MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

Hi, I’m new here, as I just found this forum.  I am applying for MFA painting or interdisciplinary/ with focus on painting.

Thus far, I have only heard from FSU. I had an interview last week. It was about 45 minutes on the phone.  A lot of the expected questions and several questions that were very specific to my work.  Overall, I felt that they had invested a good bit of time in looking at my portfolio and background, and gave some very insightful feedback.  I was notified about the interview by email.

I am also applying to BU, Tulane, RISD, SMFA, UF, USF.  I have not heard from any of these.

The waiting is excruciating, and a lot of your comments made me feel better. Thank you!

1 hour ago, acs000 said:

You guys, my anxiety is out of control. I keep thinking I'm not gonna get in anywhere and I'm scared my statements weren't good enough etc etc. Do most schools send out interview requests by the 1st or is that just some schools?

Dude I feel you. My girlfriend doesn’t even let me check my analytics anymore because I was stalking the IP addresses to latitude and longitude ?

2 hours ago, acs000 said:

You guys, my anxiety is out of control. I keep thinking I'm not gonna get in anywhere and I'm scared my statements weren't good enough etc etc. Do most schools send out interview requests by the 1st or is that just some schools?

Def just some schools. I had 2 apps that weren’t even due till feb 1 so I’m  not expecting to hear from them yet. If u look at last years forum the interviews basically start in early feb so we are at the very beginning. But I do feel your pain I’m stressing. 

6 minutes ago, Aatt said:

Def just some schools. I had 2 apps that weren’t even due till feb 1 so I’m  not expecting to hear from them yet. If u look at last years forum the interviews basically start in early feb so we are at the very beginning. But I do feel your pain I’m stressing. 

Hey, do you know anyone else as well applying to graphic design in the same schools as us? Might help to get a better insight.

7 hours ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Has anyone heard from SAIC Communication Design? The interview calls were supposed to be out before 1st Feb and its racking my brains out, whether I'm getting it or not.

all of SAIC interview invitations r out...

3 hours ago, Kailyn90 said:

yeah same for northwestern... but I also haven't been rejected. Do you think they send out multiple rounds of interview requests or just the one??

I hope so, I haven’t heard a peep from Northwestern so?‍♀️ Also, I’m severely hoping VCU sculpture hasn’t sent anything out yet...since most people have been talking about hearing from painting

33 minutes ago, Gblls said:

I hope so, I haven’t heard a peep from Northwestern so?‍♀️ Also, I’m severely hoping VCU sculpture hasn’t sent anything out yet...since most people have been talking about hearing from painting

Last year people didn’t hear from VCU until mid/late Feb so maybe painting is just on top of it and other concentrations will be contacting people later? I hope!

35 minutes ago, Gblls said:

Hey -- fellow VCU Sculpture applicant here! For some relief: the app (Program Materials module) says that interview invitations are sent out in late Feb. henryfive's right -- different timing across depts...

1 hour ago, bingoboingo said:

Hey -- fellow VCU Sculpture applicant here! For some relief: the app (Program Materials module) says that interview invitations are sent out in late Feb. henryfive's right -- different timing across depts...

Ah thanks guys! For the life of me I couldn’t find info on that!

3 hours ago, Pallavi.Daga said:

Can you please tell me the source of the information? I haven’t heard anything from anywhere else regarding this. 

wait so u r communication design? maybe that department is still sending interview invitations, but interviews from all departments of SAIC r on 16th and 17th Feb, so most likely all of the departments have already sent their invitations...

hey guys I wonder what it means if the interviewer only had a VERY casual chat with you (cities you lived in, cities you used to live in, what to do after graduate...) and asked only ONE question about your works?

Although I understand that a 20 min interview is just too short to cover many things... Is it a bad sign coz it shows he's not that into your practice or something??

I'm very worried because this is my dream school...

1 hour ago, MFApainting2019 said:

hey guys I wonder what it means if the interviewer only had a VERY casual chat with you (cities you lived in, cities you used to live in, what to do after graduate...) and asked only ONE question about your works?

Although I understand that a 20 min interview is just too short to cover many things... Is it a bad sign coz it shows he's not that into your practice or something??

I'm very worried because this is my dream school...

Hey friend may I ask which school are you applying for?

17 hours ago, Sophie K said:

Guys I just received an interview invitation email from RISD, digital media department.  

Congrat!

I also got an invitation from RISD, digital media. Maybe at the same time. 

I also applied to Calarts art and tech, SAIC art and tech and USC roski. Have anyone heard from those departments? It seems SAIC already sent their invitations but I've never heard any from art and tech program.

Why am I sooo nervous :(

Edited by Bol

1 hour ago, Bol said:

Congrat!

I also got an invitation for RISD, digital media. Maybe at the same time. 

I also applied to Calarts art and tech, SAIC art and tech and USC roski. Have anyone heard from those departments? It seems SAIC already sent their invitations but I've never heard any from art and tech program.

Why am I sooo nervous :(

Same here :( Waiting for Calarts art and tech, SAIC art and tech and Artcenter MDP. 

Finger crossed to both of us!

Edited by Sophie K

1 hour ago, caoyue said:

Hey friend may I ask which school are you applying for?

I don't think that's a bad thing, otherwise they wouldn't have invited you for an interview. Maybe they just wanted an extra insight about your personality. Would like to know which school is this, though?