were a no if other people have been hearing though. 

5 hours ago, willennium said:

Can you clarify which UC schools your friend has interviews with? There are more than 3 UC schools that I can think of. And congrats on UMN! Did they interview you or just call?

Oops, my mistake for saying ALL 3 — there’s definitely well over three! Looking back at our conversations, he applied to UCLA, Riverside, and Irvine. 

And thank you!! UMN is my top choice along with UW-Mad, so I’m excited. They called this morning and left a voicemail saying that I got accepted, no interview (thank goodness).

18 minutes ago, taylorjohnson said:

Oops, my mistake for saying ALL 3 — there’s definitely well over three! Looking back at our conversations, he applied to UCLA, Riverside, and Irvine. 

And thank you!! UMN is my top choice along with UW-Mad, so I’m excited. They called this morning and left a voicemail saying that I got accepted, no interview (thank goodness).

Ah ok thanks! Do you know which two he has interviews with?

You guys, my anxiety is out of control. I keep thinking I'm not gonna get in anywhere and I'm scared my statements weren't good enough etc etc. Do most schools send out interview requests by the 1st or is that just some schools?

12 minutes ago, acs000 said:

You guys, my anxiety is out of control. I keep thinking I'm not gonna get in anywhere and I'm scared my statements weren't good enough etc etc. Do most schools send out interview requests by the 1st or is that just some schools?

Me too. This is my second year doing this. I'm terrified this was all for nothing. So I feel you, let's just do our best to stay hopeful. 

Last year notifications were scattered throughout the beginning of February so don't put too much focus on tomorrow. Also lots of schools in the Midwest will be delayed due to the weather!

Edited by Karisjns

11 hours ago, Gblls said:

Had an interview with UC Davis, but haven’t heard final results.

Waiting on 

VCU, Northwestern, Tyler, MICA, UofI and Yale

starting to feel like VCU and Northwestern were a no if other people have been hearing though. 

yeah same for northwestern... but I also haven't been rejected. Do you think they send out multiple rounds of interview requests or just the one??