MFA 2019 Freak Out Forum

justaylor

17 hours ago, Ais said:

Hello, a bit unrelated to this thread, but i'm also from the UK and curious do you know what sources help give funding for students going abroad? Traditional student finance apparently doesn't support foreign studies and kinda concerned about what to do if I get admitted ?

Depending on the school they might have information dedicated to that question on their website. Or you can look at private scholarship opportunities for international students or from UK. I am similarly concerned about the funding for international students coming to the UK! I have an interview with RCA and I don't think they offer any money to international students. I'm searching all over for private funding. Any tips appreciated.  

33 minutes ago, ACarney said:

Depending on the school they might have information dedicated to that question on their website. Or you can look at private scholarship opportunities for international students or from UK. I am similarly concerned about the funding for international students coming to the UK! I have an interview with RCA and I don't think they offer any money to international students. I'm searching all over for private funding. Any tips appreciated.  

Thanks for the feedback! I'm from NI so if I get into one of my programmes I am planning to ask the Irish art advocacy organisation we have (VIA) or arts council what they might be able recommend, will keep you informed :-)

I was rejected by Yale for Graphic Design MFA. I’m not really disappointed because of the low acceptance rate.

I thought I had a strong portfolio and reccomendations. In undergrad, my gpa was 3.87 and I double majored in graphic design and interactive media and I’ve had a lot of internship and job experience. I’m thinking maybe my style isn’t what they’re looking for. Looking at their current students work, it looks much more abstract than my work.

Or it could be because I’m freshly out of undergrad. I’m not sure, just speculating.

Now I’m waiting to hear from RISD, Boston University, and MassArt. ?

Edited by GummyPegasus

33 minutes ago, GummyPegasus said:

I was rejected by Yale for Graphic Design MFA. I’m not really disappointed because of the low acceptance rate.

I thought I had a strong portfolio and reccomendations. In undergrad, my gpa was 3.87 and I double majored in graphic design and interactive media and I’ve had a lot of internship and job experience. I’m thinking maybe my style isn’t what they’re looking for. Looking at their current students work, it looks much more abstract than my work.

Or it could be because I’m freshly out of undergrad. I’m not sure, just speculating.

I'm waiting on MassArt as well, good luck!

Just had my interview with Portland State for the MFA in Studio Practice.

It was scheduled for 15 minutes, but we talked for 30 minutes. Hopefully that's not a bad thing. 

The questions they asked (for anyone with an interview soon and are wondering how it will go):

Why do you want to go to graduate school? Why now?

Are you open to experimenting and breaking out of your comfort zone with your work?

Can you tell me about your current creative concepts?

Where do you see your art progressing in the future?

Are there any projects, books or films that have inspired you and your work?

What contemporary artists are you interested right now?

Why have you chosen to apply to this institution/program?

Are you open to working on projects outside of the University?

They also opened the floor to any questions that I had for them.

Hope this is helpful!

Edited by Karisjns

freaking out a little about interviews and not hearing back still

if any of you applied to Columbia, let me know when you hear back! 

I also applied to NYU, UCLA, and USC. 

I interviewed at NYU last year and they tend to to theirs pretty late so I'm waiting to hear back from them. UCLA doesn't always interview and I don't really know how USC does it, but I know Columbia does and it's my top choice so I'm really nervous!

4 hours ago, GummyPegasus said:

Everything I have heard about Yale MFA is that they do not want you straight out of undergrad—this comes from my past instructors with Yale MFAs and also people on here that are repeating what they allegedly heard at open houses for Yale. So, don’t take it too bad that you did not get in. 

5 hours ago, GummyPegasus said:

I was also rejected by Yale. Indeed, a rejection does not mean that our portfolios are not good enough. I think it should be that this program is not suitable. Good luck:)

3 hours ago, Machines said:

Anyone else hear from Michigan MFA? The one person said they were emailed to set up an interview.  Was curious if I should knock it off the list because I have not :)

No I haven’t heard of anyone else that has heard from them! I also applied and it’s two or three on my list so I’ve been keeping up to date. But for the record I have not heard anyone other than the one here that said they got an interview so

34 minutes ago, Zander said:

Can't speak for other disciplines but Yale painting has definitely taken folks straight out of undergrad and they've definitely interviewed undergrad candidates.

They have and do! But for exceptional cases. For example a certain graphic designer, whose initials are EH, was accepted into Yale’s MFA program right out of undergrad. But he also won the ADC award in his 3rd year of uni.

A really good example of exception, hahaha

Edited by Bluetooth

For anyone that's been accepted to a program so far... Has your "application status" been updated yet? I got my UMN acceptance by phone, but app status still says "Submitted - Awaiting Decision". Perhaps I'm just being obsessive, but it makes me doubtful and wonder if the call was made in error. ?

But then again, that could be the impostor syndrome talking!

Edited by taylorjohnson

Not sure if anyone applied for the MFA in Studio Art for the University at Buffalo, but I received an email from the graduate director, Matt Kenyon, who informed me that deadlines have been extended to February 20th for MFA applications, but they will be sending out the first round of offers for those that applied by the original January 15th deadline very soon.

This is my first time through this process - what should I take it to mean if others are receiving rejections and interviews from a school but I've heard neither? Just heading to the next round if they don't find who theyre looking for in an interview? Or is silence as good as a rejection?

8 hours ago, Karisjns said:

Not sure if anyone applied for the MFA in Studio Art for the University at Buffalo, but I received an email from the graduate director, Matt Kenyon, who informed me that deadlines have been extended to February 20th for MFA applications, but they will be sending out the first round of offers for those that applied by the original January 15th deadline very soon.

So either they fell behind for some reason or they are hoping to get more applicants. :)

8 hours ago, prodmod said:

This is my first time through this process - what should I take it to mean if others are receiving rejections and interviews from a school but I've heard neither? Just heading to the next round if they don't find who theyre looking for in an interview? Or is silence as good as a rejection?

You can email the office and ask them if you're on the interview list if it really bothers you! 

Edited by CatchThemAll

Does anyone know if applicants email to thank the faculty after an interview? Totally unsure about the usual etiquette and of course I can always find a new thing to worry about lol

37 minutes ago, Ais said:

Does anyone know if applicants email to thank the faculty after an interview? Totally unsure about the usual etiquette and of course I can always find a new thing to worry about lol

I definitely would!

35 minutes ago, Ais said:

I sent snail mail thank you notes to my interviewers' offices afterwards, but nothing wrong with email either. I dont think it's something that's expected, but it seems like a nice gesture.