MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

2 hours ago, acs000 said:

I just got an interview request for SAIC! I won't lie, I cried. I had completely given up on Grad school this round. 

Editing to say that its for the Art and Tech department!

Yay congrats!!! You got this!

On 1/30/2019 at 12:58 PM, CatchThemAll said:

It seems like UC Irvine started sending out emails

Can you tell us how you know this?? Do you go there or know someone who has gotten an email from them? Their apps weren’t due til 1/15 so it seems super early for them to already have emails sent out.

Just now, yessssssss said:

Can you tell us how you know this?? Do you go there or know someone who has gotten an email from them? Their apps weren’t due til 1/15 so it seems super early for them to already have emails sent out.

I received an invitation via email with the suggested interview time!

2 hours ago, Bodys said:

Has anyone heard if Madison has begun notifying people at all? It looks like this past week and the next week are when they typically release their decisions.

Applied in printmaking, haven’t heard anything back yet. No changes on the app status, either. What was their method of notification in the past? Phone, email?

4 minutes ago, taylorjohnson said:
2 hours ago, Bodys said:

Has anyone heard if Madison has begun notifying people at all? It looks like this past week and the next week are when they typically release their decisions.

Applied in printmaking, haven’t heard anything back yet. No changes on the app status, either. What was their method of notification in the past? Phone, email?

Nothing here yet either! It looked to me like people heard back via email about interviews last year, but I could be misinterpreting!  Madison may also be delayed from weather, they were closed for at least one day this week.

Just now, chartblob said:

Nothing here yet either! It looked to me like people heard back via email about interviews last year, but I could be misinterpreting!  Madison may also be delayed from weather, they were closed for at least one day this week.

That was my thinking, too.

At least in Painting, I didn't see anything about interviews in previous years (but I might have been looking in a different place than you!) so I'm not sure if they accept/reject without interviewing candidates

I have an interview tomorrow morning for Portland State. What kind of questions do you think they would ask based on this description.

Seems like not enough time to answer any tough questions about my art, so I'm wondering if they're just interested in getting to know me. 

"The next step in our process is a 15-minute phone interview. This informal conversation gives us an opportunity to get a better sense of your interests while it offers you a chance to learn more about the program."

11 minutes ago, Sophie K said:

Okay, I just got an interview request via email from SAIC Art&Tech. 

So bizarre, I got my art and tech request in the mail. No email! But hello nice to meet you fellow Art n Tech cohort!

2 minutes ago, acs000 said:

So bizarre, I got my art and tech request in the mail. No email! But hello nice to meet you fellow Art n Tech cohort!

Yeah that's weird ? Anyway, hope to see you on campus in September! ;) 

44 minutes ago, Bodys said:

That was my thinking, too.

At least in Painting, I didn't see anything about interviews in previous years (but I might have been looking in a different place than you!) so I'm not sure if they accept/reject without interviewing candidates

I don’t think all schools do interviews. I got accepted to SCAD a few weeks ago without ever interviewing, so could be the same for Madison. 

3 minutes ago, artsixteen said:

Just heard back from Yale (painting) and received an interview. As I'm living in the UK I'll need to do a Skype interview... I also need to send work over which is new to me ?

Hello, a bit unrelated to this thread, but i'm also from the UK and curious do you know what sources help give funding for students going abroad? Traditional student finance apparently doesn't support foreign studies and kinda concerned about what to do if I get admitted :/ 

On 1/27/2019 at 6:25 PM, Zander said:

Received official Skype interview email notification at midnight for an interview with two painting faculty and one current painting student. They are trying to fit all painting interviews for this Friday and throughout the weekend.  The program is super small, looks like they might only take 2 or 3 painters a year. 

Have you had your interview with UT Austin yet? Or anyone else know about their interview process?

20 minutes ago, yessssssss said:

Have you had your interview with UT Austin yet? Or anyone else know about their interview process?

My interview is scheduled for Sunday morning. The tone of the email suggested that they were trying to squeeze all of the painting interviews for Friday and throughout the weekend.